Watching the weather for BHIR/Peddocks Island

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Angela and Tom
prev. Typhoon "Dog Star"
Duxbury, MA

Watching the weather for BHIR/Peddocks Island

Post by Angela and Tom »

Wondering who else is planning to go to the Harbor Islands regatta and/or Peddocks float-in. Looks like 3 CDs have entered so far--a TY Senior, a 25 and our CD28. Last couple of years we were kept south by waves and N winds on the nose. Keeping our fingers crossed for this year.

A
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Fill your trophy case!

Post by Neil Gordon »

For as long as they've been having Boston Harbor Island Regattas, the Cape Dory fleet has taken well more than its share of crystal bowls and the like.

So keep in mind, in addition to all the trophys the Regatta awards in general...

Three boats the same and they'll designate a Class, with a superb crystal bowl to the winner.

First Cape Dory to finish gets the CDSOA trophy.

Best finish by Cape Dory model (as a group) gets engraved on the CDSOA Boston Harbor Island Regatta Plaque.

This has always been a great race and I'm sorry to have to miss it this year.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
jbenagh
Salem, MA

CD25 Sprite

Post by jbenagh »

Also keeping an eye on the weather. I've got a full crew, my brother and my son. Plan to leave Salem Fri late morning and head back after the regatta.

We'll be there for the regatta and the float in. I'm wondering about bringing the dinghy -- since we'd have to leave her tied up for the day and then retrieve her. It was interesting last year (ask Neil). If there are several boats for the float in, will anyone have a dinghy?

And Neil, I doubt your excuse -- you're just afraid of a rematch :wink:

Jeff
Angela and Tom
prev. Typhoon "Dog Star"
Duxbury, MA

Re: CD25 Sprite

Post by Angela and Tom »

jbenagh wrote:I'm wondering about bringing the dinghy -- since we'd have to leave her tied up for the day and then retrieve her. Jeff

Hey Jeff, what was so "interesting" about leaving your dinghy tied up? We've been pondering what to do with ours. Is there a pier at Georges Island that we can pull up to in the 28? If so, we though one of us could pull the dinghy up on shore before the race and then get picked-up at the pier.

A
Klem

Post by Klem »

I have picked someone up off the pier at Georges but I would recommend being discrete about it. We went in just after the ferry left and the ranger let us use the ferry dock since the other side has lots of pilings. If it is something that is abused, I am sure they will shut it down but they were very nice about it when we did it.

Worst case scenario, you can always go against the face of the pier for a minute.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: CD25 Sprite

Post by Neil Gordon »

Angela and Tom wrote:
jbenagh wrote:I'm wondering about bringing the dinghy -- since we'd have to leave her tied up for the day and then retrieve her. Jeff

Hey Jeff, what was so "interesting" about leaving your dinghy tied up? We've been pondering what to do with ours. Is there a pier at Georges Island that we can pull up to in the 28? If so, we though one of us could pull the dinghy up on shore before the race and then get picked-up at the pier.

A
The dinghy was anchored, I believe, and the interesting part was a post-race crew transfer. We concluded that the easist transfer was for Jeff's crew to transfer to the dinghy and then to me. Let's just say that wind and current presented a challenge. (We were successful and nobody got hurt or wet!)

There is a pier at Georges that you can use for pick up. There's also a pier at Peddocks. I'm not sure about the most convenient place to haul a dinghy ahsore at either but you could scope that out on the way in to Boston on Friday. Worst case, leave the dinghy on a mooring or anchor it at Peddocks. Note that post-race (and as boats are finishing), the area around Georges is busy with boat traffic. Peddocks is close enough but away from the action.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Post by jbenagh »

I think I will bring the dinghy. It was like Neil said, the current and wind (I hope it was current and not poor seamanship that made me take 3 tries to pick it up). I think I will leave the dinghy off Peddick's tied to the anchor and pick her up before heading home. We should arrive off Peddick's around 4-5pm. I look forward to seeing you there.

Meghan, will you make it?
Angela and Tom
prev. Typhoon "Dog Star"
Duxbury, MA

Post by Angela and Tom »

Thanks Klem, Thanks Neil. You've given us quite a few options for dealing with the dinghy. We had some trepidation leaving it on a mooring unattended at Peddocks--if someone made off with it or the motor, that would make for a pretty unpleasant stay with 2 dogs aboard. But you and Jeff feel it's ok--and you know the neighborhood.

Jeff, Don't feel bad. The mooring for our boat is in the middle of Duxbury Bay a mile from any shore and a pretty long fetch to Plymouth. Two or three passes to catch the pick-up stick is quite normal. Especially with the dinghy is attached to it. Getting on and off the dinghy can be "interesting" and unladylike too. See you at Peddock's.

A