Issues To Removing Port Cabin Cabnet and Stove Counter?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Shipscarver
"SOUL MATE"

Issues To Removing Port Cabin Cabnet and Stove Counter?

Post by Shipscarver »

I have lived alone aboard my CD 27 for almost 2 years and want to make a needed improvement but have stalled out due to fear of screwing up the strength of my boat.
I want to remove the stove shelf and the port back cabinet, and install a gimbaled propane stove/oven over the center of the existing bunk area, and install a second water tank and storage cabinet/counter top in the area where the existing alcohol stove/shelf unit is. The PO turned the port side under bunk water tank into a black water tank (*%*^&&%$&^!!!!).
Will I create structural problems :roll: by removing the teak cabinet (sofa back), and shelf?
Shipscarver
Sailing the Florida Gulf
Duncan
Montreal, QC

No structural problems

Post by Duncan »

You won't cause any structural problems, but do you really want to lose the whole settee and all the storage on the port side?

I think there are ways to add propane and a water tank without such major surgery.
Russell

Post by Russell »

I doubt you would create a structural issue, you wont be removing a bulkhead or anything. It would probably be a nice setup for a liveaboard 27, its not an uncommon arrangement on smaller boats to have only one setee or a dinette on one side and galley taking up the entire other side. And despite duncans suggestion, I think you would actually be increasing your storage space, assuming you would be making the rest of the setee not taken up by the stove into a counter (with storage under it). Putting a water tank where the origonal stove was (I assume starboard) will probably help alleviate and list issues you create by putting a heavy stove/oven to port.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Ray Garcia

Post by Ray Garcia »

In my opinion, the stove shelf is not structurally vital to the overall strength of your boat. The bulkheads provide the majority of the stiffness to the hull. The seat-back and shelf as well are not a major structural section but do tie in (screws) to both major bulkheads on the boat. Removing them should not pose a major structural problem. The real problem is the additional weight of your proposed modifications. You would be shifting the weight distribution in the boat with the additional tank and stove/oven. I would take this into consideration and make adjustments as necessary. I have seen some owners make modifications with the same removal of the pieces you are inquiring about. The port side under bunk tank is the holding tank for the head as originally installed by the factory. Some owners have removed this and located the tank elsewhere or have installed a porta-potti.
Shipscarver
"SOUL MATE"

port settee changes

Post by Shipscarver »

I lost the unneeded port settee a year ago. I have a microwave under the stove shelf, a 1 cubic ft. refrig sitting on the seat, and a large plastic tub holding food supplies at the foreward bulkhead end. I am open to ideas on how to add a water tank, a food storage/gear storage cabinet, and a stove/oven (I love sourdough bread). Anyone have ideas/pictures on redoing the port side to make it useful?
Shipscarver
Sailing the Florida Gulf
Ray Garcia

Post by Ray Garcia »

As a matter of fact there is...
http://picasaweb.google.com/10443006960 ... directlink#

This link is from an owner who rebuilt the galley area on a CD27. Check the "Project Photo's" area for a more detailed description of his work. Scroll down the page for the post.
Shipscarver
"SOUL MATE"

Port side cabin changes

Post by Shipscarver »

Good comments, but suggests an even bigger project to make the current icebox and sink area into a water tank and storage area, and move the icebox and sink to the port side. I remember a Morgan 28 with the entire port side as a galley cabnet with everything built in.
I am considering pulling out the head so I can install a mast post and add a spot for a bicycle. BTW - I sleep on the starboard settee and the V-berth belongs to the cat and storage.
Shipscarver
Sailing the Florida Gulf
Shipscarver
"SOUL MATE"

cabin changes

Post by Shipscarver »

Being an old audio video media creator and adult educator type, :roll: I wish people would take a lot more pictures! We never realize how much others will value all those, "wasteful" shots of "obvious" intermediate work steps and notes on plannig issues.
Shipscarver
Sailing the Florida Gulf
SurryMark

Post by SurryMark »

The link posted by Ray Garcia is real interesting, if only for a look at what's underneath. The current Woodenboat has a piece on a fellow who has been living on a 27' plywood cutter for ten years. He's done everything on the cheap, and nicely.
Mark Baldwin
Surry, Maine
www.borealispress.net