Thinking of moving up to CD27, Advice please

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

jneely

Exceedingly Well.

Post by jneely »

Exceedingly well. I hope that Mr. Alberg had at least a small inkling before his passing as to the great joy he had brought to so many people.
fg127

Trailerability

Post by fg127 »

Is the 28 trailerable? Does anyone have experience with trailering one?
Mark
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Re: Trailerability

Post by Oswego John »

fg127 wrote:Is the 28 trailerable? Does anyone have experience with trailering one?
Is the 28 trailerable?

Yes, it is trailerable but not suited for trailer sailing. If you buy it at point A and want to move it to your home port area at point B, either you sail it or trailer it home.

Not just any trailer will move it. Because of its size and weight, a heavy duty trailer with brakes and a commercial hitch should be used. Also, a large enough vehicle to control the load is necessary. The boats weight is 4 1/2 tons. The mast, which usually travels atop the boat, is 40 1/2 feet long.

Prudence dictates that a professional boat hauler with the proper equipment should be used to transport the boat.

A boat this size and weight will certainly not be launched on a boat ramp. A boat lift or a crane is required to launch and pull the boat using heavy duty web slings.

No, I have not trailered a boat such as a 28 footer, simply because of the above mentioned requirements.

All in all, a CD 28 is a wonderful boat. You must remember that certain costs of maintaining it go hand in hand with its ownership.

Good luck,
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

there's tonnage and tonnage

Post by Neil Gordon »

Hey, OJ, just to keep everyone confused...

>>The boats weight is 4 1/2 tons.<<

Sure, but of course it's documented gross tonnage is 6 and net tonnage is 5. So the 4/1/2 tons you refer to does not include the weight of the 5 tons. (Note also that the 5 tons might weight more or less than 10,000 lbs. Not sure where the waterline would be under those circumstances.)

>>The mast, which usually travels atop the boat, is 40 1/2 feet long.<<

The mast weighs a ton, too (figuratively). It's more than could be conveniently erected.

I think "trailerable" it isn't. Transportable, it is.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

25D and 28 have the same capacity?

Post by Neil Gordon »

Noted with interest is that the 25D is shown to have the same gross and net tonnage as the 28.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Re: there's tonnage and tonnage

Post by Oswego John »

Neil Gordon wrote:
Hey, OJ, just to keep everyone confused...

>>The boats weight is 4 1/2 tons.<<

Sure, but of course it's documented gross tonnage is 6 and net tonnage is 5. So the 4/1/2 tons you refer to does not include the weight of the 5 tons. (Note also that the 5 tons might weight more or less than 10,000 lbs. Not sure where the waterline would be under those circumstances.)

Noted with interest is that the 25D is shown to have the same gross and net tonnage as the 28
Yes Neal, for a while you did have me confused. In a knotty spot like this, I say to myself, "Self, what would Joe Di Maggio do in a situation like this?"

Aha, yes, of course. So I searched for several hours in my impeccable Dewey decimal system, (shoe box version) for my updated copy of Sailboats For Dummies. Ta dah, there the answer was found, winking and blinking at me like it was preprogrammed to make me smart. Sort of like predestination, really eerie.

But anyhoo, I digress. The scientific answer for a 25 foot boat and a 28 foot boat, not necessarily only CDs, weighing the same tonnage is because of the different materials used in the ballast.

The 28 footer uses expanded styrofoam peanuts and the CD 25 uses lead.

I hope that this tidbit of info helps to clarify the subject.

Feel free to avail yourself again of my council and expertise

Best regards,
O J :D :D :D
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
rorik

Re: there's tonnage and tonnage

Post by rorik »

[/quote]............The 28 footer uses expanded styrofoam peanuts and the CD 25 uses lead...........[/quote]

Well, that certainly explains a few heel angles...... :roll:
I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request. Means no.
BillyO

CD 27/28

Post by BillyO »

On a Voyage can one eat those peanuts ?
rorik

You can have.....

