Good read -- Man overboard at night!

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Ray Garcia

Good read -- Man overboard at night!

Post by Ray Garcia »

For those of us that sail at night. Yes, it can happen, a crew member or yourself can fall overboard; in any sea condition. The story got my adrenalin running, if you have ever sailed at night you know how dark and lonely it can get. Makes you think how you would prepare yourself if the unthinkable ever happened.

The 1st mate asked me why I gave her a storm safety whistle to put in her pocket. We were in a thick fog making our way home. I responded, "leave it there, just in case, you'll know what to do with it if you need it".

From one of our sailing brethren across the pond...
http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index. ... pic=111014
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Whew!

Post by Joe Myerson »

n/m
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
moctrams
Location: 1982 Cape Dory 30C,Gabbiano,Hull # 265,Flag Harbor,Long Beach, Md.

Night sailing

Post by moctrams »

Just got back from Martha's Vineyard and most of the sailing was at night. I always was harnessed in and connect to the Jack Lines (not the lifelines). Motored through two horrific storms on Delaware Bay and I felt safer being harnessed in the event of a rollover. The entrance to the C&D Canal at night is very confusing and with the big ship traffic, a little scary. I use paper charts with a chart plotter as backup (not the other way). You can't beat paper charts to mark things and come back again and again. Chart plotters are nice, but can't compare to paper charts.
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Scary story with a great ending.

I believe paper charts are a must for any area you plan to be in, or could wind up in. I never could figure out how to plan a trip on the chart plotter, plus it is just more fun to look at a chart.

In a man overboard situation the chart plotter beats paper hands down in many ways. I don't know if this belongs on a separate thread but if someone goes over the side That MOB button is our first response. I would hate to have to go down below to plot out where I thought a person had left the boat. A specific coordinate that is accurate would greatly enhance the chances of anyone in the water. This is one area that GPS has added greatly to the safety of sailors, Steve.