Northeast Fleet Winter Meeting -- Jan. 22, 2011

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post Mortem

Post by Neil Gordon »

Special post-meeting thanks, in no particular order, to:

Joe Montana, for scouting venues and making arrangements with Flanders Fish Market.

Leo and Ruth for hosting a wonderful post-meeting reception to toast the Fleet officers.

Captain Norman Leblanc for speaking and teaching us all we could learn in an hour on surveying in general and Cape Dorys in particular.

Dick Barthel, retiring after six years of service as Northeast Fleet Lieutenant.

Joe Myerson, for stepping up to take Dick's place.

To all who cleaned their lockers, basements and garages to donate raffle items.

To all who by their presence, made the 2011 Northeast Fleet Winter Meeting a great event.

See you at Cabin Fever. Let the 2011 sailing season begin!
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

I just received my February 2011 issue of SAIL magazine. At page 55 there is an excellent article on buying a used sailboat. Norm LeBlanc is quoted extensively in the article. There is also an entire page with pictures devoted to Mr. LeBlanc and appears to contain his observations on things to look for, be careful of, etc.

I am sure he was very entertaining and educational. I had talked with him once when I was considering making an offer on a Cape Dory 25D in the New England area. He was very helpful and kind and spent considerable time talking with me on the phone. Unfortunately, that particular CD 25D was sold before I had a chance to get on a plane.
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Dick Barthel

Meeting

Post by Dick Barthel »

Neil, Norm was terrific and so was the meeting. The highlight as always was building on the friendships that we've made over the years both at the meeting and then more intimately at Ruth & Leo's. I learned from a fellow CD25der that I met for the first time that I can indeed have a windvane and a stern ladder on the same boat. Google "25D and wind vane" and see for yourself. I learned from Norm that I probably should think about changing my running rigging but I really don't need to worry much about my rudder falling off. Also that you should run from a boat with bad toe rails - can be $15-$20K in material and labor - yikes. Now I feel some what justified in all the time I spend varnishing.

Thanks Neil, Joe and Joe for a great meeting. Thanks to Leo and Ruth for their unbelievable hospitality.

I can't wait for sailing to begin. I think I heard Neil say he was going down to the boat today to maybe pull the cover.

Dick
Last edited by Dick Barthel on Jan 23rd, '11, 10:20, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Walsh

winter meeting

Post by Jim Walsh »

This was the first NE Fleet Meeting I've attended and my girlfriend and I both enjoyed ourselves. The venue was great and the opportunity to renew acquaintances and make new friends is always appreciated. The guest speaker was entertaining and knowledgable and the officers did an outstanding job as usual. Thank you one and all.
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Thanks to one and all

Post by Joe Myerson »

Neil,

Norm was a great choice for a guest speaker, even though I'm kind of worried about those leaks that might be coming from my toe rail.

And Joe: Your selection of the Flanders Fish Market & Restaurant was brilliant! It was a comfortable venue, the buffet was reasonably priced, and the company was, as always, outstanding.

And Dick: You rascal! How did you manage to convince me to take on the weighty responsibilities of Fleet Lieutenant? My shoulders are already sagging under all those duties. But at least I got the new, official, Fleet Lieutenant's hat at the giveaway.

And, of course, to Ruth and Leo: Thanks for hosting the reception at Lonesome Dove.

Also, I want to thank Steve Laume and Liz for letting Lynne and me test-drive their car GPS. Now we've got another gadget to purchase.

Officiously yours,

Lt. Joe Myerson, Northeast Fleet
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

N. E. Fleet Meeting

Post by Oswego John »

Pictures. We need pictures. We live on pictures. Pictures nourish us. We thrive on pictures.

Pictures of your event sort of lets the ones who can't be there take part in absentia with you guys. And please put some names to those faces in the pictures so we can get to know you a little better. Get the picture? (pun) :D

Thanks.
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Dean Abramson

Amen

Post by Dean Abramson »

I would also like to extend my most sincere thanks to everyone who made the meeting and reception happen. To Leo and Ruth, Joe Montana, Joe Myerson, Dick, Neil, Don and Diana, and anyone I am forgetting.

It was my first fleet meting, and I had a terrific time. It was super to meet in the flesh many folks who I have heretofore "known" only on the board.

Norm LeBlanc was a superb speaker. It was a great lunch for only twenty bucks, and I even got away with a super door prize, a book on the infamous Donald Crowhurst.

If you are ever traveling thru CT, I would highly recommend Ruth's and Leo's lovely home/B&B. A special thanks again to Ruth for all of the cooking of delicious food for the reception.

Between chatting with so many other CDers, and in particular spending a weekend with my man Lenny, I learned a lot about sailing these last two days. And a little bit (all good) about Dark n Stormies.

Even though I personally cannot be there this year, I highly recommend the upcoming Cabin Fever Luncheon.

Fair winds, all.

Dean
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
Solmar
Robinhood 36
Wolfeboro, NH

Photos

Post by Solmar »

Please click on the link below to view some photos from yesterday's meeting and the gathering at Leo & Ruth's. I apologize in advance for the lack of photo labeling.

http://picasaweb.google.com/11447188349 ... directlink

Solmar

Please feel free to open up my galley to view other photos from the 2010 season.
Last edited by Solmar on Jan 23rd, '11, 20:41, edited 1 time in total.
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

Nice photos. Sorry I couldn't make it this year. Alas, I had to work.

Wait till next year!!!
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Nice photos, Brian

Post by Joe Myerson »

Brian,

Thanks for posting these. Perhaps we could use one or two in the next MASTHEAD?

--Joe Myerson
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

From Norm LeBlanc

Post by Neil Gordon »

Received this morning via email:

Neil, Many thanks for allowing me to carry on with a great group of sailers. Anytime you need me just ask. Great day/great people, I enjoyed the day, Happy Sailing to all, Best, Norm
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698