Pitch the Pole, Good Old Boat Nov/Dec 2010 page 58

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Troy Scott

Matrix or Tri-Radial?

Post by Troy Scott »

kerlandsen,

Your spinnaker looks less "full shouldered" than some. You wrote that it doesn't sail as deeply as you would like. Would you say your spinnaker is more like a "tri-radial" or a "matrix" design?
Regards,
Troy Scott
kerlandsen

Post by kerlandsen »

The asym in not very full shouldered. And yes this is the cause of lack of depth in the sail.
Most Asym's are not as full as Syms, which in some respects make them more efficient. Typically Asyms cannot sail as deep as syms, partly due the lack the ability to square the pole back, but in this conversation, there is no pole.

Cruising spins are typically a little smaller than racing and yes, less shouldered. I am not sure what this would be called. I feel that names change with fashions trends.

The actual panel layout is triradial, Nylite 90.

Reaching in 4-14 kts the sail is incredible. Running in 15 is actually not so good, but I can reach so fast, I have no issues reaching and gybing downwind.

Also, keep in mind that there is a small group of sailors out there that refer to our boats as 4ktsb's. So, when I say FAST, it is still 5.5. kts and nothing more. Max speed with that kite was 7.4 with waves and this was followed by the busted sprit.

Kyle
Jeff and Sarah
Location: CD33 "Prerequisite" / CD28 Flybridge Trawler "Toboggan"; Annapolis, MD

Post by Jeff and Sarah »

Your set-up looks pretty good! How do you secure the sprit to the boat?
kerlandsen

Post by kerlandsen »

it is thru bolted to the stem fitting.
I had done this with a Typhoon senior a few years ago with the same method.

Of course longer is better, but the main goal is to have the tack line in front of the bow pulpit.

I had always been worried about permanant damage to the stem fitting if something went wrong, so when this sprit broke, I had a long look at the fitting, All good. I was glad the sprit was a 'sacrificial' system. The new one is slightly shorter and will have a release mechanism (read: small string) to break before anything else does.

There are some systems available from some of the aftermarket spare manufactureres that are made from aluminum and I think very ugly and not so smooth around the corners. In my boat, an alluminum pole would look really bad, thus the varnished white oak.

Kyle
kerlandsen

Post by kerlandsen »

it is thru bolted to the stem fitting.
I had done this with a Typhoon senior a few years ago with the same method.

Of course longer is better, but the main goal is to have the tack line in front of the bow pulpit.

I had always been worried about permanant damage to the stem fitting if something went wrong, so when this sprit broke, I had a long look at the fitting, All good. I was glad the sprit was a 'sacrificial' system. The new one is slightly shorter and will have a release mechanism (read: small string) to break before anything else does.

There are some systems available from some of the aftermarket spare manufactureres that are made from aluminum and I think very ugly and not so smooth around the corners. In my boat, an alluminum pole would look really bad, thus the varnished white oak.

Kyle
Troy Scott

my ideal

Post by Troy Scott »

Kyle,

About three or four messages down into this thread:

http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic ... ht=flasher

you will see a group of photos of Cathy and Bruces' boat flying a beautiful Flasher. The last photo, from off the quarter with the boat on a broad reach, demonstrates what I believe I want in a "full shouldered" asym. Thoughts?
Regards,
Troy Scott
kerlandsen

Post by kerlandsen »

I agree the other kite has larger shoulder and therefore probably better for deeper angles.

My sail is pretty versatile, since I can almost go up wind with it in really light air.

Everything comes with a "cost".

In those pictures, it appears they are alos reaching, based on two things, the other sailboat in the picture is able to keep their genoa full, and the location of the boom.

My thoughts on my sail is that it is so much bigger than any genoa (fractional rig) that anything is better for getting downwind. Again, sometimes the bigger shoulders would help get down farther. As a result of that, and no desire to buy another spin, I am going to invest in a reliable whisker pole to pole out the genoa. Of course the whisker pole is really going to be a modified boat hook. two uses in one.
Kyle