installing ST 2000 tiller pilot (CD25)

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

KDreese
Hingham, MA

Wire Size for CD25 install?

Post by KDreese »

So I still havent installed my tiller pilot but was wondering on what size wire people have used for the install? I need to run the wire from the unit to the panel in the cabin. What gauge/size wire have people been using and how long was the run for most... I used some string to replicate the wire run and ended up measuring 18 feet of wire... seems like a lot so I may re-measure, but based on that the manual seems to recommend 14AWG 2.5mm2 for 13ft so I would need more than that for 18 feet. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Kevin
"Life begins at 2 knots."
Daniel Owen
Location: "VICKY LEE" CD 27, 1977, Hull #21, Port Townsend, WA

Wire Gauge

Post by Daniel Owen »

G'day,

The Raymarine website indicates your ST2000 draws 1.5 amps in full auto mode. If you take this figure and plug it into the following calculator: http://beta.circuitwizard.bluesea.com/ using 12 volts, 36 feet of wire (18 x2) using a 3% voltage drop and 105 degree insulation you need at least 18 awg. Blue Sea recommends going one size larger to 16 awg. I personally run nothing smaller than 14 awg on my boat.

Cheers Dan O.............
Dan O..............
marv brinn

takes up space

Post by marv brinn »

it there a way to flip the tiller up and back and attach the self steer device?
how about a short stub tiller that could replace the original one for the autopilot only?? the standard set up takes a lot of space.
none
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

16 AWG

Post by Joe Myerson »

Hi Kevin,

My electrical-engineer friend who helped me install my ST2000 used 16 AWG wire, but I'd agree with Dan that going up another size could only help.

BTW, you'll love your ST2000, and the more you use it, the more juice it will consume (doh!). Definitely use heavier gauge wire than the minimum.

Best,

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
marv brinn

wire

Post by marv brinn »

use as heavy as gage as you can and use stranded it is easier to work with and will reduce your voltage drop/loss.
none
KDreese
Hingham, MA

What about this cable?

Post by KDreese »

So I still havent installed the ST pilot yet... anyway, I was looking at some cable and thought this could be a good idea... I could have both the positive and the negative combined into one cable which would make it easier to feed to the panel (only do it once), etc. Any downsides to using this?

Duplex Flat Safety Cable
Gauge: 14 AWG Duplex, Spool: 100'
UL 1426 Tinned Boat Cable

Item #: 200302
Manufacturer: ANCOR MARINE INC.

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?pat ... &id=105874
"Life begins at 2 knots."
Steve Bryant
"Elan"
Ocean Springs, MS

That cable would be perfect

Post by Steve Bryant »

KD,

That cable will work better than anything else you could use, especially since you are running it from the cockpit lockers back to the panel. The outer jacket on the cable will keep the wire from getting chafed or nicked when you are fishing it through all the places you have to go to get to the panel.

Be sure to use high quality butt connectors with an adhesive heat shrink when you connect it to the AP. You would also want to anchor the wire with a cable clamp close to the connection in order to provide some strain relief in case something in the locker gets caught up in the wiring.
Steve Bryant
"Elan" 1981 CD25 #815
seajunkie

Post by seajunkie »

Will you install a DC outlet in the cockpit to plug into?
Seajunkie
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

ST 2000 cockpit outlet

Post by Neil Gordon »

seajunkie wrote:Will you install a DC outlet in the cockpit to plug into?
The ST 2000 comes with an outlet. I installed mine to the rear of the cockpit at the base of the port locker. (I have a port side installation.)

The unit plugs into the front easy enough. The wires go to the back... power, GPS and instrumentation... I found working with the little set screws was a pain. (I'm only wired for power.)
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698