CD 25 make over

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

CD 25 make over

Post by Jim Davis »

This summer Sandy made over a 77 CD 25. She has been looking for a boat that she and a couple girl friends can take out for weekends. We had been looking at boats in the 25 foot range and found this one at Bacon Sails in Annapolis complete with trailer. It sat in the back yard for about a year while we went to Maine for the summer. This spring she got going on it and gave it a complete refit. The hull didn't have any major dings so it only needed fairing and painting. The deck had a few soft spots, not enough to require re-coring. The bad was cut out and filled with epoxy thickened with adhesive fiber. The deck then completely faired and painted. The non skid done with Kiwi Grip. Below she painted the bulkheads with Briteside and flattening agent. She also put white Formica on the shelves. The hull was painted with Briteside done by roll and tip. The Teal hull color was made by mixing green and light blue and the boot top is sand Rustoleum. The brite work is Epifanes wood finish and varnish.

The boat was launched last Friday and her Ty DS is now in our yard under the tent that can be seen in the pictures. We are going to keep the Ty on land for a while and see how her Girlie Boat works out. The tent came from Sam's Club and measures 10x20 feet. It makes a good shop for this size project.

http://s631.photobucket.com/albums/uu34 ... eet%20Pea/

The sails were bent on today and probably tomorrow we will take it out and tune the rig.
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
Ray Garcia

Post by Ray Garcia »

Very nice! I love to see new life given to an old boat.
Very good job.

If only someone could do the same for me when I get old.
Then again I guess that's what faith is for.

Enjoy.
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Sweet Pea

Post by Oswego John »

Jim,

Simply beautiful.

O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Duncan
Montreal, QC

Re: CD 25 make over

Post by Duncan »

Jim Davis wrote:... Below she painted the bulkheads with Briteside and flattening agent.
That combination, with the gloss varnish trim, looks like a classic "Herreshoff interior", very inspirational.
The Teal hull color was made by mixing green and light blue and the boot top is sand Rustoleum.

On my monitor, the first topsides photo looks more green, while the photo of the transom looks more blue. Is one of these more accurate than the other, or is it just me? The first one looks very nice.

Beautiful work, thanks for posting these.
Kilgore
Sea Cliff, NY
Member #1209

Post by Kilgore »

Nice job.
aja

1977 ?

Post by aja »

Are you sure that the boat is a 1977 ?

To the best of my knowledge (correct me if you think I'm wrong)

A few things caught my attention, but the two things that really stand out is:

1977 had a bridge deck.(yours does not)
and
1977 used plastic ports and the earlier years used Aluminum port.

Your HIN will help you with the correct year.
s/v aja
1977 cd25 #530
Fairhaven, MA

NE Fleet Member since 2002
Big E
Salem, MA

Post by Big E »

CD 25 a "Girlie Boat?" That title is reserved for MacGregor. :wink:
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

You are right

Post by Jim Davis »

It is a '75, early Bronze Age. That's what happens when you write late at night.

As to "Girlie Boat" The term comes from my wife and her girl friends being the principle operators. In reference to McGregors since this is a family board I will refrain from using my terminology for them.
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
Roy J.
Location: The fleet: Auburn CD-25, CD-28 #255 as yet unnamed Marblehead MA

Really nice job!

Post by Roy J. »

Love the Herreshoff interior! Does the tent have sides? And did you need to extend the poles to get enough height?
Roy Jacobowitz
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

Tent

Post by Jim Davis »

Yes it has sides, back and front. We didn't put them on because we wanted the breeze to blow through. The sides will go on when the Ty DS goes in for the winter. I extended the legs three feet using 1 1/2 inch PVC and pipe nipples. I wouldn't extend the height too much more because PVC is kinda flexible.

The tent came from Sam's and cost about $250. Money well spent!
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
Bob Ohler

Nice job!

Post by Bob Ohler »

I hope to see you sailing her on the Chesapeake!'
Bob Ohler
CDSOA Member #188
CD30B, Hull # 335
sv Aloha Spirit