Post by rorik »

.. a few, but I wouldn't recommend packing them away. :D
I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request. Means no.
craig

cd 27 and 25D

Post by craig »

one of the reasons we chose the cd 27 over other models was because it can be towed without getting wide load permits. the 8'6" beam is the maximum allowable on the interstates and u.s. highways.
there is a cd 25D in the slip next to us so i often compare features between the two boats. the 25D has about 2" more headroom than the 27. it also has a nice factory bow roller and anchor locker. however, the 27 has much better berths. both the v berth and the settee berths are long and wide.
as far as towing weights, i think the tonnage figures reported in the other posts are related to the volume of the hull, from the days of measuring cargo capacity. you would be looking at the displacement, which should be somewhat close the weight of the boat.
the 25D would be the easiest to pull, with the right trailer and a full size pickup.
the 27 requires a diesel or big gas engine in a 3/4 or 1 ton truck
the 28 could be pulled with the same rig but with the necessary permits.
Sally Perreten

headroom?

Post by Sally Perreten »

We sailed a wonderful CD27 for 15 years and now love our TY weekender fully as much. I'm trying to remember, but I question headroom for someone 6'2" in the 27. Your clearance might be less than comfortable.

Our 27 pulled us through some terrible surprise storms and was perfect for 2 to cruise.

Sally
paulmccary

More praise for the CD 27

Post by paulmccary »

It's mostly been said by others, but the 27 is surely an excellent cruising boat for 2 people. Don't expect a lot more room in the cockpit, but gosh, when the wind pipes up Impromptu just puts her shoulder into the breeze and sea and powers on.

If our Yanmar was bigger than 8 HP, it'd be perfect. But it does get us around and the wimpy engine tends to make us better sailors.
Paul McCary
Impromptu
Pine Island Bay
Groton CT
North Branch
Onancock, VA

CD 27 Headroom

Post by North Branch »

I'm 6' 1" and only have full headroom on our CD 27 under the companionway hatch. I don't find this to be a problem, as I'm used to smaller boats with sitting headroom. I just have to tilt my head a little when moving around below. Plenty of room to stand up when getting dressed and using the head. I looked at a CD 25D a few years ago and found the cabin to be much smaller. I suggest you sail a CD 27 and other CD's before making a decision. Good luck!
North Branch, Onancock, VA

"Of all man-made things there is nothing so lovely as a sailboat. It is a living thing with a soul and feelings." H.A. Calahan
Duncan
Montreal, QC

Re: More praise for the CD 27

Post by Duncan »

paulmccary wrote:It's mostly been said by others, but the 27 is surely an excellent cruising boat for 2 people. Don't expect a lot more room in the cockpit, but gosh, when the wind pipes up Impromptu just puts her shoulder into the breeze and sea and powers on.

If our Yanmar was bigger than 8 HP, it'd be perfect. But it does get us around and the wimpy engine tends to make us better sailors.
Sailing my CD 27 home 900 miles to Montreal, I had to wait a few days for exhaust manifold bolts on Lake Champlain. The lady asked if me I wanted to rent a mooring "since I couldn't go anywhere while my engine wasn't working".

I said "Thanks, no", and I had a great time, for three days, sailing the 27 onto her anchors, off her anchors, into slips, and just sitting for an hour or two when the wind died. No problem, single-handed, just a lovely boat to sail and who needs an engine?

In my third year with it, I find that the 27 is a great light air boat, that is very responsive under sail. She stands up well to heavier weather, but needs to be well-reefed to stay on her feet and make her best speed.

I agree that the YSE/B/M Yanmar is wimpy, especially since I think the factory prop is over-pitched. This means you can't get to full power. I will be trying a lower-pitched three blade prop when I haul out this fall, and I am thinking/hoping this will cure it.

As for two people, I would agree completely, just enough room. Fine for more guests, occasionally, but basically a boat that fits a single-hander or a couple just like a glove.

And PERFORMS. I think this is the best thing about this boat, she just loves to sail. Like a dinghy, except that she can handle the heavier stuff just fine, too.
Duncan
Montreal, QC

Re: CD 27 Headroom

Post by Duncan »

North Branch wrote:I'm 6' 1" and only have full headroom on our CD 27 under the companionway hatch. I don't find this to be a problem, as I'm used to smaller boats with sitting headroom. I just have to tilt my head a little when moving around below. Plenty of room to stand up when getting dressed and using the head.
Same here - I'm 6' even, and I am fine standing straight up as I "enter the cabin". I have to stoop a bit going through the bulkhead forward.

It feels like standing headroom to me, since I only have to stoop a little going forward.

Not like when I was in a Bill Tripp boat with a bubble-top (Pearson Invicta 37). About 7' or 8' of headroom under the bubble, but I ended up flat on my back when I walked forward and whacked my forehead where the bubble-top ended!