Neophyte Sailing Technique Question - Wind 15+

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

I just checked the marine forecast for Boston Harbor....

...GALE WARNING IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT EDT TONIGHT THROUGH
SATURDAY MORNING...

Read a book instead.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
BillyO

Newbie, sailing

Post by BillyO »

Gusting to 38, new to sailing, hank on jib.... read a good book and stay home.
The Patriot

... To Fight Another Day ...

Post by The Patriot »

Kilgore wrote: ... Seas are predicted to be 1' or less, but now gusts as high as 38. It probably won't be quite as bad in the harbor ...
If this information was provided in a marine weather forecast, you might consider getting a second opinion. With gusts near 40, an Olympic swimming pool would be a handful. Remember that unless you can turn your boat 180 degrees on a dime and go in the opposite direction, you are not in control.

Patience is key to staying alive and returning home safely. In olden days there was little choice, and ships would sit tight until conditions allowed safe passage. Although I myself no longer read the sailing press and cannot parrot this year's crop of "experts," I suspect life at sea hasn't changed much over the decades. However these days, with reliable diesel engines, hectic work and family schedules, and other real-life situations clamoring for attention, folks are often tempted to "try it" in poor conditions. This is a bad idea that often leads to the "disses": disappointment, discomfort, and, in extreme cases, disaster.

As others have suggested, take your time, wait, ratchet up your experience in different wind ranges and sea conditions, wait, build confidence, wait, and try again. And while you're waiting, check out the classic sailing titles (e.g., Coles, Hiscock, Pardey, Henderson, etc.) while cuddling a single malt in a safe harbor. All the information needed for a lifetime of safe sailing is in the pages of books like these, and they don't add much weight to your Kindle.
pete faga

wind 15+

Post by pete faga »

Hi Kevin. Try cleating your two sheets on the headsail when raising and lowering.You just have to find the right spot so it does not interfere.That way you can eliminate the sheets running out to the figure 8's. I always reef the main when we get 15 +. Fortunely for me Grace came with furling headsail and i just adjust the blocks for the leeds. Hopefully with all that boat/ferry traffic @ Hewitts cove your pfd is on when on the foredeck. Maybe jacklines too. X- mass is coming maybe Santa will bring you a furler! Pete