Typhoon Weekender

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Tab

Typhoon Weekender

Post by Tab »

The typhoon weekender I purchased has no blocks for either the jib or genoa. It does however have the tracks. Two sets on each rail and one set on each side of the cabin top. According to the shaefer website the blocks are no longer available. Can anyone suggest any replacements manufacturers and part numbers.

Second question, there is a video on utube that seems to show a typhoon with the jib sheets running through blocks on top of the cabin. Is that the way jibs are set up for the weekender? Seem awkward.

Last question (I promise). With the genoa, I would think the blocks are located on the track behind the winch and the sheet brought forward to the winch but I can't see to find any schematics showing it .

Thank you very much.
Gary M
1982 CD22
Marina del Rey, CA

Genoa Blocks

Post by Gary M »

You'll get a response soon from a Ty owner but my recollection is that the jib used pad eyes not blocks and the genoa used track blocks to fit 3/4 inch track. Is that what your seeing?

I found this on Schaeffer Site
http://schaeferhardware.com//SearchResu ... goryID=339

Scroll down to the 3/4 inch block, I sure hope they're still available.
Jim Buck

genny blocks

Post by Jim Buck »

I think the Schaefer 03-72's are what you want for the genoa track and yes the sliding pad eye style blocks on tracks mounted on the cabin top were at least standard in 1974. Track was black aluminum and I believe 3/4". Hope this helps.
Jim Buck
Member #1004
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Hello Tab:

I'll take a stab at answering but will definitely defer to guys like "OJ" and others who are the deans of the Typhoon class. I remain a rookie. :(

Before I bought S/V Tadpole I looked at a lot of Cape Dory Typhoon Weekenders mfg. over the years of production. It is my recollection that most of them, if maintained as original, had the following set up, as does S/V Tadpole:

1. As you described, there is a track on each side of the coach roof for the standard working jib. The Tys came with what is basically a heavy duty fairlead (or padeye) and slide that could be adjusted along the track. I assume some folks may have removed these fairleads and installed blocks to make it a little easier to adjust the jib sheets. The sheets would then go back to the winches and be secured by the port and starboard horn cleats affixed along the coamings. Some folks, me included, have added small cam cleats to the coach roof to avoid having to use the winches, horn cleats, etc. The cam cleats make it much easier to tack and make minor adjustments to the jib sheets.

I have a friend who purchased new working jib tracks for the coach roof and then installed blocks on these tracks to make it easier to adjust the jib sheets. He also installed the cam cleats.

If you are unable to find fairleads (padeyes), etc. to fit, you may have to buy new tracks, etc. I believe my friend bought from Schaefer and was/is happy with the products. You may have to drill new holes for the screws for the new tracks.

2. The tracks on the toe rails aft of the winches are for the Genoa sheets. It is my understanding the Genoa sheet runs from the clew of the Genoa OUTSIDE of all standing rigging, through a block on the Genoa track, then forward and around the winches and again secured by the horn cleats. From my limited experience from sailing on Key Biscayne, the Genoa is really only needed for very, very light air days or when sailing downwind or well off the wind. I have been very happy with just using the working jib. S/V Tadpole seems to be nicely balanced with a full main and the working jib. It is also much easier to tack single handed with the working jib. The Genoa would almost always get caught on the standing rigging, mast, etc.

I hope this helps a little, however, I would watch for posts by "OJ" and others who know a whole lot more about this stuff than I do.
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
North Branch
Onancock, VA

Schaefer 03-72 Stand-Up Blocks

Post by North Branch »

pyacht.com has the Schaefer SCH0372 Stand-Up Lead Blocks for 3/4" T-Track. I just ordered two to replace the originals on my CD 27:

http://www.pyacht.com/cgi-bin/pagegen.pl?pr+SCH0372

This is the best price I could find. They also have the plastic t-track end stops, SCH7434, for $4.68 each.

Good luck with your Typhoon Weekender!
North Branch, Onancock, VA

"Of all man-made things there is nothing so lovely as a sailboat. It is a living thing with a soul and feelings." H.A. Calahan
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Ty Weekender NO GEMS OF WISDOM

Post by Oswego John »

Sea Hunt,

You old sea dog, you. You're a lot smarter than you would have us think. :wink:

BTW: now that you're retired, I wonder if you would be interested in working for me. I could use a new PRO-S. (Public Relations Officer-South.) You could build me up and make me look a lot better than I am.

