Impeller Replacement +

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

gates_cliff

Impeller Replacement +

Post by gates_cliff »

Ok, I searched the site and found a number of different posts about replacing the impeller. I probably didn't read them all carefully enough but I was wondering if someone can explain how to remeove the snap ring that holds the impeller on the shaft.

Also, after viewing the wonderful thread and pictures by "Maine" (I think it is anyway) about refurbishing the heat exchanger I was thinking that might be a good idea. However, I'm wondering if that can be done with the engine winterized.

Thanks
DaveCD28

Post by DaveCD28 »

Interesting. My Volvo MD7A does not have a snap ring. The impeller is held in by the cover.

What type of engine does your's have?
Last edited by DaveCD28 on Oct 25th, '10, 12:44, edited 1 time in total.
gates_cliff

Post by gates_cliff »

WEsterbeke
Bob Ohler

Cliff...

Post by Bob Ohler »

I have had Cape Dories with Yanmars and Universals. I have never had to remove anything other than the cover plate to replace the impeller. Getting to the coverplate screws on the otherhand can be "tough."

Come to think of it, unless you are going to leave your boat in the water and sail this winter, I think I'd be inclined to leave the old impeller in for now and put a new one in the spring. In the spring, save the impeller you remove, attach it with a sheet metal screw and fender washer to the back of the engine cover and this becomes your "spare."

fair winds,

rbo
Bob Ohler
CDSOA Member #188
CD30B, Hull # 335
sv Aloha Spirit
gates_cliff

Now an Additional Quesiton

Post by gates_cliff »

While I"m thinking about it...

I need to replace the hoses on my engine, it appears they are mostly the originals. So the question is, can the hoses be replaced while the engine is winterized or does it have to be completely drained of coolant? What I was thinking of doing is taking 1 or 2 of the hoses off at a time, taking them to a dealer or parts supplier and replacing them so as not to take them all off at the same time, but not sure that would matter anyway. I'm just worried I get all the hoses off and then spend hours being sure I got the right ones back in the right place. Or maybe, I'm just confusing myself, which is not all that uncommon.
gates_cliff

Re: Cliff...

Post by gates_cliff »

Bob Ohler wrote:I have had Cape Dories with Yanmars and Universals. I have never had to remove anything other than the cover plate to replace the impeller. Getting to the coverplate screws on the otherhand can be "tough."

Come to think of it, unless you are going to leave your boat in the water and sail this winter, I think I'd be inclined to leave the old impeller in for now and put a new one in the spring. In the spring, save the impeller you remove, attach it with a sheet metal screw and fender washer to the back of the engine cover and this becomes your "spare."

fair winds,

rbo
Well, it definately does not have a washer and screw holding it in place. If I can't figure it out this coming weekend I'll try to remember to take a picture and post it.

Thanks
Warren S

Cape Dory 270 Hull #5

Washington, NC

these are worth it

Post by Warren S »

Knowing that impellers are on the list of things that will "always" be changed periodically, investing in a set of these will save lots of headaches

http://www.slgtools.com/pliers-circlip- ... 47_66.html
"Being hove to in a long gale is the most boring way of being terrified I know." -Donald Hamilton
gates_cliff

Post by gates_cliff »

Thanks Warren. Funny thing is that last night I was looking for something in my garage and right there on my tool board I have a circlip pliers. Of course, I remembered I had it only after I saw it! I think it is the right size. I'll find out this weekend.
Ben Thomas

Easy impeller change

Post by Ben Thomas »

It doesn't get much easier. Beta 14 in a CD-27

Well, if you have one of those speed seal covers, then it would be easier.
Warren S

Cape Dory 270 Hull #5

Washington, NC

Re: Easy impeller change

Post by Warren S »

Ben Thomas wrote:It doesn't get much easier. Beta 14 in a CD-27

Well, if you have one of those speed seal covers, then it would be easier.
Nice clean engine space Ben, I thought I cracked the block on my oil-flinging Westie 13 this past winter and was thinking I had an excuse to drop a Beta in there.
"Being hove to in a long gale is the most boring way of being terrified I know." -Donald Hamilton
Ben Thomas

Post by Ben Thomas »

Actually the photo is of Kurt's CD. He was kind enough to send me some shots of his install.
Ben