Lifelines

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Jdpmus

Lifelines

Post by Jdpmus »

Restoring a 37-year old boat brings up lots of issues.

Our CD25 has its original vinyl covered lifelines. The stainless looks to be in good shape, but the vinyl has cracked and deteriorated to small sections.

Any ideas on removal and replacement of the covering?
azucha

replace only

Post by azucha »

At a cost of $200 to $500 depending on fittings, gates, etc. replacement seems the only viable option.

I'll be curious if others have a different opinion, but I cannot think of a cover replacement that would cost less. Removing cover is easy, just split with utility knife and peel back. You could wrap lifeline with rigging tape and get maybe a season out of it.
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

No vinyl needed for offshore racingq

Post by Joe Myerson »

Not that it really applies to a CD25, but contemporary offshore racing standards require that lifelines be uncoated, so you might consider removal of the covering as an upgrade.

BTW, I replaced my lifelines 2 seasons ago, and the new ones are coated.

Best of luck,

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
rorik

Post by rorik »

I replaced Mathilda's lifelines this summer. I chose uncoated so that I could keep an eye on things like rust, etc. that would be hidden under the vinyl. It also makes her shape look a little less cluttered because your eye is not distracted by the white vinyl. The stainless seems to disappear.
I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request. Means no.
sfreihofer

Life Ropes?

Post by sfreihofer »

I need to replace the lifelines, and I'm considering using rope, mostly because I think they look better and feel better than wire. I've seen it done, but never had a chance to examine how it is done. Has anyone explored this option? Is there a safety issue?

Comments? Suggestions? Opinions? Ideas?

Stan Freihofer
1981 CD25 #794
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Instant Bubble-head. Just add water.
bottomscraper

Uncoated 1x19 316 Stainless

Post by bottomscraper »

We replaced the lifelines on Mahalo about 5 years ago with
uncoated 1x19 316 stainless wire. I would never go back
to coated wire. If your wire is really 37 years old it should
be replaced. We sent our old lifelines to Rigging Only and
they made replacements. They have good prices and are
easy to deal with.

http://www.riggingonly.com/
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
azucha

rope?

Post by azucha »

"I'm considering using rope," this option intrigues me but the stretch and load factors must make it a safety issue. Any offshore work requires SS in my opinion. I want a finger to shear before the line breaks!

However, for inland waters, the look could work with grayed teak.
Jim Walsh

"rope" lifelines

Post by Jim Walsh »

It is becoming quite common for Amsteel lifelines to be used on offshore racers. The weight reduction is tempting and immediate replacement is childs play. I might consider using Amsteel for the lowers and uncoated 1X19 stainless for the uppers. I have an Amsteel topping lift and it is a huge improvement.
Russell

Re: rope?

Post by Russell »

azucha wrote:"I'm considering using rope," this option intrigues me but the stretch and load factors must make it a safety issue. Any offshore work requires SS in my opinion. I want a finger to shear before the line breaks!

However, for inland waters, the look could work with grayed teak.
Actually, its not uncommon to use line for lifelines, the line used I beleive actually has a higher rated strength then SS wire, so I wouldnt discount it on that point, people have even used it in place of SS wire for standing rigging. I just think on a CD that high tech line looks a little too modern.

As for SS wire, uncoated is the only way to go IMO, I can think of no reason you would ever want vinyl coated lifelines, not only is it dangerous, but I think the bare wire actually looks better.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Bob Luby

X-ray?

Post by Bob Luby »

AS the owner of a CD36 with coated, probably original lifelines, I wonder if it would be possible to get the lifelines x-rayed? coil the line on a piece of Film, expose, and - you could peek below the surface.

I wonder how much this would cost?
________
Magic flight
________
Jugallette
Last edited by Bob Luby on Feb 14th, '11, 10:36, edited 2 times in total.
Noel Heslop
Location: Cape Dory 25D #141, "Breezy", Lake Macquarie, East Coast of Australia

Swallows Resting/Bird Droppings

Post by Noel Heslop »

I am currently loosing the fight against a family of 5 or 6 very cute swallows. Well, they were cute until they decided that Breezy was a handy place to settle day and night.

They love sitting on my coated safety railing, and doing there business.

Will exposed SS solve this one problem? I have a few other problems with this family (and friends) which I may just start as a separate thread.
Noel Heslop CD25D #141 "Breezy"
Bill Goldsmith

Re: Uncoated 1x19 316 Stainless

Post by Bill Goldsmith »

bottomscraper wrote:We replaced the lifelines on Mahalo about 5 years ago with
uncoated 1x19 316 stainless wire. I would never go back
to coated wire. If your wire is really 37 years old it should
be replaced. We sent our old lifelines to Rigging Only and
they made replacements. They have good prices and are
easy to deal with.

http://www.riggingonly.com/

I second this comment. I did the same thing, ordered through the same supplier, and agree they are great.
Jeff and Sarah
Location: CD33 "Prerequisite" / CD28 Flybridge Trawler "Toboggan"; Annapolis, MD

Amsteel

Post by Jeff and Sarah »

I used Amsteel when I replaced my life lines. I like them though I understand why some might be cautious against them. If you go this route make sure you have flared fittings in your stanchions to prevent chaffing. The hardward for Amsteel lines isn't especially cheap, and going without it (splicing directly to the stanchions) would not be ideal because you'd never be able to tighten the lines. I put turnbuckles on both ends which increased the cost some, and you probably could get away with only having them on one end. It's incredibly easy to do, and Amsteel is rated higher than wire. If you live somewhere with a lot of sunlight, be sure to consider the effects of UV when making your choice. I'm in FL but have accepted the fact that I'll need to replace the lines every few years.
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Rigging Only

Post by Joe Myerson »

I should have mentioned earlier that I got my new lifelines from Rigging Only. They provided fast service and were very helpful.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627