CD26D True Weight? "Tippy"

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

M. R. Bober

Post by M. R. Bober »

I think the Alberg Association used to award the "Keels With Wheels" trophy for running aground.

The point raised by Ralph and Jim, begs the question of tire size and tread pattern. Would snow tires, on the Buick, be as effective on a rocky bottom as all-season radials? Front wheel drive or rear?

It would seem intuitively obvious that the transmission should be in neutral when the wheels contact the bottom, but performance under--more--normal conditions would probably favor keeping the selector in "park." Perhaps John Vigor would espouse a contrary theory, with aeronautical analogies?

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Lancaster (where if you play with fire you may get burned, and if you play with the wheel, you may get turned), VA
CDSOA Founding Member
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

Still does

Post by Jim Davis »

The A30 Association still awards "Keel Wheels" every year. It is a nice plaque suitable for wall mounting with a roller skate and small engraved brass plates. It has one extension section hanging from the lower edge. It is awarded for the most spectacular grounding of the year ( or to someone who has been prolific in his endeavors). It has been awarded to anchor boats whose rafts have grounded and in one case a boat that anchored over an oyster reef at high tide. Decorum dictates that if there were actual casualties in the event that grounding is not considered.
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
John Vigor

Sacrificial Buicks

Post by John Vigor »

M. R. Bober wrote:I think the Alberg Association used to award the "Keels With Wheels" trophy for running aground.

The point raised by Ralph and Jim, begs the question of tire size and tread pattern. Would snow tires, on the Buick, be as effective on a rocky bottom as all-season radials? Front wheel drive or rear?

It would seem intuitively obvious that the transmission should be in neutral when the wheels contact the bottom, but performance under--more--normal conditions would probably favor keeping the selector in "park." Perhaps John Vigor would espouse a contrary theory, with aeronautical analogies?

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Lancaster (where if you play with fire you may get burned, and if you play with the wheel, you may get turned), VA
Mitch, there seems to be a general misconception here that the Buick should be attached to the keel the right way up -- that is, with its wheels on the bottom.

That is not the case. In every instance I've witnessed, the Buick has been attached upside down, with its wheels placed against the hull of the boat.

In this manner, when a boat suddenly runs aground, the Buick's wheels allow the boat to slide smoothly forward in water still deep enough for navigation. And you are quite right -- the Buick should be in neutral all the time, of course.

People in the trade know this as the sacrificial Buick.

Sometimes a grounding is so gentle that you hardly notice it, which is why a yearly inspection is recommended to check on the sacrificial Buick and to secure a new one if necessary.

Mitch, I hope this helps.

John V.
CruiseAlong
Seaford, VA

CD26"D"

Post by CruiseAlong »

The CD26 had introduced an option of adding a diesel to the boat if wanted shortly after the introduction of the CD26 outboard. So you might consider the CD26D as those very few who opted for the inboard diesel. AS to tender...well I have have been in some steep waves with a CD26 which would have flipped a more modern design. Think of a coke bottle.....I will take the "soft" entry feature of the wine glass hull design any time instead of the pounding in short chop. At the dock, yes tender, at sea is another thing...very well behaved. At the dock I really don't care that much....
Cruise-a-along
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

CD26 "D"

Post by Oswego John »

Hi CruiseAlong,

Thanks to you and Russell for info on the CD26 "D". Up till Rollo's recent post, I've never heard that CD made an optional Diesel power available for the CD26.

It seems to be a rare bird, indeed. Do you possibly have any idea how many Diesel 26s were made? I don't think many people have much knowledge about this species.

BTW, I agree with your soft chine theory concerning tippiness.

Best regards,
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: CD26 "D"

Post by Neil Gordon »

Oswego John wrote: I've never heard that CD made an optional Diesel power available for the CD26.
OJ, the optional diesel was for the Buick.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Oswego John

Optional Diesel

Post by Oswego John »

Hi Neil,

A heavy jobby like that in a CD, it must have been a Roadmaster.

Would you know if it was a 6 or an 8 cylinder? How about the tanks, empty or full?

Any special procedure for winterizing?

You have surely whetted my curiosity. :D

O J
I seriously think that it is a good idea to revert to the Saturday puns.
A Buick in the bilge, and to think that some people snickered when I casually mentioned that I was thinking of putting a (grand) piano in my Ty Weekender. Hmmph
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Optional Diesel

Post by Neil Gordon »

Oswego John wrote:... and to think that some people snickered when I casually mentioned that I was thinking of putting a (grand) piano in my Ty Weekender. Hmmph
OJ, there's a large handful of us here who can put a grand into our boats with a simple visit to sailmaker or marine store.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
drysuit2
Location: Segue, 1985 Cape Dory 26 Hull # 15 Port Washington NY

Re: Still does

Post by drysuit2 »

Jim Davis wrote:The A30 Association still awards "Keel Wheels" every year. It is a nice plaque suitable for wall mounting with a roller skate and small engraved brass plates. It has one extension section hanging from the lower edge. It is awarded for the most spectacular grounding of the year ( or to someone who has been prolific in his endeavors). It has been awarded to anchor boats whose rafts have grounded and in one case a boat that anchored over an oyster reef at high tide. Decorum dictates that if there were actual casualties in the event that grounding is not considered.
I find running aground once a year is a good way to scrape the barnacles from your bottom. I find that a nice sandy shoal at full speed works best: but my CD26 comes with the "special Rock seeking" option. I still can't figure out how to disable it after all these years.
Oswego John

Re: Optional Diesel

Post by Oswego John »

Neil Gordon wrote:
Oswego John wrote:... and to think that some people snickered when I casually mentioned that I was thinking of putting a (grand) piano in my Ty Weekender. Hmmph
OJ, there's a large handful of us here who can put a grand into our boats with a simple visit to sailmaker or marine store.
Neil,

I have to admit that your last post will be hard to beat. I thrive on double entendres.

Very clever, :D
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490