How many people in a Typhoon?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

oldragbaggers

Post by oldragbaggers »

I believe our Ty was a 1979. We bought it in 1982 and I seem to recall it was 3 or 4 years old. It did have a self bailing cockpit. I don't know what to say about why we never swamped it, but I have photos in my album with 5 adults (minus me, the photographer), with champagne glasses raised and a Hawaiian sunset in the background. I'm not saying we always had a full load like that (and sometimes a coupld of the folks might be kids), but we did it on occassion and never had a problem....just a lot of fun.
Lance & Becky Williams
Happily retired and cruising aboard our dreamboat, Anteris
http://www.sailblogs.com/member/anteris/
https://www.facebook.com/oldragbaggers
Angela and Tom
prev. Typhoon "Dog Star"
Duxbury, MA

Six in a self bailing Typhoon

Post by Angela and Tom »

I think you'd close the scupper sea cocks and just make sure it's a pretty calm day! Just know that you're setting yourself up for a swamping. Like Becky said, once in a while you can probably get away with it.

We had a 78 typhoon for one season before we bought our 28 and had a ball. That summer rated as one of the best I've ever had. I thought 4 people on a Typhoon was too much but I think it's personal preference. Plus we were very green. We sailed it from Duxbury to Provicetown and spent 4 days and 3 nights on it and loved it. We were like gypsies camping on the water. But when we came back we started looking for a bigger boat. As someone else pointed out earlier in this thread, the deal breaker (for me) was the port-a-potty.

With launch day bearing down on us in two days, I'm taking a break from bottom painting, gathering the materials for final compounding and waxing, and looking at the list of things that yet again will go undone again this year. Around now, I really miss the Typhoon.
Jeff D

Have You Considered a Daysailer?

Post by Jeff D »

The cockpit in a Daysailer is much larger than a Weekender and the lack of self bailing means you can bring along the beefiest guests that will fit. I routinely carry four adults and think that six would be no problem.
Marc in Chicago

Post by Marc in Chicago »

Thanks to all for the helpful responses.

On further consideration of our likely uses for the boat (mostly daysailing with just the 2 of us), I'm back leaning towards the Ty again.

Jeff D is right: A daysailer would be the perfect boat (preferably with the cuddy for some storage).

Are there ANY out there for sale?
bhartley
CD25D #184 "Pyxis"

CDSOA Member #785

Potty...

Post by bhartley »

Before you get a Daysailer, make sure that having no potty is going to fly with the women on board. I say this as a woman who is now old enough that a tiny bit of privacy is not a luxury. On a Weekender, you have more options for discretion.
Jack.Ducas

weekender

Post by Jack.Ducas »

You might want to look at a Pearson Commander. Designed by Alberg. Was our first mono hull and was greatly forgiving for learning on. Although probably older then you might like this boat has a 9 ft cockpit, could sleep 4 if need be, two was perfect for sleeping. Sitting headroom no standing here unless in companion way. Relatively inexpensive. Google one, and good luck
marv brinn

people on a boat

Post by marv brinn »

I have a cd 27
we put four in the cockpit and when its breezy we dont know what to do with the others....so you need a bigger boat
none