Exhaust pipe and mixing elbow thread sealant

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

miquelkumar

Exhaust pipe and mixing elbow thread sealant

Post by miquelkumar »

I have just purchased all the required nipples and elbows for my new exhaust riser for my Universal M18 and would like to know what to use to seal the threads since the odds to get all fittings tight and aligned are slim to none. I have some Locktite 567 thread sealant which is for high temp.. Is this OK or is there a better one known.

BTW, thanks all for your info on this subject. Especially the posts with images. It took away my reluctant to take this on myself.

MK
Joe Toe - CD28
San Diego
Ray Garcia

Post by Ray Garcia »

I did the same project 2 years ago. I recommend you use a high temp silicone based sealant. I used Permatex Ultra Copper Maximum Temperature RTV Silicone Gasket Maker. My thoughts were not so much sealing the threads but being able to dis-assemble the mess when I need to in the future.

You can purchase at most automotive supply/parts stores.
Click on link below for product details...
http://www.permatex.com/products/Automo ... _Maker.htm
miquelkumar

Post by miquelkumar »

Thanks Ray for the info. I'll be picking some up this week for next weekends install.
Maine Sail

Post by Maine Sail »

Been using Hercules Real-Tuff thread sealant for many years. Available at Home Depot..

"Multi-purpose heavy duty, white, PTFE paste thread sealant for use on Aluminum, Black Iron, Brass, Copper, Glass, Monel, Natural Rubber, Plastic (P.E.,Reinforced), PVC, ABS, CPVC, Stainless Steel, Synthetic Rubber (Butyl, Neoprene).Contains a unique system of fine grain PTFE particles specifically designed to fill cracks and tiny thread imperfections.Leak free joints can be tested and put into service at once.Real-Tuffholds tight against expansion, contraction and vibration, is non-separating, will not run or drip from joints, contains no lead.Non-hardening lubricating formula permits low torque make-up
and easy disassembly without galling or stripping threads.Real-Tuffwithstands temperatures from -200°F to +550°F, and provides leak-proof hydraulic resistance to 12,000 psi.Withstands gas pressure up to 2,600 psi. Real-Tuffis non-flammable and contains no heavy metals or volatile solvents and is applied easily with a natural bristle brush, even at temperatures as low as -25°F."
Last edited by Maine Sail on Jul 27th, '10, 07:08, edited 1 time in total.
-Maine Sail
CS-36T
Broad Cove, Maine

My Marine How To Articles
tartansailor

High Temps

Post by tartansailor »

Exhaust manifolds can get pretty hot and while certain fluorocarbons can take 550 deg. f, most fail for oxidative decomposition over that.
Now Molybdenum disulfide maintains its lubricity and antiseizing properties at temperatures and pressures beyond the yield point of any metal. Check out Mil Spec M-7866.
I do not promote anything in public. B-mail me if interested in the trade name & mfgr.

Dick
miquelkumar

Post by miquelkumar »

Thanks everyone for your replies and thoughts. I will post images when complete.