Cape Dory 26 sink faucett

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Droofus

Cape Dory 26 sink faucett

Post by Droofus »

While winterizing our boat we finally figured out that the sink faucett no longer works. Does any one know where to buy a replacement?
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

what type of faucet do you have?
Bill Member #250.
Droofus

Topsider faucet

Post by Droofus »

Built by Peters A Russell but they don't seem to be in business anymore. It is the manual hand pump type
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

Does it look like this?

[img]http://mysite.verizon.net/darenius/CD25D/cd25d11.jpg[/img]

I had one in the head like this and was able to replace it with a white model. I couldn't tell you where I got it and I looked on the internet and can't seem to find one there either. They may well be out of production.

Fair Winds
Bill Member #250.
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

Do a search on the board for jabsco and you'll find a thread started by Joe Myerson on this subject. You need to read his post.

Fair Winds
Bill Member #250.
Droofus

Thanks I will do that

Post by Droofus »

The fauwcett for our CD 26 mounts on the horizonal surface.
Duncan
Montreal, QC

Re: Cape Dory 26 sink faucett

Post by Duncan »

Droofus wrote:While winterizing our boat we finally figured out that the sink faucett no longer works. Does any one know where to buy a replacement?
Mine was jamming and very difficult to work until I lubricated the shaft with olive oil. Now it works easily and smoothly.

Another possibility might be that you could disassemble it and replace the pump gasket? I didn't try this, though, so I don't know if that's a potential solution for you.

Finally, I don't like the looks or operation of the pump very much. I think that the foot pump found on later CD 27s seem like an attractive upgrade.
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Jabsco pump

Post by Joe Myerson »

As Barfwinkle says, I've posted some info on this pump.

At the time, the pump in my galley sink was working, but the head sink pump, which I replaced the first year I bought the boat, was not.

To make a long story even longer: Now neither pump works.

I'll have to try Duncan's trick of olive oil before I give up and replace both pumps.

Warning: Jabsco no longer makes this pump, and I think I may have purchased the last rebuild kit available for it. I haven't installed it yet, so we might be able to work something out -- assuming I can find two better pumps.

This shouldn't be that hard, as these pumps are nearly useless.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

The hand pump in the galley of our CD32 is a new Jabsco Topsider Hand Pump (ITT-372201010). If they have been discontined as Joe mentioned, you should still be able to get it from most ship's chandleries or RV accessories stores. JMS Online Marine Supply has the best online price though I have no experience with them. Try Jamestown Distributors. Using GOOGLE, search on "Jabsco Topsider Hand Pump". You don't need the exact same pump as the original, just one that fits.

Also take a look at the Valterra Rocket galley hand pump, Whale V Water Pump MK6, Whale Flipper Galley Pump, Fynspray Galley Pump or Attwood Combo 2-way hand pump/faucet.
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

That's the one

Post by Joe Myerson »

Cathy,

That's the pump, all right.

Perhaps it's just the rebuild kits that Jabsco no longer makes. I tracked one down at a distributor in Florida (can't recall the name now), and he said I bought the last one that they had.

When I called Jabsco, which still has headquarters, but no manufacturing facility, in Massachusetts, I was told the pumps were now made somewhere overseas (Mexico, I think), and the spare parts used to come from the UK.

Anyway, thanks for posting that link.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Warren S

Cape Dory 270 Hull #5

Washington, NC

I have 2 up for grabs

Post by Warren S »

I replaced both the gally and vanity pumps (these) with some nice Finspray models. If you are interested in keeping the original designs, you are welcome to these (for the cost of shipping). Let me know and I'll confirm that I have 2 complete kits.
"Being hove to in a long gale is the most boring way of being terrified I know." -Donald Hamilton