Boat selling advice

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

TheSandPebbles
CD31 #18
Charleston, SC

Boat selling advice

Post by TheSandPebbles »

I've just added a post to the for sale category. I'm in Miami now and am looking for some advice on selling the boat. Can anyone recommend a good inexpensive place on the E coast of FL to haul out the boat, paint, and leave for sale? Any advice on using an agent to sell the boat or doing it yourself?
Thanks
Perry
S/V ALEXANDRA
CD31 #18
Charleston, SC
"Tough, Rugged, and Happy"
http://sailingexpeditionalexandra.blogspot.com/
Kevin Kaldenbach
Location: Cape Dory 31 “Kerry Ann“. Currently in Corpus Christi TX and Typhoon Weekender “Wimpyâ€

Post by Kevin Kaldenbach »

If you are close to your boat sell it yourself. You are the person who is most knowledgeable about it. Tell buyers in person about the wonderful trip you took. Let them know about the CDSOA. When they leave have them feeling that they are like the rest of us CD nuts.
We spent three weeks traveling the Gulf Coast from Texas to Key West looking at Trawlers. It was a miserable three weeks thanks to the bull we got from brokers. There are a couple of boats that we never looked at because the brokers would not get off of their lazy asses to show. I mean we tried to set things up going to Key West and coming back. We never heard a Trawler start during the whole trip, even one that we bid on and it was accepted. Needless to say we backed out of that deal. Brokers play both ends against the middle. Also keep in mind that if you pay to keep it in one of their slips they are making money by not selling it.
The economy sucks right now. Don’t be discouraged it will sell sooner or later. What do you want for it?
Kevin
CD 31 "Kerry Ann"
kaldenbach.us
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Hello Perry:

Where in Miami are you docked/moored now :?:

One of the better places is Grove Key Marina in Miami (Coconut Grove). Their phone number is 305.858.6527. Paul, the manager, is a very nice guy and very knowledgeable about sailboats. He lived aboard and raced sailboats for several years. It is also a DIY yard so you can hire out or do your own.

The marina is also well situated within South Florida for people who would want to drive to inspect, etc.

It is also next to a very nice outdoor restaurant, Scotty's Landing, that by mere coincidence serves Guinness on tap. :wink: :wink: And great ribs :!:

There is a hardware store and WM in the area, but not really within walking distance.

It is also next to the Coconut Grove Sailing Club.

I live in Miami. If I can assist with anything, including local taxi service, etc., please let me know. Send me a PM with your phone number if I can help with anything.
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
billc

Post by billc »

i recommend the Green Cove Springs marina in Green Cove Springs, Fl. you'll have to come down the st. johns river from Jax to green cove. but the yard is great for do it yourself or hire it out. prices are very reasonable and its not far from Jacksonville and st. augustine. the yard has maybe 50 good sized sailboats ungoing refit right now. the location was part of the US Navy's large freshwater port which closed many years ago. they have some large piers and an anchorage. green cove is a quiet little town. goggle the phone number and they will email you the rate list.

there are also a couple yards in St. Augustine one being Xynides but prices are a bit higher. nice place to stay though.
Last edited by billc on Jan 7th, '11, 11:18, edited 1 time in total.
Boyd

DIY Boat yard

Post by Boyd »

I have used Playboy Marine in Dania, Fla. for years. Its just east of the Fort Lauderdale International Airport. Nice clean and well run. Its also about the only surviving yard that is DIY in this area.

Playboy Marine Center
760 Taylor Lane
Dania Fla.
954 920 0533

Boyd
s/v Tern
CD30 MkII
Fort Lauderdale, Fla.