New England Rope vs Yale Cordage

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

M. R. Bober

New England Rope vs Yale Cordage

Post by M. R. Bober »

Maine Sail has posted (on another site) information regarding a new product from Yale Cordage (Ph.D. a coated Spectra single braid). I met Skip Yale at the Annapolis Boat Show. We discussed this new product while I fondled it.

STARVIEW will be getting new running rigging this winter, and I have previously used Sta-Set & Sta-Set-X exclusively. Does anyone have experience with Yale's products?

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Lancaster (where little girls are made of sugar and splice), VA
CDSOA Founding Member
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

What site was it? Mainesail posts a lot on sailnet but I didn't find it there.
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
Maine Sail

Post by Maine Sail »

Skip is a member at our yacht club and a super nice guy. PH D is far too much line IMHO for a CD, no offense to Skip. I am personally not a big fan of single braid lines unless racing exotic boats with words like graphite, kevlar and resin infusion in the build description. My HArken furler came with a Yale single braid spec'd by Harken and built by Yale. Harken wound up eating nearly every furler line and had yale make them new double braided line. The new Harken furler line is basically Yale ULS YAcht Braid in balck with red tracer. It is SIGNIFICANTLY better on the hands and much less slippery on the cleat.

There are two excellent Yale products that I do recommend for cruising. Yale ULS Yacht Braid and Yale Vizzion. ULS Yacht Braid has less stretch than NER Sta-Set X yet sports a 24 core jacket and is NOT a parallel core. It is priced very competitively and has a great hand. It is a much better value than Sta-Set or Sta-Set X and has a significantly better jacket.

Yale Vizzion is a Vectran LPC / Olefin core with a polyester jacket. It has very low stretch and a decent price. Yale Crystaline is a full vectran core and only a little more expensive, about $2.00 per foot for 3/8" line. I like it better than NER VPC though VPC is an excellent value in a cruising halyard..
-Maine Sail
CS-36T
Broad Cove, Maine

My Marine How To Articles
bottomscraper

Yale ULS - How is it to splice?

Post by bottomscraper »

How is Yale ULS for splicing? I have been "eyeing" that for
replacing the adjustable part of our topping lift. It needs a small
eye splice.
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
Maine Sail

Post by Maine Sail »

It is still a braided double braid and not a parallel core. The braids are longer, less tight, to reduce stretch but it splices similarly to Sta-Set. I am NOT a good splicer but the guy I have do my splicing said it was pretty standard.
-Maine Sail
CS-36T
Broad Cove, Maine

Maine Sail

Post by Maine Sail »

I spoke with Skip Yale today and got the comparison between StaSet X and Yale ULS Yacht Braid. At 1300 pounds working load for a 7/16" line the difference in stretch is about 0.38% - 0.40%. The parallel core StaSet X has ever so slightly less elongation but is just a horrendous line in terms of feel and handling with the parallel core. It is also more money.

Yale ULS Yacht Braid

Yale Vizzion:

NER VPC:

StaSet X:
-Maine Sail
CS-36T
Broad Cove, Maine

Len

three strand

Post by Len »

For those of you still working in three strand line (is that like a rotary dial phone?) I could use some information . I am making several eye splices and end splices in polyester three strand. When the splice is done and I have just a nib of fray showing, my usual procedure is to burn the fuzz. This leaves a nice round bulb finish. However the line I am using is a really nice white but burns very dark when finished as above. Some old line I have appear to have a white something at the ends. It would really look better looking in a more nonobtrusive finish.What is it?
Len
Ignorance is the mother of adventure.

http://www.sail0rman.com
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Three Strand

Post by Oswego John »

Hi Len,

Some people like to use Whip End Dip. It can be applied with a Q-Tip, also.

http://www.gemplers.com/product/132148/Whip-End-Dip

It can be purchased much cheaper than this advertised price. About $6 and change. It comes in clear as well as in colors, too.

There are other brands similar to this that work just as well.

O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Whipping line

Post by Joe Myerson »

Len,

Sometimes I wrap the "fuzzy" ends with waxed whipping line. It's light-colored and looks quite neat.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
The Patriot

Finishing Laid Rope Splices

Post by The Patriot »

Len wrote: ... I am making several eye splices and end splices in polyester three strand ... the line I am using is a really nice white but burns very dark when finished . What is it? ...
It's just what you described: polyester. In simplest terms this material is a long-chain petrochemical derivative. When it burns it becomes what chemists call a "tar" (in layman's terms, a black gooey mess). There's no way around this as many will recall from failed experiments in organic chemistry lab.

One method with laid or 3-strand is to taper the finished splice. After making 4 tucks in each of the 3 strands, make another tuck with only 2 of the strands, and a final tuck with only 1 of the remaining strands. In doing this get all 3 strands to exit their last tuck on the same side of the rope in a tapered fashion. Not only does this look better, but it's also stronger (the stress where a strand exits is distributed along the line rather than at a single point). A splice finished in this manner is also less likely to hang in use, an important practical consideration.

Then either use a hot knife carefully to finish the splice if you can live with the black color of the melted strand, or cut close and whip as Joe suggested. Note that this whipping will be a bit ungainly and long, and will not work well unless you use a heavy enough whipping twine that corresponds to the rope size you are working on. When whipping a splice you will not be able to do a "barrel" stitch or similar as is common with other laid or double braid whippings.
Zeida
Location: 1982 CD33 "Bandolera II" Hull #73Key Biscayne-Miami, Florida

Yale Ropes

Post by Zeida »

MaineSail... thanks for sharing the good info on the new Yale products. It is now time for me to replace the good old main halyard on my CD-33.
What do you think would be a good replacement for this, the Vizzion or the Yale ULS YAcht Braid... I really need a no-stretch, or lowest stretch- but easy to handle line there. Thanx
Zeida
CDSOA Member
Joe Myerson

Yes, no "barrel" stitch

Post by Joe Myerson »

Armond,

You're right.

The whipping I usually do is not barrelled -- and it really serves to cover the ragged end fibers.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA

--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Zeida
Location: 1982 CD33 "Bandolera II" Hull #73Key Biscayne-Miami, Florida

Post by Zeida »

WHAT???? Glen Beck owns a Cape Dory? Then he must have SOME good in him after all... :) I better stop right here... :wink:
Zeida
CDSOA Member
Joe Myerson

Say What?

Post by Joe Myerson »

Zeida wrote:WHAT???? Glen Beck owns a Cape Dory? Then he must have SOME good in him after all... :) I better stop right here... :wink:
Is he going to join the CDSOA?

(Remember: No politics here!)

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA

--Capt. John Smith, 1627
moctrams
Location: 1982 Cape Dory 30C,Gabbiano,Hull # 265,Flag Harbor,Long Beach, Md.

Cajun Rope

Post by moctrams »

I buy all my cordage, halyard, dock lines from Cajun Rope Co. in New Foundland.

http://www.cajunrope.com/