Drive time to the Boat

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

What is your drive time from the house to the slip, mooring or boathouse?

Less than one hour
74%
1 - 3 hours
16%
3 - 5 hours
4%
Over 5 hours
6%

Total votes: 95

Russell

Post by Russell »

0 seconds! Liveaboard of course.

Before I lived aboard, when I had my old Catalina 30 which I kept in Annapolis, the drive was about an hour (I lived in northern virginia just outside of DC). Middle of the night with no traffic it could be done in 45min, but friday after work it could be a 2 hour drive or more since its the same route all the DC area people take to get to the beach for the weekend. I could have kept it on the potomac with a 15min commute, but bleh sailing, worth the extra drive for sure to sail out of Annapolis instead.

Interesting thread, I am surprised how many people are so close to their boats.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Warren S

Cape Dory 270 Hull #5

Washington, NC

2.0 hrs on the dot

Post by Warren S »

From Holly Springs NC to "Little Washington" NC - and by the time I get near, it's agony to stop for ice whilst so close...
"Being hove to in a long gale is the most boring way of being terrified I know." -Donald Hamilton
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

85 miles

Post by Joe Myerson »

From Bolton to Cataumet (on Cape Cod) is 85 miles. That's usually about 1 hour and 20 minutes -- unless I'm foolish enough to make the trip on a Friday afternoon or Saturday. You see, there's the little matter of a bridge over the Canal ...)

If I'm staying at the Cape house, the boat is about 5 minutes away.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Jeff and Sarah
Location: CD33 "Prerequisite" / CD28 Flybridge Trawler "Toboggan"; Annapolis, MD

Post by Jeff and Sarah »

Zero now since it's home, but it was 3 hours away from home when I was prepping it for the 800 mile trip to FL and moving aboard. I tried to take as much time off from work as possible living on it (on the hard) a week or a few days at a time but I did find myself doing the '3 hour drive to the boat followed by 4 hours of work followed by 3 hour drive home' several times. My race boat was 45 minutes away when my wife and I were actively racing, but I unfortunately worked 45 minutes the other direction making race night a 1.5 hour drive. Of course, my Boston Whaler is in NJ and I'm in FL now- that's more of a 2 hour flight than a 18 hour drive... Flying up there this weekend to throw on another coat of Interlux Perfection...
Maine Sail

Well....

Post by Maine Sail »

If the boat is on her mooring at the yacht club it's just down the street, often ride my bike there, then a short launch ride.

If she is on her "storm mooring", at home which is just around the point from the yacht club, I go out the front door and walk about 60 yards to the dinghy then a short row.

Winter about 3.2 miles...

When we were young we set ourselves up to be a sailing family and chose our homes location based on proximity to great sailing grounds. There is no way I could commute like some of you guys but give you the A+++ for the effort!!
Last edited by Maine Sail on Oct 31st, '10, 20:25, edited 1 time in total.
-Maine Sail
CS-36T
Broad Cove, Maine

My Marine How To Articles
Steve Darwin

Never close enough

Post by Steve Darwin »

3.5 miles and three traffic signals, then 150-200 oar strokes from the beach to the boat.
Steve Darwin
CD 25D "Arabella"
Fairhaven, Mass
M. R. Bober

Post by M. R. Bober »

In an effort to reduce my--personal--carbon footprint, I normally walk to the boat. I began this practice nearly 30 years ago. While I can't claim to never get into the car before boarding, it is a rare event. Sometimes I have to move the car out of the way.

I would estimate my "home's front door to companion way's lock" distance to be in the approximate range of 200 feet. It takes about one minute each direction. Back in Annapolis the distance was about the same, but there were 51 concrete steps. They were built in a single steep flight. Travel time was about 3 minutes down, and five for the return. Multiple transits dramatically increased those times. :wink:

In the olden days, we tired to keep drive time to under an hour.

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Lancaster (a good place from which to restore sanity), VA
CDSOA Founding Member
Troy Scott

how far?

Post by Troy Scott »

It's about two and a half hours to my yacht club where my boat will someday tie up. Right now it's fifteen minutes to the hangar where she's waiting to be together and beautiful again.
Regards,
Troy Scott
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: 85 miles

Post by Neil Gordon »

Joe Myerson wrote: You see, there's the little matter of a bridge over the Canal ...
You don't have a Cape Cod resident Canal Tunnel permit?
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Dalton

7 miles

Post by Dalton »

15 minutes.
barfwinkle

Why I asked

Post by barfwinkle »

I was/am thinking of moving the boat. As it now stands I have a 25 minute drive from the house to the boat and I have to go through a construction zone.

The new marina would be 2 1/2 hours drive time, but the water quality is better and the sailing is the same (but significantly more sailboats) and a bit of a trashy marina. My son and his family live 10 minutes from the marina.

Just thinking out loud!

Fair Winds and we'll be Havre de Grace bound come Friday!
Bill Member #250.
Warren S

Cape Dory 270 Hull #5

Washington, NC

Re: Why I asked

Post by Warren S »

barfwinkle wrote:I was/am thinking of moving the boat. As it now stands I have a 25 minute drive from the house to the boat and I have to go through a construction zone.

The new marina would be 2 1/2 hours drive time, but the water quality is better and the sailing is the same (but significantly more sailboats) and a bit of a trashy marina. My son and his family live 10 minutes from the marina.

Just thinking out loud!

Fair Winds and we'll be Havre de Grace bound come Friday!

I'm sure I would love to be able to step outside the house and onto the slip, but the 2 hr ride out to the coast is very relaxing in of itself. I just make sure I pack the truck with anything on the "to get" list from the previous visit, grab the ice on the way, and it's a good get-away. My marina, is definitely not "country club" material (maybe a tad trashy) and is therefore very affordable. Plus they let you do anything to your boat on premises. I guess the point is the 2 hrs goes quick, especially if you get a Fri afternoon start! I can get 1/3 of the way to Ocracoke before stopping for the night at Indian Isle.
"Being hove to in a long gale is the most boring way of being terrified I know." -Donald Hamilton
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Re: Why I asked

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Warren S wrote:I'm sure I would love to be able to step outside the house and onto the slip, but the 2 hr ride out to the coast is very relaxing in of itself. .......
I can tell you don't live in the northeast where all drivers, including myself, are crazy and the drive is anything but relaxing :wink: My mom lives in NC too but the drivers in the New Bern area are just as crazy as those of us up north and make us feel right at home :)

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Frank Vernet

Post by Frank Vernet »

45 minutes to Herrington Harbour South. A very pleasant drive once you get off the beltway...pastoral...some spots bordering on bucolic. Plus there's the delicious anticipation are you get nearer, come around a long bend and have the Chesapeake Bay open in front of you and the forest of masts.

It is surprising how fast one can transition from having a pegged stress meter to ahhhhhhh.............
"A sailor's joys are as simple as a child's." - Bernard Moitessier
GeorgeH
s/v Spartina
Setauket Harbor, NY

Drive Time

Post by GeorgeH »

Getting to my boat is a rather quick deal (less than 10 minutes) but once on the boat getting out of the inner harbor into Port Jefferson harbor and finally out onto the Long Island Sound can take 45 minutes or more.