Hot water heater

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Richard G. Abbinanti
Name of Boat -Blue Caribbean- hull # 208
Long Island NY

Hot water heater

Post by Richard G. Abbinanti »

Another Hot water heater question:

When I purchased my Cape Dory a few years ago, the previous owner disconnected the water in and water out hose. He then connected them together. I wanted to reconnect these two hose again. I read when the thermostat opens the water goes through and heats the hot water , is there a valve to turn ?

Richard
Richard G. Abbinanti
bottomscraper

Post by bottomscraper »

Maybe, maybe not. On Mahalo we disconnect the water lines and bypass the water heater when we winterize. It saves several gallons of non-tox antifreeze. There is a valve in the cold water supply line to the water heater. It has been open since the day we bought the boat. I'm not sure what it's purpose is, maybe a shutoff if the heater leaks.
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
Richard G. Abbinanti
Long Island NY

Bottomscraper

I thank you, will look for a valve.

Richard
Richard G. Abbinanti
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Water Shut Off Valve

Post by Oswego John »

We call it a service valve. It controls plumbing downstream from the valve. If there should be any trouble with a sink or other plumbing component, you can shut the local service valve and still use the other plumbing facilities. They are very handy and useful.

O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Richard G. Abbinanti
Long Island NY

Any thing on the hot water heater itself?
Richard G. Abbinanti
Russell

Post by Russell »

bottomscraper wrote:There is a valve in the cold water supply line to the water heater. It has been open since the day we bought the boat. I'm not sure what it's purpose is, maybe a shutoff if the heater leaks.
When my heater busted a leak in the Bahamas I was VERY happy to have that shut off valve.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Jeff and Sarah
Location: CD33 "Prerequisite" / CD28 Flybridge Trawler "Toboggan"; Annapolis, MD

Which water lines?

Post by Jeff and Sarah »

Can you clarify that you mean a valve in the potable water lines or a valve in the engine water line? Worth noting is that the relief valve on my water heater says that if activated, it cannot be reset and must be replaced. I was glad that I noticed the warning, because it could save potential annoyances.

Also, I just flushed my water heater a couple days ago (the boat has been sitting for a long time unused before I purchased her)- It wasn't as bad as it could have been, but I did get quite a bit of rust out of it. If you haven't used the water heater before, it is probably worth running some water through the engine water portion to make sure it's not clogged or full of rust particles. I used a drill pump and some spare lengths of garden hose.
Richard G. Abbinanti
Long Island NY

Hot water heater

The valve I am looking for may not be there. Right now the fresh water does not go into the engine. Now I am going to attach fresh water to the hot water heater, is there something I should turn on , so that the fresh water goes into the engine and heats up and returns to the hot water heater.
Richard
Richard G. Abbinanti
doubleb

just a note

Post by doubleb »

On the humorous side of things.

I mean not to offend but I thought perfect timing.

I had a plumber tell me it’s not a Hot Water Heater.
It’s a water heater,
“You can’t heat hot water.â€