New Port Gaskets

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Frank Vernet

New Port Gaskets

Post by Frank Vernet »

Finally got around to replacing the gaskets on all 10 ports of Sirius - something I've been meaning to do for several years now.

I got tired of having to use a pipe wrench to close the ports in the (vain) hope that rain water would not leak in.

I extracted the old, worn, probably original gaskets out of their beds and it was actually easier than I imagined. Most came out without a fuss and mostly in one piece.

The hard part was glueing the new gaskets in as they are slightly smaller than the ports and have to be stretched a bit. It would've been a lot easier with an assistant...but I managed. Am eager to see tomorrow how they sit in their new ports. It was amusing to see how far out I had to unscrew the knobs to account for the spacing required by the new gaskets!

Cheers
"A sailor's joys are as simple as a child's." - Bernard Moitessier
Jim Evans

Port Gaskets

Post by Jim Evans »

Frank - did you get your new gaskets from Spartan, or did you make your own? If you made your own, where did you get the gasket material?
Jim Evans
Frank Vernet

Post by Frank Vernet »

Sent you a pm. Did you get it?
Zeida
Location: 1982 CD33 "Bandolera II" Hull #73Key Biscayne-Miami, Florida

Post by Zeida »

Hi Frank... I also redid mine 3 months ago -as you, all by myself- difficult but doable. I was soooooo proud of doing this which I had been dreading for a long time. I love going inside Bando now and looking at all my 10 port windows with their new, no-longer-leaking gaskets, easy to open and close. Yes, how much thicker the new ones are. It also ended up being a bit easier than I had anticipated. I had very good advice by John R. on this board, and was very well prepared. Indeed it is easier to have an extra couple of hands. But mine have been through quite some rainstorms here in So.Florida, and not one single drop coming in. Yay!
Zeida
CDSOA Member
Frank Vernet

Bomar Hatch Gaskets Next?

Post by Frank Vernet »

Zeida,

No surprise to me at all that you replaced the port gaskets as well - you are after all the Grande Dame of CD-33 TLC and picture perfect maintenance. We should all be so devoted and industrious.

I am considering using the same rubber tubing to replace the gaskets of the two Bomar hatches. I have not checked with Bomar to see if it would fit properly. Has anyone replaced those gaskets?

Frank
Zeida

Hatch Gaskets

Post by Zeida »

http://www.pompanette.com/

Frank... get the gaskets from the link above. they make them specifically for our Bomar hatches. Those rubber gaskets come with the glue already on them and they work perfect. I did it on Bandolera. Do not use the ones for the portholds...

Clean off the glue remnants from old ones well and make sure there are no residue on the metal. Then just apply the new ones. This is a very simple and easy job, unlike the other one. After you finish, get a small piece of towel fabric and spray some talcum powder on it, then rub it gently to the rubber gasket. It helps prevent sticking. When you close the hatch, do not overtighten. You are set.
Zeida
CDSOA Member
doubleb

Gasket material

Post by doubleb »

Where did you get the gaskets? Or was it bulk o ring stock.

Us 33r's would like to know.

I did my forward bomar lens this past May, I got the gasket from, W.M. for a good price, the lens was the MR-10 lexan along with GE Ultra Glaze (black)
Followed D.Casey instuctions and some on line help came out pretty good for a first timer, I have pics somewhere I will try to find them.

Preperation is everything, clean and dry, no oils.

B.B.
Zeida

Post by Zeida »

http://www.pompanette.com/pompweb.nsf/7 ... enDocument

You can order the gaskets in the above link. They are under Spare Parts for Extruded Gaskets ... # F and G... you order by the foot...
Zeida
CDSOA Member
Frank Vernet

Post by Frank Vernet »

Ordered 13' of the gasket from Pompanette today. Will try to install it this weekend.

Zeida - thanks for the vector.
Ron M.

Frank

Post by Ron M. »

I did all gaskets - ports and hatches a while back with 1/2"edpm cord I ordered from McMaster/Carr or Manhattan Supply......can't remember. I think it came in a 50' roll. Used 3M heavy duty weatherstrip adhesive. Successful all around, no leaks at all. Maintenance is a light coating of silicon grease yearly.

Doubleb......where did you get the 'UltraGlaze' ? I couldn't locate it anywhere and had to get it from Pompanette at a disgraceful markup.
________
Mercury m-series specifications
Last edited by Ron M. on Feb 11th, '11, 06:23, edited 1 time in total.
bhartley
CD25D #184 "Pyxis"

CDSOA Member #785

Ultraglaze

Post by bhartley »

I was told that Dow Corning 995 was the same as the Ultraglaze (that I thought I remembered being told was no longer made or sold under that name or the like...)

http://www.mcmaster.com/#dow-corning-99 ... ts/=9ggx5j

I replaced the lens in our forward hatch last year and have had zero problems.
Zeida

Post by Zeida »

Frank... this is what my gasket looked like.. you just peel the red off and the glue is right under. press it against the metal and voila!
z

[imgImage[/img]
Zeida
CDSOA Member
doubleb

ultra glaze

Post by doubleb »

I got it from Amazon on line. $11.00 a tube if I remember right.
It only took one tube for the forward hatch, The mid ship hatch is next. And WM had the best price on the gasket material at that time. So far all is working great,
Now I have to tackle the ports,

B.B.