Bosun's Seat design and suggestions

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Bob Ohler

Bosun's Seat design and suggestions

Post by Bob Ohler »

(I miss the old days on this board when all we discussed was seacock grease, fuel filter changes, impellers, sail trim on cutters, etc.)

Does anyone have a good design for a bosun's seat? I would welcome features and ideas, or just a name and source of a seat that has worked well for you. I have woodworking and sewing skills and I would not be opposed to makng my own if I can find the right plan. Also, does anyone have any suggestions for taking tools aloft? Do you tie them to the seat, tie them to a bucket, or just tie them to the seat and halyard?

On a related subject, the staysail halyard and hardware on a CD30 is not sufficient for for hoisting a man in a bosun's seat.

Fair winds,
Bob Ohler
CDSOA Member #188
CD30B, Hull # 335
sv Aloha Spirit
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Hello Bob:

The June 2010 issue of Practical Sailor has a good article on eight (8) different bosun chairs. The article also discusses the various pros and cons of each system. It also discusses the features of each and which ones are good or not so good.

PS recommended the following:

Brion Toss/Pro/Cruiser (ss hardware) (PS Best Choice)
ATN Topclimber
Spinlock
Harken (PS Budget Buy)

It is my understanding you can order individual articles from Practical Sailor. You do not have to subscribe to Practical Sailor

I am also sending you a PM on a unrelated matter.
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Big E
Salem, MA

Post by Big E »

A buddy of mine went up my mast for me and used a professional repelling harness. I don't know where he got it, but I'll bet they're easy enough to find on the internet. He says it's quite comfortable and super safe. There were loops on it in which he easily clipped a small tool bag. I don't know expensive they are, but if it's safe enough to scale a rocky cliff, it should be good enough to use as a bosun's chair. Good luck, I hope this helps.
Bob Ohler

Would love to find a good plan for one!

Post by Bob Ohler »

I would really like to look at some plans for a seat, if anyone knows of one.

Thanks!
Bob Ohler
CDSOA Member #188
CD30B, Hull # 335
sv Aloha Spirit
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

RBO the Pardey's have the plans for one in one of their books. Dont recall which book though.

Fair Winds
Bill Member #250.
Ron M.

Post by Ron M. »

You are right about the staysail fitting.....it's not meant, nor is it capable of handling that find of load. That mast stay is kinda wimpy as it is. Main or jib halyard, and support your weight as much as possible with your legs.
My chair is an older one that came with the boat....still in good shape, don't know who made it. I find it practical to attach a lanyard to tools,(when possible) when working aloft or on deck where they could drop over the side......I've lost my share for sure.
________
JAGUAR XJ
Last edited by Ron M. on Feb 11th, '11, 06:20, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Ohler

Ron...

Post by Bob Ohler »

Thanks Ron!

Yesterday, the 26 year old sheave on the block for the staysail halyard failed and the line got caught between the sheave and the inside of the block. When I was back up there on the main halyard, I saw the deformed strap-eye on the staysail block. Thank you God for saving me from my own ignorance!

On the lanyards, have you been tieing those to the bosun's seat?

Thanks.

Bob O.
Bob Ohler
CDSOA Member #188
CD30B, Hull # 335
sv Aloha Spirit
Bob Ohler

Thanks Bill.

Post by Bob Ohler »

I'll look for it.

rbo
Bob Ohler
CDSOA Member #188
CD30B, Hull # 335
sv Aloha Spirit
Steve Bryant
"Elan"
Ocean Springs, MS

Sailrite has a kit

Post by Steve Bryant »

Bob,

Sailrite has a bosun's chair kit. Can't tell what the finished product looks like, but it mentions a flexible, padded seat. Here is the link:

http://www.sailrite.com/Bosuns-Chair-Kit-Navy-Sunbrella

Good luck,
Steve Bryant
"Elan" 1981 CD25 #815
Boyd

Try a tree climbing seat

Post by Boyd »

After having a couple of different Bosan's chairs, I now use one of these. I find the tree climbing seats more comfortable for longer sessions up top.

http://www.newtribe.com/

Boyd
s/v Tern
CD30 MKII
Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
Ron M.

Post by Ron M. »

Bob,
I have a collapsable canvas bucket I put tools in for that purpose. It is secured to a D ring on the chair. I spliced a wrist lanyard with a clip that I can fasten to the tool itself or to a carabiner. I have drilled holes in tool handles to allow attachment when necessary. Neptune has accepted wrenches, a merchlyn knife,(it had a lanyard ring) and a multi-tool among other 'stuff' without regard to my objection.
________
Vaporizer
Last edited by Ron M. on Feb 11th, '11, 06:20, edited 1 time in total.
marv brinn

chair

Post by marv brinn »

I went up in the air yesterday. we lost the halyard as we raised the main of a cat 34
Cautions: the heat was unbearable I had to stop at the spreaders to rest
my hoisters wound the line the wrong way on the winch at first!
so double check your help!
the line should be checked and rechecked...there is some spring to the line so even though you weigh 200 lbs the line will see a 750 lb shock load..any knots in the line reduce it by 25%
none
barfwinkle

Capable Cruiser

Post by barfwinkle »

RBO page 226. No real detail just a pic.

later slater
Bill Member #250.
Bob Ohler

Bill...?

Post by Bob Ohler »

Page 226 of what book?

Thanks,

rbo
Bob Ohler
CDSOA Member #188
CD30B, Hull # 335
sv Aloha Spirit