Here we go again

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

John Vigor

Here we go again

Post by John Vigor »

A 14-year-old Dutch girl, Laura Dekker, sets off tomorrow (Saturday) in an attempt to be the youngest to sail alone around the world.

Where will it all end?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100820/ap_ ... ung_sailor

John V.
Bob B

Post by Bob B »

Headline!
Infant son of adventurous sailors tries for new world record in sailng around the world.

:-)

Just kidding...
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Re: Here we go again

Post by Warren Kaplan »

John Vigor wrote:A 14-year-old Dutch girl, Laura Dekker, sets off tomorrow (Saturday) in an attempt to be the youngest to sail alone around the world.

Where will it all end?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100820/ap_ ... ung_sailor

John V.
I hope this never happens but if that girl dies at sea I think her parents should be charged with the equivalent of criminally negligent homicide.

Its interesting that she can be allowed to do this but I suspect that nowhere in the civilized world could this kid get a simple driver's license at her age.

I wonder if the parents have already been contacted by the reality show/documentary movie/book crowd.
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
Kevin Kaldenbach
Location: Cape Dory 31 “Kerry Ann“. Currently in Corpus Christi TX and Typhoon Weekender “Wimpyâ€

Post by Kevin Kaldenbach »

What is the record for the fattest guy in a Typhoon?
Kevin
CD 31 "Kerry Ann"
kaldenbach.us
Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Post by Markst95 »

Don't go there Kevin...
mshopenn

solo sailing

Post by mshopenn »

It was reported in Martha Stewart "Living" that a 300lb 7 year old has just circumnavigated Connecticut in a springform cakepan. When he arrived in Greenwich, the cake was ready to be served to the guests awaiting his completion of the voyage.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Markst95 wrote:
Don't go there Kevin...
This is screaming for a photo contest.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Re: Here we go again

Post by Sea Hunt »

Warren Kaplan wrote:I hope this never happens but if that girl dies at sea I think her parents should be charged with the equivalent of criminally negligent homicide.

Its interesting that she can be allowed to do this but I suspect that nowhere in the civilized world could this kid get a simple driver's license at her age.

I wonder if the parents have already been contacted by the reality show/documentary movie/book crowd.
I agree 100% with Warren's comments. I just read an article that said this child is only 14 years old :!:

The article also said her plan is to sail to the Azores and then east to Panama (and through the Panama Canal). I ain't no expert in sailing routes but I know a little about hurricane routing. We are now in the prime season for hurricanes with this year having an "enhanced" chance of more hurricanes than normal. It seems to me that this child's planned route takes her directly in the path of any hurricanes that decide to venture up/through "Hurricane Alley".
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
John Danicic

14 year old around the world.

Post by John Danicic »

So?

My camp counselor daughter had a 14 year old camper with a 8 month old baby. Which journey is harder at age 14?

With the proper parental support, either one could succeed.

Should they embark on such a mission at their age?
With the proper parental guidance, neither would try.

Sail on

John Danicic

CD36 - Mariah- #124
Lake Superior- The Apostle Islands
CDSOA #655
cguthrie

circumnavigation

Post by cguthrie »

When I was 14 I think I circumnavigated the block on a bicycle.
Maybe she should get together with the 15 year old who climbed Everest and reproduce.
Cliff Guthrie
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Re: 14 year old around the world.

Post by Warren Kaplan »

John Danicic wrote:So?

My camp counselor daughter had a 14 year old camper with a 8 month old baby. Which journey is harder at age 14?

With the proper parental support, either one could succeed.

Should they embark on such a mission at their age?
With the proper parental guidance, neither would try.

Sail on

John Danicic

CD36 - Mariah- #124
Lake Superior- The Apostle Islands
CDSOA #655
I would agree that proper parental guidance is a must. Sadly, the parents aren't aboard and communications on sailboats seem to quit regularly on very long trips....usually at just the wrong time when a big storm hits. Then this "child" with a child's brain not only doesn't have parental guidance...she has no guidance from anyone.

Aye....there's the rub. If everything goes well and as expected and planned, everyone will be celebrating. Its when everything starts to go wrong and unravel that a youngster's teenage brain usually doesn't have what it takes to make cool, calm and collected decisions.

To depend on communications at sea for parental guidance is inherently dangerous. When Abby Sunderland's boat got rolled she lost everything and the only communication was with an epirb. Nobody knew if she was alive or dead for a few days. That scares the crap outta' me and its a huge risk that I, for one, cannot understand no matter how much glory is at the end of it!
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
Al Levesque

Post by Al Levesque »

Everyone, so far, has missed the question. The answer is that it all ends when she returns to the point of departure.
John Vigor

Funny you should ask . . .

Post by John Vigor »

Oh, well done, Al. How could we all have been so blind? It takes a person of genius to solve the really simple mysteries.

Cheers,

John V.
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Post by winthrop fisher »

:) well i grew up around sailing,

she grew up on board the boat making her a excellent sailor and i bet she makes it just fine, ok... :wink: