Lazy jacks

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

mattlydon

different lazy jack system

Post by mattlydon »

I was just on a fellow club member's Cal28 last evening for wed. night races, and noticed his very innovative lazy jack system.

Essentially, he has 2 lengths of bungee cord running the length of his boom, anchored roughly 2 feet in from either end, on on each side. There are 2 nylon hooks sized to just hold the bungee, mouth down, centered between the anchor points, and another pair on the mast, just ahead of the gooseneck. 2 lines come down from approximately spreader height on each side of the boom, with eyes around the bungee.

To use the lazy jacks, he unclips the bungee from the mast, and clips the middle into the center-boom hook. The vertical lines from the spreader are sized to pull the bungee up into inverted w's - end low, first line high, center low, second line high, mast end low.

After the sail was stowed, we simply unclipped the bungee from the center-boom hooks, pulled the lines forward to the mast, and clipped the bungee to the hooks on the mast, which kept all taught.

Very simple, Very effective - no blocks, halyards, etc.

Matt
Len

New Lazy jack discovery

Post by Len »

On a recent trip I had the slight misfortune to tear the starboard side of my lazy jacks at the mast end. They are hand braided lines that attach at the mast and bellow the boom. The port side remained in original shape attached to mast and boom).
What started as yet "another repair headache" turned out to be my new lazy jack solution.
Having only one side means that the sail goes up without the battens hanging up. Turning slightly to starboard with lots of leeway and the sail flew up without a snag. Coming down - no need to sail directly into the wind - a little off and the sail gets trapped in the port side lazy jack. If not , just pick up the mess and toss unto other side of the boom where the jacks still work. I think I'll leave them that way !!
Ignorance is the mother of adventure.

http://www.sail0rman.com
Len

New Lazy jack discovery

Post by Len »

On a recent trip I had the slight misfortune to tear the starboard side of my lazy jacks at the mast end. They are hand braided lines that attach at the mast and bellow the boom. The port side remained in original shape attached to mast and boom).
What started as yet "another repair headache" turned out to be my new lazy jack solution.
Having only one side means that the sail goes up without the battens hanging up. Turning slightly to starboard with lots of leeway and the sail flew up without a snag. Coming down - no need to sail directly into the wind - a little off and the sail gets trapped in the port side lazy jack. If not , just pick up the mess and toss unto other side of the boom where the jacks still work. I think I'll leave them that way !!
Ignorance is the mother of adventure.

http://www.sail0rman.com