Depth Sounder

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

myers13

Depth Sounder

Post by myers13 »

Our DS45 depth sounder output is erratic. The output switches between seemingly accurate readings and readings indicating shallow depths that are clearly inaccurate.

The processor was checked and appears to be ok

This means a new transducer which we would like to be of an in-hull type for the rest of this season.

Are we correct in believing an in-hull transducer would function properly in a CD25D?

If so, what models would be best for this situation and where is the best place to attach the transducer to the hull?

Thanks,

Henry Myers
Jeff and Sarah
Location: CD33 "Prerequisite" / CD28 Flybridge Trawler "Toboggan"; Annapolis, MD

Same issue resolved

Post by Jeff and Sarah »

I had the same issue with my datamarine unit. Oddly it worked perfectly when the boat was stationary and was erratic while underway. It seemed to center back at the correct depth for a moment at a time, but would then wander from one random depth to another.

Anyway, I ended up installing a new thru-hull Garmin inducer using the oil-bath method. I spoke to Garmin and they said that method of installation should work as long as the thickness of the hull was 5/8" or less though it wasn't recommended. I led the transducer to my 740 chartplotter and it works perfectly- I didn't have any issues with it during a recent 800 mile trip down the ICW. (I did have major shaft issues during that trip though and plan to post about that situation soon).

Short answer is an in-hull transducer should work on a 25, just make sure there is no air in your oil bath or silicone or epoxy bedding (whichever method you use). To prevent air being an issue in my oil well, I used a 1.5 inch spacer between the transducer head and the cap of the well. If any air ends up inside the well it will float to the top over an inch away from the head.
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Post by winthrop fisher »

Hi.

make sure when you order the in hull transducer type, that it is for the in hull type,

you have an in hull and a thru hull and a puck,

all three have a different signals and make sure they are put at the lowest point forward of the kneel of the boat.

one foot forward of the lead.

data marine is a good brand.
winthrop
myers13

Depth Sounder

Post by myers13 »

Winthrop,

Thanks!

Henry