Sailing to Block Island

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

GeorgeH
s/v Spartina
Setauket Harbor, NY

Sailing to Block Island

Post by GeorgeH »

Me and Maria are planning to sail to Block Island from Port Jefferson next week and we are a bit apprehensive, never having done more than a Connecticut overnighter. We are doing our homework, reading eldridge, studying the current tables and are looking for any suggestions or advice from someone who has sailed to Block from Long Island.
JWSutcliffe

Post by JWSutcliffe »

It all depends on how many hours you are willing to do per day, and whether you are going to sail or motor. We are based slightly east of you on the CT shore and have found that Block Island is a nice 2 day each way trip. We just came back from RI and Mystic to Branford is 10 hours under power, heading directly into the wind. If you want to do it in two equal length days, Niantic or Old Saybrook on the CT shore or Greenport on your side would be ideal.

Don't be apprehensive - this is about as ideal a cruise as you will find. It will be a little rougher in Block Island Sound than LI Sound, but not overwhelmingly so. Be cautious of the eelgrass if you are anchoring in New Harbor. Have fun!
Skip Sutcliffe
CD31 Oryx
Ray Garcia

Post by Ray Garcia »

Here was our trip taken last year during our 2 week outing. The courses are so straight because we motored most of the entire trip. Last year, early July, cold and no wind. Except the trip back from Block to Mystic, sailed the entire leg.
[img]http://www.cd27spirit.us/images/board/2 ... Cruise.jpg[/img]
Each colored trail was a days leg. On our CD27 with a single cylinder 8hp Yanmar, that made for long days. Especially on the +20 nm days. My advice is to skip Mattituck on the north shore of Long Island and take the Connecticut route. It's a long, no place to duck in, jaunt from Pt. Jeff to Mattituck. Once your there you have to take a longer trip with current to your next stop. I made it this past summer from Pt. Jeff to Branford (Brewers Yacht Yard) in about 5 hours (20nm). The Connecticut side has nicer places to stop if your not in a rush. Again it all depends on how many miles you want to cover in a day. Our trip was Milford, Westbrook, Stonington, Block Island. On the way back it was Block Island, Mystic, Mattituck, Pt. Jeff, home.

Block Island trip was very nice. Motor sailed over from Stonington in 4 hours. Pick up a town mooring if possible, they are available and cheaper than a slip, quieter too. Bring dinghy if possible, though launch service is available for a fee. Block was fun! Easy trip for us but I can see how it can become not so fun other times.

If you leave from Stonington, mind the Watch Hill Reef on the chart. Talking to the Mrs. almost ran us on the rocks when I noticed the green buoy on our port side. Quick reversal of course that day!

If you need more specific info about where we stopped, let me know, I'd be more than happy to share them. Sounds like your making a good plan to get there. That's always a good start!

/Rg
moctrams
Location: 1982 Cape Dory 30C,Gabbiano,Hull # 265,Flag Harbor,Long Beach, Md.

Our trip

Post by moctrams »

Got back from Block Island a couple of weeks ago... Sailed a Luders 33 that belonged to a friend of mine from Cape May to Block Island. (Gabbiano is “on the hardâ€
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

If you anchor on the east side of great salt pond you can row into the dinghy beach. It is just to the south of the point with a flag flying. From there it is a short walk across the road and a bit to the north to get to the ocean beach. If you go south on the road you will come to a shower house in about a half mile. It is set up for beach goers but works fine for boaters. If you walk a bit further it gets you into town. Just before the first intersection is Sharkys on the right. Great food and fun Shark Bite rum drinks that come with a plastic shark on the glass rim. We do have a few of those sharks kicking around the house and boat. Just beyond Sharkys at the intersection a right turn will take you to a very fine grocery store. They have anything you could need and the prices are not astronomical. We used to try to take all our food with us before we discovered the grocery. The one on the marina side is dismal at best. You can rent bikes at the marina or in town and they are a great way to see the island. They have scooters too.

And yes it is usually much easier to get to Block than is is to get home anywhere to the west, Steve.