teak guard

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

JBA

teak guard

Post by JBA »

Hello all,

I just finished applying Teak Guard coats 3&4 and am very pleased with the results. I know that Teak Guard can be removed with soap and water (what kind of soap?) but I have tape seepage and need some advice as to how to remove it from fiberglass right under the toe rails.. Anyone have experience with this issue?

Thanks

JBA
rtbates

Post by rtbates »

only when wet and then plain ole water will remove it. Dry is a whole different ball game. Try paint thinner.

I did not tape anything when I applied TG. Just keep a wet rag handy and wipe off the excess.
Randy 25D Seraph #161
henry hey
Location: Former owner: CD25 - 'Homeward Bound' hull #711. Now sailing with C. Brey aboard Sabre 28 Delphine

Teak Guard

Post by henry hey »

Hi,

We applied Teak Guard to the brightwork aboard Delphine (Sabre 28) this year. It was very easy to work with and therefore we didn't use tape. When wet, it does clean up with only water.

What you might try with the dry teak guard overspill is simply scrubbing vigorously with a hard brush. It is a beautiful and simple finish, yet it does not stand up to abrasion. It may give way with scrubbing.

- Henry
aja

Carefully...

Post by aja »

The only thing that removes dried on TeakGuard easily is laquer thinner.

Use it sparingly, don't let it puddle or stand on your gelcoat or you will damage your finish.

But if you use only a little on a cotton rag and wipe it right off with a dry cloth, you should be fine. Nothing else works on TeakGuard as far as I know.

Diana
s/v aja
1977 cd25 #530
Fairhaven, MA

NE Fleet Member since 2002