CD26 motors

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

N Moore

CD26 motors

Post by N Moore »

It seems I am going to need a new outboard for my CD26. I understand from previous posts that a few 4-stroke engines are too large for the well. Can anyone recommend a 4-stroke 8 - 9.9 hp that would fit?
Droofus

Yamaha 9.9 Maybe

Post by Droofus »

We have a 1985 CD 26. She came with a Yamaha 9.9 four stroke. Probably 2001 vintage. The motor "just" fits in the motor well, BUT you cannot rotate the motor. So, since you cannot rotate the motor, and the motor - prop is behind the rudder, maneuverability, going to stern is severely limited. We are considering getting a smaller outboard
N Moore

CD26 motors

Post by N Moore »

Hi There. thanks for your reply. Have you researched smaller outboards? If so, what are you considering? Isn't the 8hp virtually the same size?
Droofus

Tohatsu 6 hp 4-Stroke Outboard Motor. Please tell us what y

Post by Droofus »

I found this possible replacement on one of the cd posts. I have not researched it, but will in the future. Since our motor still runs, we have not researched this subject. But, it sure would be nice to have an outboard that is powerfull enough to motor our CD26 and make it easier to manuver
Kilgore
Sea Cliff, NY
Member #1209

Post by Kilgore »

I have the Tohatsu 6hp sail-pro in my cd25 and like it a lot. I can rotate it nearly 90 degrees if I remove the fuel tank from the lazerette. This is very helpful in my marina.
It pushes about 3 knots at less than half throttle.
N Moore

CD26 motors

Post by N Moore »

Thanks for the tips. I have learned a lesson on this post. That being, check the search engine and you will probably find all you need to know already posted. I'm a little embarrassed that I posted this query before checking!