Removing paint from hull

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Removing paint from hull

Post by Warren Kaplan »

I got a call from my marina today that extremely high tides had caused some trouble in the mooring field. Seems some boats, on their moorings, actually were rubbing against each other.

And so, even though my boat didn't sustain any damage (so they say) there is black paint from my neighbor's boat's hull on my boat's hull. I haven't been up there yet so I haven't seen the extent of it. I suspect its something like awlgrip.

My boat's hull is the original gelcoat and has never been painted. The hull was "waxed" but that was months ago in May. The boat is on a different mooring now until these unusual tides become more regular.

Any suggestions on the best way to remove this kind of collision induced paint without damaging my boats hull? I realize I may just have to wait until the boat is hauled unless I want to get out there in the dink and try.

Anybody have any experience with this???

Thanks!
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
Jeff and Sarah
Location: CD33 "Prerequisite" / CD28 Flybridge Trawler "Toboggan"; Annapolis, MD

Post by Jeff and Sarah »

I wouldn't worry too much until you've seen it and tried a few mild methods to remove the paint, especially if you have a good coat of wax on there. If it simply doesn't rub off (hey, you never know) try a couple small areas with different paint thinners- acetone or denatured alcohol might work. I doubt there was any pigment transfer since the paint had already cured (presumably a long time ago) before it came in contact with your boat. At worst you might need to compound the area and if so, save yourself some trouble by using a WHITE compound. I love 3M, but their flesh-toned compound always leaves a white hull slightly miscolored. Good luck. It's never as bad as it seems.
Kevin Kaldenbach
Location: Cape Dory 31 “Kerry Ann“. Currently in Corpus Christi TX and Typhoon Weekender “Wimpyâ€

Post by Kevin Kaldenbach »

Try magic eraser. I think it is from Mr. Clean
Kevin
CD 31 "Kerry Ann"
kaldenbach.us
Al Levesque

Post by Al Levesque »

Our club paints the edge of the quick-tie-up floats with a very durable red paint. I often transfer some to the hull when I land. I have found that BonAmi and a little effort takes it off.
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

I've got some soft scrub on board and maybe I'll try that if the paint marks are very superficial.
Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

strange tides

Post by Markst95 »

Warren, you mentioned an extremely high tide, we had the opposite Mon Sept 6. The tide was so low I had to push out through about 20 ft of mud to get out to deep enough water to row my dinghy. It doesn't seem to match a spring tide, anyone know what was going on?
Carter Brey
City Island, New York

Re: Removing paint from hull

Post by Carter Brey »

Warren Kaplan wrote: And so, even though my boat didn't sustain any damage (so they say) there is black paint from my neighbor's boat's hull on my boat's hull. I haven't been up there yet so I haven't seen the extent of it. I suspect its something like awlgrip.
Thanks!
Warren,

I don't know what you're complaining about. I've dreamed for years of putting black Awlgrip on my hull.

Carter
tartansailor

Re: strange tides

Post by tartansailor »

Markst95 wrote:Warren, you mentioned an extremely high tide, we had the opposite Mon Sept 6. The tide was so low I had to push out through about 20 ft of mud to get out to deep enough water to row my dinghy. It doesn't seem to match a spring tide, anyone know what was going on?
The new moon on Monday September 8th just happen to coincide closely with the time of it's it's perigee.

Dick
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: strange tides

Post by Neil Gordon »

Markst95 wrote:Warren, you mentioned an extremely high tide, we had the opposite Mon Sept 6.
Makes sense to me. All that water in Warren's harbor had to come from somewhere, right?
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Thanks Dick

Post by Joe Myerson »

Dick,

On Labor Day a group of us were bidding farewell to the summer on the porch of the boathouse on Squeteague Harbor, wondering why the tides were so high and low.

Even though three of those present worked at Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, nobody had an explanation.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
henry hey
Location: Former owner: CD25 - 'Homeward Bound' hull #711. Now sailing with C. Brey aboard Sabre 28 Delphine

Ha Carter!!!

Post by henry hey »

Carter, you posted it! Bravo.

Warren, I looked for SQN as we motored out this morning but didn't see her.

I'm sure that you will be able to buff those out relatively easily -- ALTHOUGH, the yard should really be doing that work.

-h
Warren Kaplan

Post by Warren Kaplan »

We had extremes of tide too. At low tide, for any of you that know Oyster Bay, the ramp leading down to the floating dock where we pick up the launch was ON THE GROUND. The boats in the first row of slips were aground. I've been in Oyster Bay 8 years and I've never seen it even come close to that!!
Tom Keevil

Unusual Tides?

Post by Tom Keevil »

If the unusual tides on Labor Day (Labour Day up here), were a function of the moon, it seems that they should have been unusual here in British Colulmbia as well, but they weren't.

In fact, the tidal observations at Kings Pt, NY look pretty close to the predicted levels. See the link below.

http://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/data_m ... =View+Plot

Are you sure that someone's not trying to blame some human error problem on the tides?
Tom and Jean Keevil
CD33 Rover
Ashland OR and Ladysmith, BC
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Weather, Tides And The Moon

Post by Oswego John »

Yeah, there's something funny going on. I think maybe you guys are on to something.

After the game is over, I'm going to give Al Gore a buzz. See what's happening.

I first suspected something when the staid and normally infallible Farmer's Almanac goofed recently.

It called for summer 2010 here in Emerald City to occur on Aug. 14 between 10:43 AM and 2:17 PM. Don't you know that it started 12 minutes late.

Yup, something's funny going on. One old geezer I know said it was because this year is an election year.

O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
tartansailor

Re: Unusual Tides?

Post by tartansailor »

Tom Keevil wrote:If the unusual tides on Labor Day (Labour Day up here), were a function of the moon, it seems that they should have been unusual here in British Colulmbia as well, but they weren't.

In fact, the tidal observations at Kings Pt, NY look pretty close to the predicted levels. See the link below.

http://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/data_m ... =View+Plot

Are you sure that someone's not trying to blame some human error problem on the tides?
Not necessarily.
British Columbia has a significant land mass to the East.
There is a difference.

Dick