Setting the main singlehanded

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

versine

Setting the main singlehanded

Post by versine »

Good evening,

I have a problem when I want set my main (without autopilot) : the boat dont keep his head when I pull at the halyard.

Have you any ideas for this problem ? For exemple, it is better to have the halyard on the mast or in the cockpit ? How to tie the tiller, set the jib before, etc.

Thank you by advance

Jacques
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Bungee cord

Post by Joe Myerson »

Hi Jacques,

Before I got an autopilot, I used to attach a bungee cord to the end of the boom and the tiller, and either let the boat luff as I raised the mainsail or run the engine at a very slow speed.

This system was far from foolproof, but it worked under many conditions, especially if I raised the main quickly.

My halyards do not run to the cockpit, and my biggest problem was caused by prop-walk when I used the engine.

Another possibility is to build up some forward momentum directly into the wind, cut the engine and raise that sail as quickly as you can.

Once again, the bungee cord can help somewhat.

Bonne chance,

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
bhartley
CD25D #184 "Pyxis"

CDSOA Member #785

Raising the main

Post by bhartley »

On our 25D we have an autopilot, but I tend to not use it unless it is windy. My technique is to leave the mainsheet loose so the main doesn't fill when I raise the main. I leave the engine running with just enough speed to provide forward motion, go forward (with the main already uncovered and loose) and raise the main.

If I have to tie the tiller, I use a clovehitch on the tiller with the tail of the cleated jib sheet (jib down) on the "windward" side. While forward and before I loose the halyard, I check how the boat is tracking. Sometimes the tiller needs a quick whack with my foot. Even our 25D responds pretty well to shifting weight outboard to "steer" if I need to fall off just a little. Probably wouldn't work with a much heavier boat. Works like a charm on our Sea Sprite 23.

Since Pyxis has a slight weather helm, I often use the tail of the windward (slack) jibsheet (with a wrap on the cleat) to hold our course while I go below or forward. The clovehitch slides off very quickly.

We have a dock mate with a Pacific Seacraft 25 who is very dedicated to his "Tiller Tamer" and swears there is no need for anything else.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

If I'm not using he autopilot, I head the boat into the wind, then put the engine in neutral. Momentum will keep the boat head to wind long enough for me to walk to the mast and at least partially raise the main. With the main partly up, it will draw and force the head back into the wind so that I can complete the raise.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
SurryMark

Re: Setting the main singlehanded

Post by SurryMark »

versine wrote: I have a problem when I want set my main (without autopilot) : the boat dont keep his head when I pull at the halyard.
Have you any ideas for this problem ? For exemple, it is better to have the halyard on the mast or in the cockpit ? How to tie the tiller, set the jib before, etc.Jacques
I probably can't add anything useful to this, but I'm curious. Is this a cape dory you're having trouble with? The boat is at anchor or in clear water? With the jib down, or furled, or flapping free, you put it into the wind, maybe tie the helm a bit to lee, ease the sheets a bit, and can't raise the main? Is it blowing hard? Is it a real big main? Is the track lubed so it's not too hard to raise? Does it keep getting stuck in the lazy jacks?
Mark Baldwin
Surry, Maine
www.borealispress.net
Gary M
1982 CD22
Marina del Rey, CA

Poor Man's Auto Helm

Post by Gary M »

An old wood boat gave me this idea.

It works great now in calm water and with a little more weight to it I believe it will work in troubled water.

FWIW you may want to try it.

[img]http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p286 ... G_0145.jpg[/img]

Cheers,

Gary
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Poor Man's Auto Helm

Post by Neil Gordon »

Gary M wrote:An old wood boat gave me this idea.
Gary, can't you easily hold the tiller with a short length of line?
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Duncan
Montreal, QC

Re: Poor Man's Auto Helm

Post by Duncan »

Gary M wrote:An old wood boat gave me this idea.

It works great now in calm water and with a little more weight to it I believe it will work in troubled water.

FWIW you may want to try it.

[img]http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p286 ... G_0145.jpg[/img]

Cheers,

Gary
A tiller comb! (An early evolutionary ancestor to the modern cribbage board?)

I think it would have the advantage that you can just drop the tiller in where you want it, rather than tying a knot that may not end up in the right place?
Duncan
Montreal, QC

Is there an echo in here?

Post by Duncan »

I think most of this ground has been covered the last time Jacques asked this question:

Some questions about sail handling
versine wrote:Hello,

I had two little questions for you, about sail handling when you are alone.

Raising the main without autopilot : I have read the "method" of Neil : coming head into the wind, put the engine in neutral and rise the main ; but how du you trim the mainsheet before ?

Dropping a hanked jib : if the halyard run to the cockpit, is a jib downhaul truely necessary ?

Thank you by advance.

Best Regards

Jacques
The Patriot

Respect Your Elders

Post by The Patriot »

Duncan wrote:I think most of this ground has been covered the last time Jacques asked this question ...
Are you suggesting that some of us ancient doddering old fools are forgetful enough to sometimes repeat ourselves? I may have to report you to the AARP Disciplinary Board (if I can remember the phone number).
Neil Gordon

Re: Is there an echo in here?

Post by Neil Gordon »

Duncan wrote:I think most of this ground has been covered the last time Jacques asked this question:
At least I gave more or less the same answer.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Gary M
1982 CD22
Marina del Rey, CA

Tiller comb vs short length of line

Post by Gary M »

Neil Wrote:
Gary, can't you easily hold the tiller with a short length of line?

Yes I can, but IMHO this way is easier.

The piece lays on the cockpit floor when not in use.

When I want to leave the tiller, I lay the piece between the seats.

I can still steer for a time as needed, then drop the tiller between two dowels when I want to leave the tiller.

Since it is not attached to the boat in anyway, I think it needs to be heavier then it is which I may get around to doing some day!

I like it.

Gary

BTW, I never heard the term "tiller comb" but I love it and will start to use the term.
Neil Gordon

Re: Tiller comb vs short length of line

Post by Neil Gordon »

Gary M wrote:Yes I can, but IMHO this way is easier.
I agree with the ease of use and the tiller comb would meet my criteria of being easily fabricated for free (teak upgrade is optional for an additional fee). I do like the look and will add it as a no risk winter project.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Gary and all:

A fellow CDer (Ron Brassord) had a very similar set up for a Cape Dory 25 and/or a Cape Dory 22 he owned in South Florida (Lighthouse Point area). I saw it when I went to look at his CD 25 about 2 1/2 - 3 years ago. I do not now remember the details of exactly how it was designed but I thought it was an elegant and simple system. And, most important for dummies like me, almost "idiot proof" :roll:

If Ron is still watching this board perhaps he can post a photo if he has one. Ron's was also easily installed and easily removed.

I spent about 2 hours talking with Ron that day and have very fond memories of learning a lot in a short period of time from a very knowledgeable sailor who loves Cape Dory sailboats.

When (NOT if :) ) I become the caretaker of a CD 25D I hope to be able to make one similar to Gary's (or Ron's). I remain a tadpole sailor, but it seems like it would be easier to set up than installing bungee cords, clips, hooks, etc.
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
MikeD
Location: Sea Glass (1967 Pearson Ariel #414), Totoro (1977 SS23 #626)

Post by MikeD »

Here you go. I had emailed him a while back and he sent me some pics...

Image[/img]
Mike
Sea Glass (Pearson Ariel #414)
Totoro (SS23 #626)