Dynaplate/Bonding/Witchcraft

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

gvanbell

Dynaplate/Bonding/Witchcraft

Post by gvanbell »

Hello everyone. I have trolled around the board and read most of what has been posted about bonding, isolating, lightning, stray current, corrosion, ground plates, and the everpresent whatnot.

I am in the process of completely rewiring our CD27 (no small job given that the old wiring is glued to the hull, etc.).

Among other things, I am considering taking the grounding plate off the hull.

My previous boat - built in the 90s - was grounded through the engine.

There is no reason not to do this with my new electrical system, right? That grounding plate is a drag and from what I can figure, is questionably effective anyway.

Personal opinions about bonding underwater metals aside, what if anything, is the downside to getting rid of the grounding plate?

-g
Maine Sail

Post by Maine Sail »

Depends how it is being used now? Is it your lightning path to ground?
-Maine Sail
CS-36T
Broad Cove, Maine

My Marine How To Articles
gvanbell

Lightning

Post by gvanbell »

Yes, it is technically the lightning ground. But in the Pacific Northwest lightning is so rare it might as well not exist. Most boats here, as far as I have learned so far, are grounded through the engine for both the DC any lightning protection.

I should probably also add that I have replaced all of the underwater metal (except the prop shaft, of course) with Marelon. So stray current between through hulls is a non-issue.

-g
Roy J.
Location: The fleet: Auburn CD-25, CD-28 #255 as yet unnamed Marblehead MA

Removing it would be OK if you knew

Post by Roy J. »

If you knew for sure that you were never going to encounter lightning, then go ahead. On the other hand, if you grounded via the engine, and the prop shaft is the only metal in the water, then if you DID get hit, then the possibility that your engine/prop/shaft would blow a large hole below the waterline is increased significantly. If my CD-25 had a dynaplate and all was grounded through it, I would not remove it, even if I was rewiring. Because we see lightning often in summer thunderstorms here in the northeast, the lack of lightning protection has always been one of my concerns about the 25.
Roy Jacobowitz
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I always consider my boats much the same way I do my property. I am only the steward for a short time and I owe it to the next steward and the boat or land, to leave it in better shape than when I took on my brief control.

The fact that the boat is in a low risk lightning area now, does not mean it will always be the case. If it is a good idea to have the grounding plate in many areas, why eliminate it?

The mention was made that it increases drag. We do not really own our boats for the tremendous performance of the hull design in regards to speed. While I would do as much as I could to increase performance I don't think that the grounding plate, in an area of the hull that is one of the least critical to water flow, would make any noticeable difference. A regular scrubbing and a good fairing job would have a far greater impact on boat speed.

In the words of Clint Eastwood, while looking over the barrel of his 44 Mag, "Are you feeling lucky?", Steve.