Interesting CD Sighting

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

gates_cliff

Interesting CD Sighting

Post by gates_cliff »

Over the past weekend I was in the Colorado Rockies for a wedding. Had a wonderful time, the area was gorgeous, about 70 miles west of Denver, elevation over 8,000 feet. Anyway, as I was driving along a rural road and nearly had a wreck when I noticed a CD 27 on a trailer with a for sale sign on it! It looked as out of place as herd of horses corralled at a marina.
ronkberg

Cliff, give me details

Post by ronkberg »

I've got a daughter living in Utah and would love to give up the power boat and get back to sailing.

Did you happen to get any details that they could use?

Ron
Ron Kallenberg
Old Orchard Beach, Maine
Sailing in Saco Bay, Maine
ceilidh

Post by ceilidh »

gates_cliff... I live in Vail (100 mi W of Den on I70); can you be a bit more specific re: the boat's location. I know several friends who would be interested after I took a first look.... Were you near Lake Dillon; Silverthorne-Frisco area?? thanks hank
tree

?

Post by tree »

Actually, I met a guy in the little town of Gypsum Colorado that owns a CD25. I can't imagine too many CDs in the area. It might be him. Gypsum is between Vail and Glenwood Springs.
ceilidh

Post by ceilidh »

that would be Walt Olsen; a good friend and fine sailor. He keeps his CD25 on Lake Dillon in the summer; down in Colo Spgs in the snow season. did you have a chance to speak with Walt??? Ski Patroller on Vail Mtn for many many yrs... now running his own business and enjoying life. He is the one who found the CD weekender I now own; a neighbor had it sitting in his driveway going to seed...
hank
tree

Post by tree »

Yep..... actually I spent the a whole day with Walt. We went flying in his 182 (fellow 182er here) ..... and of course had to sit in the boat a while and trade sailing stories.

The ski patrol history was the link that brought us together.
gates_cliff

Location of CD

Post by gates_cliff »

Sorry, i didn't get back to this sooner. Been busy with work and reading the Earl thread, I'm on the Chesapeake and looks like I'm in Earl's "wheelhouse".

Anyway, the CD 27 I saw is near Granby, CO. I was staying at the C Lazy U dude ranch, and the boat is less than a mile from the entrance to the ranch.

I replied to a few folks who contacted me about more information. At the time I saw the boat I wasn't anticipating reporting it here and didn't think about getting more information. Should have known the interest in a CD is nearly universal.

The best I can say is that I was told the owner of the boat works at C Lazy U Ranch. I believe her is a full time employee. You can google the ranch and get a phone number and possibly someone can locate him. I would imagine that there can't be too many employees with sailboats for sale.
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

There is a Cape Dory 25D for sale (it was offered on this board several weeks ago) located in Granby, Co.

Is it possible that what you saw was a CD 25D instead of a CD 27 :?: From a distance they look similar - 3 portals port and starboard; full keel; tiller; etc.

Uh, I just realized you own a CD 27 sooooo, forget my suggestion. The good news is that this particular CD in Colorado is probably safe from the daisy chain of hurricanes, TSs, etc. working their way to the US East coast. :)
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
gates_cliff

Good Point

Post by gates_cliff »

That's a good point. I was driving by and it could certainly have been a CD 25. I hope I didn't cause too much confusioin.

I live in the Commonwealth of Virginia but function in a state of confusion.