Battery charger

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Kevin Kaldenbach
Location: Cape Dory 31 “Kerry Ann“. Currently in Corpus Christi TX and Typhoon Weekender “Wimpyâ€

Battery charger

Post by Kevin Kaldenbach »

It is time for me to consider what I want for a battery charger on my boat. I have a starting battery and house bank. I plan to beef up the house bank for cruising so I need advice on picking the right charger. How about these chargers inverters I see advertised, any opinions on them? Eventually I want to install solar panels if that play into the equation.
Kevin
CD 31 "Kerry Ann"
kaldenbach.us
Leo MacDonald
Location: 'EVENING LIGHT' CD33 No. 38, Pine Isl. Bay, Groton, CT

Buy Charles Marine (Do NOT go near Xantrex stuff.)

Post by Leo MacDonald »

Hi Kevin,
I had a world of problems with a "True Charger 20" (now retailed by Xantrex.) I ended up purchasing a Charles Marine model (P/N) 93-12152SP-A, a 15A output at quite a bit less than the True Charger line.
As a series of additional positive points;
- it's made in the USA,
- warranty for two years (2X the True Chargers),
- they will send you a schematic if you need it AND
- they will service them for 20+ years!!
Look at the CD Board posting at: http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic ... ry+charger.
Fair Winds,
Leo MacDonald
Founding Fleet Capt., NE Fleet
Past Commodore, Member No. 223
A 'Cape Dory Board' supporting member ~1999 to ~2015 :-)
Bob L

Post by Bob L »

Kevin,

I've used a TrueCharge 20 for 11 years. But unlike Leo, I've never had a problem with it. My unit charges flooded and gel only. Newer units charges AGMs as well.

Bob
Bob Brown

Post by Bob Brown »

Kevin,

When I was looking for a battery charger earlier this year someone on the site recommend www.manventureoutpost.com/ as a good source for a Charles Marine charger. I already had an inverter installed so I didn't want to spend the $$$ for a charger/inverter.

Bob
Andy Denmark

Concur

Post by Andy Denmark »

I'll cast my vote for the Charles Industries charger, too. Solid equipment, American made, and their charging algorithm is very easy on batteries (read longer life).

I would also go with separate charger and inverter instead of a combined unit.

My $.02 worth.
________
Honda insight specifications
Last edited by Andy Denmark on Feb 13th, '11, 03:48, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Cawthorne
Hull # 79

True Charge/ Xantrex

Post by Matt Cawthorne »

I am very pleased with my true-charge 2 unit. Very good features and I have not had any problems.
easug1

Charles Industries Charger

Post by easug1 »

I've also had good luck with my Charles Industries charger, a 30A, 2000-series unit. Prices are all over the map for that unit; do some comparison shopping. The best price I found was Hodges Marine, but you might be able to find it for even less with more Googling.

Allen
Matt Cawthorne
Hull # 79

True Charge 2 unit now defunct.

Post by Matt Cawthorne »

After my trip to Nova Scotia and weathering Hurricane Irene, my Xantrex Truecharge 2 battery charger died. The service center said that they are not really repairable and that they would happily sell me a new one at a reduced price, but that I could probably still buy it cheaper at a discount marine store. Well with that being said, I opened it up. There is a small circuit board that had gotten wet and a few spots on the circuit board were corroded away. The unit charges, but I can not control what it is doing and that scares me a little. Their service centers are not allowed to sell me a replacement board.

I for one would not recommend buying one at this point simply because their service policy stinks.

Matt
Maine Sail

Re: True Charge 2 unit now defunct.

Post by Maine Sail »

Matt Cawthorne wrote:After my trip to Nova Scotia and weathering Hurricane Irene, my Xantrex Truecharge 2 battery charger died. The service center said that they are not really repairable and that they would happily sell me a new one at a reduced price, but that I could probably still buy it cheaper at a discount marine store. Well with that being said, I opened it up. There is a small circuit board that had gotten wet and a few spots on the circuit board were corroded away. The unit charges, but I can not control what it is doing and that scares me a little. Their service centers are not allowed to sell me a replacement board.

I for one would not recommend buying one at this point simply because their service policy stinks.

Matt
Welcome to the WWX wonderful world of Xantrex...Doh'!!
-Maine Sail
CS-36T
Broad Cove, Maine

My Marine How To Articles