cd 33 spreader boot

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

doubleb

cd 33 spreader boot

Post by doubleb »

What is the spreader boot size for a cd33 S/M/L. Work in progress for a new boat to us.

Thanks
B.B.
Any sugestions for a good mast boot?
MFC
Hull No.128

Hey -- this was a good question!

Post by MFC »

Anyone have an answer? -)
TIA
Matt
Jeff and Sarah
Location: CD33 "Prerequisite" / CD28 Flybridge Trawler "Toboggan"; Annapolis, MD

Large, but...

Post by Jeff and Sarah »

I first bought medium and was surprised when it wasn't even close to fitting correctly. I returned them and bought large which fit, but not very well at all. Were I to do it again with sufficient time to find the material, I'd go with some type of leather with stitching.

So large will work, but it only doesn't look horrible because it's so far from eye level.

For a mast boot, I've had great luck with the typical white boot tape. To plug the mast track, I rolled and folded a small piece of rubber (from an inner tube) and wedged it into the track. I put a small amount of silicone on top of that and haven't had a drop come down the track since.
Wingaersheek II
Cape Dory 27 #250
Port Washington, WI

Post by Wingaersheek II »

I no longer use boots on my spreaders. My spreader tips are nicely rounded - there's nothing to catch or snag. It's quicker to rig, easier to inspect and I think it looks better.
Russell

Post by Russell »

Wingaersheek II wrote:I no longer use boots on my spreaders. My spreader tips are nicely rounded - there's nothing to catch or snag. It's quicker to rig, easier to inspect and I think it looks better.
While I do have spreader boots currently, I entirely agree with this. Next time I have the rig down, or I am aloft and "in the area" I intend to remove the boots and simply seize them. Nothing can really snag there and boots only serve to trap moisture in an area you absolutely do not want moisture trapped.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
mike ritenour

Spreader wrap

Post by mike ritenour »

I wrap mine with the white double sided rubberized sailing tape, after putting teflon gel over the screws, then cover the lot with white electrical tape.
Since our mast comes down most winters, the wrap always lasts a season and when we gone foreign they've lasted over two seasons.
Rit