Southbound on ICW

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

evan
Hull #140

Southbound on ICW

Post by evan »

Hello,
We've arrived in Florida (Fernandina Beach.) It's been a fun ride down. We took Russell's advice and decided to skip Georgia, we went straight from Charleston to here. Some day in the future I would like to cruise Georgia and South Carolina south of Charleston - but in a powerboat with 2ft draft :) We would have been hurrying through, and it seems like a place that shouldn't be rushed.
I saw 3 other CD 330s on the way down. Two in Annapolis, one in Solomons. I only encountered on other CD actually on the water (a 27 I think) at Reedville.
If there are any Florida based CDers, maybe we'll see you on our way down. I think I am going to pull in somewhere mid-south Florida to get some work done before moving on to the Bahamas.

All the best,
Evan
Jeff and Sarah
Location: CD33 "Prerequisite" / CD28 Flybridge Trawler "Toboggan"; Annapolis, MD

Post by Jeff and Sarah »

Where is your destination? I'm in Jacksonville- I just made the trip down the ICW this summer. Charleston was a great stop!
evan
Hull #140

Post by evan »

Hi,
Our destination is the Bahamas and hopefully beyond, but we'll be stopping off - I'm thinking in Vero Beach perhaps - for a while so I can do various jobs that might be harder to get done once we're on the islands.
We won't make Melbourne, but would be interested to meet other CDers if you are along the way...

Evan
DaveCD28

Post by DaveCD28 »

I don't believe you are allowed to anchor overnight in Vero Beach. I think you are required to use the city's mooring field if I'm not mistaken, which I might be. I know they were arguing about that at one point or another.

Just north of Vero in Sebastian, or south of Vero in Fort Pierce there is good anchoring.

-Dave

Edit: It says here you are allowed to anchor for 12 hours in Vero Beach. Here is a link, rules are in the "Navigation and Anchorages" section.

http://www.marinalife.com/destinations/19_Vero_Beach_FL