Cape Dory 28 for sale, Deale MD

Selling or looking for a Cape Dory? Selling or looking for used gear? List your "Wanted to Buy" or "For Sale" items here.
AlexDz

Cape Dory 28 for sale, Deale MD

Post by AlexDz »

I have finally decided that I will not be able to undertake refurbishing Emerald anytime soon and will sell her instead. She is Hull 200, from 1976 I believe. I have a survey that was done when I bought her late last year that you're welcome to see.

Pictures are available at my Picasa album here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/alex.diaz.1 ... aldBefore#

The hull and rig appear solid enough, and the sails are in excellent condition. The roller furler could use a new furling line and needs a replacement block/cleat seat up, but works perfectly (no jib boom). The interior cushions were recovered with green Sunbrella and are in very good condition, although dirty. The original winches were replaced with much larger ones that work well, but which I think are ugly. New or newish main and genoa sheets. Complete set of those closed cell foam cockpit cushions (I forget the name).

The cockpit sole is soft; there is only a portapotti in the head; there appears to be some water intrusion at the hull/deck joint; the exterior wood looks awful, although it may just need refinishing; the pushpit needs one of the baseplates rewelded; and other stuff.

The primary issue with her is the unknown condition of the motor. It's the original MD7a, and she does run well, but there is NO cooling water flowing. I have a refurbished exhaust manifold and thermostat housing ready to go on, but I no longer think the problem was a blockage there (originals were rotten). I ran the engine for just short periods when I sailed her across the Bay initially in order to avoid overheating, and when I pulled the water pump apart the impeller appeared undamaged. I would have expected that dry running would have done some damage to it, so it may not be turning. Otherwise, I really have no idea what the engine will require to repair.

I only ever sailed her once, to get her from Rock Hall to Deale in MD. It was a hard slog in over 20 knots steady and gusting over 25, dead on the nose except for the few miles down the Chester River, and she handled it splendidly--which I'm sure is no surprise to anyone here.

I'm asking $4k for her, which is less than I paid (no surprise there!). The surveyor concluded that she was certainly worth at least what I paid. Please call me at 703-862-0614 if interested. No cell phones at my job so please leave a message.
Last edited by AlexDz on Jan 3rd, '11, 15:45, edited 1 time in total.
Alex Diaz
Chantilly, VA
longislandsailor
Greenlawn, NY

May be interested

Post by longislandsailor »

Would you send me the survey? longislandsailor@gmail.com
What year is she?
Does it have the original jib boom or at least the associated deck fitting?
Do you have any pictures of the deck, cockpit, etc.?

Thanks. Looking forward to hearing from you.

-Chris
"Nodding the head does not row the boat"
-Irish Proverb
longislandsailor
Greenlawn, NY

Post by longislandsailor »

...also, any interior pics? Thanks again.
-Chris
"Nodding the head does not row the boat"
-Irish Proverb