Storage with Mast Up - How to cover around shrouds?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

Joe,

My brother, though I would never trust his musings on locking the prop or freewheeling, is correct about using heat shrink tape and not duct tape. Dr Shrink has two types I believe, this and a high UV resistant type that is much more money. I have never used it, even for this reuse shrink experiment. The tape is very critical to doing it this way because I am not relying on the weld of the shrink wrap.

We only used the blue tape as I was running out of my four inch roll of white tape. I don't know if there is a difference chemically between them but we'll know in the spring. My bro and I have generally thought the Dr. Shrink products are solid and do as advertised.

We have found this system, for us, does the best job of covering the deck securely, with no flapping or chafe (This is why I never understood water jugs hanging from grommets) for the best price and environmental stewardship. I think the very best solution on the first and last point would be a custom cover of high quality Sailrite material like Top Gun or Shelter Rite. One of our yard mates, Bob, has made one of these - an impressive display of frame and cloth for his big Columbia. The cost and work on this caused us to go shrink. I think the last time we worked it out, buying the film together in a two season supply (with using new film each winter) it cost us each around $75/season. With reuse, I bought $35 worth of tape and saved a full day's work. So now, two of us can cover Femme in a half to 3/4 day start to finish while on the hard reusing everything but the tape. The funny thing is, it makes the tear off in the spring faster as well.

Good Old Boat should publish a basic write up I did for it this coming March I believe. Hopefully, I will get up to the boat before they go to press so I can give a last minute report of whether it lasted the third winter or not.

That's our solution, as we like to say, "Shrinkage happens."
Paul
CDSOA Member
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Looking forward to article

Post by Joe Myerson »

Paul,

I'm looking forward to the March issue of GOB.

Actually, I'm already looking forward to March, even though we haven't even had a real snowfall yet. Guess I'm feeling older than I thought.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
MFC
Hull No.128

Re: Storage with Mast Stepped: It's NOT Simple

Post by MFC »

kerrydeare wrote:
Ray Garcia wrote: ... I could really use a tip covering the boat with tarp(s) ... Any ideas?
We store on the hard with the mast stepped. If I get time I will post details on the KD blog, but meanwhile here's last winter's version:

http://home.comcast.net/~kerrydeare/jpg ... r_2009.jpg
What is the black PVC making the hoops on KD? Last year I used white 1/2 pvc over a 2" PVC spine with mixed results (lots of babysitting). This year, for the hoops, I'd prefer something a bit larger but at least as flexible and also something that comes in lengths longer than 10' . . .
TIA
Matt
The Patriot

Framing Materials Defined

Post by The Patriot »

MFC wrote: ... What is the black PVC making the hoops on KD? Last year I used white 1/2 pvc over a 2" PVC spine with mixed results (lots of babysitting). This year, for the hoops, I'd prefer something a bit larger but at least as flexible and also something that comes in lengths longer than 10' ...
I incorrectly wrote PVC when describing the material. Actually I purchased standard HDPE (high density polyethylene) irrigation pipe at a local Home Depot. This material is sold in rolls of about 100 feet, and I sized it by choosing an ID that fits snugly over the stanchions. It's simple, pretty cheap, and surprisingly sturdy.

In earlier years I removed the lifelines and simply pushed the tubing over the stanchions. This works quite well. However both last winter and this winter instead of removing the lifelines, I simply lashed the tubing to the stanchions with small stuff. This works just as well and saves about a day on either end.

BTW Matt, the original article on the KD blog was a bit vague in describing this rig so I modified the page after receiving your question.

http://yachtkerrydeare.blogspot.com/201 ... s-nap.html