Tadpole is rigged basically the same as my Grace. Just as it came from the factory. Even to the additional cam cleats. Probably the only difference being is that none of my Tys had winches. I saw little to no need to install them.

All my grand kids learned to sail on my Ty. Call it old fashioned or whatever, but they learned to sail by the seat of their jeans. They could feel the reactions of the boat in response to their actions. The rudder was never fastened or locked on a beat.

One child would steer and control the main sheet. The other would work the working jib. To relieve hand cramps, the working jib sheet would be half wound on a horn cleat just enough to maintain a feel for the tug. The main sheet was secured in a cam cleat, always ready to be undone in a puff. Little 90 pound girls could control the Ty by hand without a lot of excessive bolt-ons.

We do have a block on a track on either side deck, none on the roof. This is mainly to be used to control the angle of the jib sheet.

We never cared much for racing. Somewhere along the way I think we had a drifter, (very low mileage on it) and a genoa. I can't recall when we ever used them. No call to, no desire to. Besides, on an average day on the water, we most always approached hull speed so there was little to gain.

If there is one word to describe what I tried to instill in the kids, it would be "balance".

Now getting back to the Public Relations job......... :D

O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

OJ:

It's good to know S/V Tadpole is rigged similar to S/V Grace.

It would be my honor and privilege to work for you in any capacity. However, my salary requirements are non-negotiable. Two (2) pints of Guinness at the end of each work day. While I do not wish to be difficult or troublesome, this position is, as stated, NON-NEGOTIABLE.

Have your attorneys contact my attorneys to work out the details.
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Post by Markst95 »

Hi Tab- The video is probably mine, I think there is only one other person on youtube posting any Typhoon Videos. My jib tracks were original and had a movable fairlead on top. They were made of plastic and were very brittle so I replaced them with 1" aluminum track with slides and blocks. I mounted them in the same place as the original and they work well, but I would have used free standing blocks as they tend to bounce around some. I kept the 3/4" track on the combings as they were in good condition but haven't used my Genoa yet. I also haven't felt a need to use the Genoa, the working jib feels "just right" for the boat most times. I still wrap a couple loops around the winches when I'm single handing but I think its more for the click click(those bronze winches just sound nice!).

Sea Hunt you'll be happy to know I found my mooring and have a nice new 18" taylor solid bouy attached. Lets see those little buggers(barnacles) eat through that!
Last edited by Markst95 on Jun 29th, '10, 20:34, edited 1 time in total.
Dino
Location: Oriental, NC. CD 25D. Previously CD22, Typhoon and CD 10.

Mmmmm .... Guinness

Post by Dino »

Extra Stout, I presume?

I'm missing the bronze wingnut on one of the jib fairleads. Any thoughts on a source for replacement?
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Ty Rigging

Post by Oswego John »

Tab, Sea Hunt et all,

After last night's posting, I got to thinking. (now, that could be dangerous)

This afternoon, I pulled the cover off of another project Ty W/E to check out its rigging. It, too, is an early version of the Ty. It has a keel stepped mast. I couldn't get near the hull ID plate because I got attacked by a swarm of irate yellow jackets. The interesting thing that I noticed is that, even being an older version, the rigging is different than that of Grace, which also is an early model.

For the sake of brevity, I'll call this project boat,"PB". (Clever, yes?)

PB has a set of 3/4" wide tracks fastened about 1" inside of the toe rail, in the middle part of the cockpit. These tracks are 12" long. I would imagine that they are used for genoa sheets. There is an adjustable car on each track with a singlr block attached. (not spring loaded)

There is a second pair of tracks on the side of the cuddy, about an inch away from the cabin. They are mounted from the aft end of the cuddy running foreward. They are 3/4" wide and 12" long. They, too have a swivel block attached to an adjustable car. I would probably use them for a working jib sheet.

On the cuddy roof, toward the aft end of the hatch, are two open base, yacht type cleats which are mounted on teak pedestles. Adjacent and outboard to them are two fairleads.

As previously mentioned, PB has a keel stepped mast. Directly abreast on either side of the mast is a spring losded, upright turning block which is pointing to a fairlead heading aft.

This setup seems to me a bit more involved that some of the early Tys. How do I feel about all this? I say KISS.

I hope this sheds some light on the question.

Best regards,
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Tab

Thank you

Post by Tab »

Thank you all for the posts! I now can reconstruct what she used to sail with.