Eva Dry Dehumidifier Experience?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Daniel Owen
Location: "VICKY LEE" CD 27, 1977, Hull #21, Port Townsend, WA

Eva Dry Dehumidifier Experience?

Post by Daniel Owen »

I am looking to place a dehumidifier in my CD27 this winter. I do not have shore power at my slip so I was considering the kitty-litter option. I came across the Eva Dry 500 product on the internet:

http://evadry.reachlocal.net/products.html

I like the idea it is reusable and does not require power. Has anyone used this product?
Cheers Dan O..........
Dan O..............
Bruce Bett
Member # 1160

Those are basically just Desiccant Packets in a fancy case

Post by Bruce Bett »

Those are basically just Desiccant Packets in a fancy case. My clever wife Karen bought a couple that just come in a paper bag that she hung in the boat in a couple of key places. This is the first year we've done that so I can't comment on the efficacy of it. I think if you g to a good hardware store and ask for a desiccant packet they will know what you want.

Bruce
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Use DampRid

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

All you need are a couple containers of DampRid which you should be able to get at your local supermarket, hardware store, Home Depot or Lowes -- no electrical power needed. Dri-It is a similar product but it's harder to find.

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
barfwinkle

DampRid

Post by barfwinkle »

I too have two containers of damprid and along with my newly installed solar vent it seems to work well, except one needs to empty the canister and refresh the granules fairly often. But it is readily available in my neck of the waters.

Fair Winds
Bill Member #250.
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

For whatever it may be worth, as Cathy and Bill, I had excellent results with DampRid.

My use was not on a sailboat but in storage facility following Hurricane Andrew (24 August 1992 @ 0422 hrs). My house was destroyed and what little I could salvage I put in a storage facility, sort of like a mini warehouse. No electricity; no A/C; etc.

I had a few electronic items, furniture, clothes, etc. They were there almost 2 years to the day with all of the heat, humidity and rain that South Florida is so infamous for.

DampRid worked great. No mildew or mold or anything. I did maintain a rigorous rule of checking each DampRid container at least every two weeks and replacing dessicant as needed. I would recommend getting large plastic flat bottomed bowls for a few of the containers so that the water absorbed does accidentally spill over into the cabin. Putting one in the sink is also safe.

My "mini warehouse" was probably about the cu. ft. of the cabin interior of a CD 27 or CD 30. I used 4-5 containers spread throughout the storage unit.
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Post by Oswego John »

"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

Well now I thought JD Deal of the Week was "John Dunn"