CD28 Club Foot Jib Vang

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

miquelkumar

CD28 Club Foot Jib Vang

Post by miquelkumar »

Does anyone have experience installing a vang for their jib boom on a CD28? The sail shape is compromised once the pointing is beam reach or deeper as the boom raises. I'm looking for a good solution to either add a vang or re-arrange the sheet rigging to hold the boom down.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Mike
Joe Toe, CD28
San Diego, CA
Jerry Hammernik
Lake Michigan

You're on the right tack

Post by Jerry Hammernik »

Mike,

On a cruise a few years ago one of my crew rigged a line to the aft end of the jib boom that worked to pull the end of the boom down and in. We picked up a knot of speed on a very windy day. We were pointing as high as we could. I don't remember exactly how it was rigged but I do remember how well it worked.

So I know this isn't much help, but at least you know it is worth pursuing. Good Luck.
Jerry Hammernik

"Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can buy a lot of things that will make me happy."
Klem

Post by Klem »

Installing a traditional boom vang on a club usually doesn't work for geometry reasons. Since the tack end of the club is so low to the foredeck, you can't attach the vang anywhere that gives you decent lever arm. The key is to pull the clew end down either by using an adjustable traveler or a secondary sheet/preventer.

One thing to keep in mind is that the end of the club needs to go up some because your forestay is not vertical. However, it will want to lift too much in high winds and you are definitely correct that it would be beneficial to pull it down.
paul marko

vang on jib boom c/d 28

Post by paul marko »

One of the best improvements made on my c/d 28 self tending jibboom was installing a 3 ft. traveler track. This allowed sheeting the jib near the center line of the boat giving me a very effective sail shape. I was able to point higher and improved boat speed.

I sail single handed most of time so I have come like the self tending jib. I also have a down haul halyard back to the cockpit making it easy to dowse the sail without going foreword.

best of luck

Paul Marko