Question on Cape Dory 14 Flotation and Rigging

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

dadler

Question on Cape Dory 14 Flotation and Rigging

Post by dadler »

Hi - does anyone know where I can get replacement sail sets to affix the sail to the spar on a Cape Dory 14? They are just plastic rings but seem to be hard to find. And the rigging diagram makes it look like those are the only points - that the sail is not affixed to the mast below the spar - is that right?

Also, does anyone know if there are supposed to be a drain hole in each of the stern bench and the forepeak? Those seem like they would be the flotation chambers in the event of a capsize, but if there was ever any styrofoam in there i think it has long since deteriotated, and I am wondering if I should plug the drains or blow foam or something in there. Any thoughts?

Thanks very much,
Dave
dadler
bottomscraper

Post by bottomscraper »

Rigrite lists the spar parts including the sail clips which is what I think you are looking for:

http://www.rigrite.com/Spars/Spartan_Sp ... ystem.html

Sometimes contacting them can be a bit difficult.

If you decide to try expanding foam be careful, better less than more, it can expand enough to do permanent damage.

Rich who has a CD14 with no spars that needs lots of work and hasn't found the time yet....
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
Numbah134
Location: CD14 #134 (well, if the paperwork actually follows)

Post by Numbah134 »

Based on what I've been able to find out here over the few months since mine came home:

The seat holes (and the hole in the front of the centerboard case, and the hole in the bottom of the boat) should all have plugs in place when afloat. There was no foam as originally built (at least on the age I have). The middle (wooden) seat should have foam in the space under it, but mine is missing, other than traces. I've seen several pictures of boats where the center seat has been hinged and the space underneath used for stowage, and one where the seat was hinged but the whole underside was removed (to allow for sleeping in the boat, supposedly - ouch.)

The rings are available as mentioned above, but can also be replaced with rope (as seen on some parts of my sail) and the sail is not fixed to the main mast, just the boom and the gaff. The sail is also tied off to both ends of the boom and gaff, so those rings don't slide. The right size wire tie might even work, but I haven't tried it.

Another CD14 owner has cut holes for one of the watertight inspection ports that can be had at Defender or others to allow access and clean out of the under-seat area - this strikes me as a good idea (mine are disgusting), and as a better way to go about putting foam in there, too - have a big enough hole to see what you are doing, and/or be able to use blocks of rigid foam glued in place rather than spray foam (at least to be able to see what the spray foam is doing, rather than overdoing it). If you leave a hole near the port, you can still tuck a few things in the space under there, too.
Cats, Coffee, Chocolate - Vices to live by.
dadler

Thank you

Post by dadler »

Thank you both - much appreciated. best, Dave
dadler