iPad/iPhone Navigation Software

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Invictus
CDSOA #1251

iPad/iPhone Navigation Software

Post by Invictus »

My wife got me an iPad for my 40th Birthday (thank you! I love it!) and I'm probably going to try out the iNavX software...does anyone have experience with this application?

http://www.inavx.com

Thanks,
Jeff

(typing this on my iPad in the middle of Neb, on our way home from vacation)
“…It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.â€
Bob L

Post by Bob L »

Jeff,

I took a friend of mine for a sail a few weeks ago. He's a pilot and brought his iPhone along with chartplotting software. I was quite impressed. I don't know the app he's using, but I'll query him with an email to and will send you the name of the app he's using.

Bob
Troy Scott

navigating by Mac

Post by Troy Scott »

I'll definitely be following this thread. I'm into the whole iPhone, iPad, MacBook Pro thing. I really like it when all the gadgets and the apps talk to each other and the sum is greater than the parts.
Regards,
Troy Scott
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Hi Jeff,

I don't have or use iNavX, but there was a review in the February 2010 issue SAILING Magazine, p. 34.

It is a full-featured product that uses NOAA RNC raster charts. You can also purchase, at additional cost, Navionics charts that range in price from $15 to $169. Work with the NOAA charts and see how you like them before purchasing any of the Navionics charts.

You can download charts directly to your phone but you'll have better success if you can get a faster WiFi connection. iNavX doesn't need a cellular signal to work, so you don't have to worry about that. It can also import and display GRIB files (weather).

On the down side, the charts are locked to one iPhone. So if something happens to your phone (Bruce fell into the drink with his iPhone in his pocket during our 2009 cruise -- that was the end of the phone), not only will you need a new phone, you'll have to purchase those charts all over again.

You'll also need an X-Traverse data account to download Navionics charts and charts outside of the U.S. That may not be an issue for you, but if it is, an X-Traverse account is $10 per year.

Hope this helps,
Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay

In addition to the initial cost ($49.99)
seajunkie

Navionics

Post by seajunkie »

charts are locked to one iPhone
I'm new to the world of Chart Plotters. I downloaded the Navionic software for the iPhone last year to experiment with. I day sail so I haven't had the opportunity to use it much. This year I got the Ipad. I was able to use the Navionics software that I maintain a copy of in iTunes without paying for another copy. Did your husband download it only to his phone or does he maintain an iTunes account? iTunes is in effect the backup.

I still don't understand the differences between all of these charts and software packages.
Seajunkie
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Re: Navionics

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

seajunkie wrote:
charts are locked to one iPhone
I'm new to the world of Chart Plotters. I downloaded the Navionic software for the iPhone last year to experiment with. I day sail so I haven't had the opportunity to use it much. This year I got the Ipad. I was able to use the Navionics software that I maintain a copy of in iTunes without paying for another copy. Did your husband download it only to his phone or does he maintain an iTunes account? iTunes is in effect the backup.

I still don't understand the differences between all of these charts and software packages.
Hi RIch,

Navionics charts work with many different chart plotters and navigation software. We're not just talking about the Navionics charts, we're talking about how they works with the iNavX app on the iPhone. The Apple iPad is not an iPhone but iNavX is supposed to work on the iPad as well. Anyway, I was referencing what was said in the SAILING Magazine article, maybe the author was incorrect. If he was, then there really isn't a downside. Are you using iNavX?

By the way, for all you Macintosh users out there, if you're looking for charting sofware to use on your Mac computer, GPSNavX and MacENC are two products for Macs by the same folks that provide iNavX for iPhone.

http://www.gpsnavx.com/

http://www.gpsnavx.com/html/compare.html

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Last edited by Cathy Monaghan on Jul 12th, '10, 20:49, edited 1 time in total.
Invictus
CDSOA #1251

Thanks

Post by Invictus »

Thanks for the info. I'm back from vacation and intend to purchase the App later this week before launching INVICTUS. I'm not entirely familiar with Newport Harbor, so the transit to her slip should provide a good test drive of the software package. I'll report my findings...

Jeff
“…It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.â€
seajunkie

Post by seajunkie »

I have a Navionics iPhone/iPad App. It's not just the charts. The App allows for Up to 99 Waypoints, it tracks through the GPS on the iPhone and the iPad. each has a GPS. It was only $14. I guess the iNavX App must do much more then that.
Seajunkie
mike ritenour

Updates on the Ipad as a chartplotter?

Post by mike ritenour »

With the new release of the IPAD 2, we are interested in it ability to function as a chartplotter.

Any current information and suggestions on software would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Rit
Zeida
Location: 1982 CD33 "Bandolera II" Hull #73Key Biscayne-Miami, Florida

Post by Zeida »

The iNavx works just as a garmin gps only u can not plot out routes. I also have it on my iPad And on the iPhone. Works on both.
Zeida
CDSOA Member
David van den Burgh

Re: iPad/iPhone Navigation Software

Post by David van den Burgh »

Invictus wrote:My wife got me an iPad for my 40th Birthday (thank you! I love it!) and I'm probably going to try out the iNavX software...does anyone have experience with this application?

Thanks,
Jeff

We use NavX on our Macs and it works great. Can't tell you about iNavx since I don't have an iPad, but I'll pass this on to my dad - he uses an iPad. Great software.
JimMc
Sarasota, FL

iPad for Navigation

Post by JimMc »

Unless or until the iPad gets a daylight readable screen (like the retina display on the iPhone4) it will not be all that useful as a chartplotter. I was really disappointed to find the iPad2 has the same screen as the original iPad. Don't get me wrong- I love my iPad... but I need to be able to see the screen in sunlight.

Jim.
----------------
JimMc
Sarasota, FL

Blog

Post by JimMc »

By the way- this is THE blog to read for all things related to marine electronics (my opinion)...

http://www.panbo.com/archives/2010/11/b ... .html#more

Jim.
-------------
mike ritenour

Ipad screen

Post by mike ritenour »

Thanks Jim, having 0 experience with the Ipad in daylight I had no idea you couldn't read it in sunlight.
thanks,
rit
David VanDenburgh
CD 36, #7
Lake Michigan

Re: iPad/iPhone Navigation Software

Post by David VanDenburgh »

David van den Burgh wrote:
Invictus wrote:My wife got me an iPad for my 40th Birthday (thank you! I love it!) and I'm probably going to try out the iNavX software...does anyone have experience with this application?

Thanks,
Jeff

We use NavX on our Macs and it works great. Can't tell you about iNavx since I don't have an iPad, but I'll pass this on to my dad - he uses an iPad. Great software.
I use iNavX on my iPad and I like it a lot. A chartplotter that will do the same thing would cost a lot more than the $800 I paid for the iPad. The gps in it works well, the memory is sufficient to store all the charts, the processor is fast - the only drawback is, of course, that the screen is hard to read in the sunlight, but that's a drawback I can live with. The 10 hour battery life gives me lots of room and time to move around. And - of course - I can read books, watch movies, and listen to music on it. Try that on a dedicated chartplotter.
David VanDenburgh (the elder)