16-year-old sailing around world plans unassisted nonstop

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Russell

Post by Russell »

John, while I generally agree with you on all your points reguarding the boat choice, it should be noted that this particular Open 40 is probably the most conservative Open class boat ever designed and built. While still a racing sled, its much safer then most. No kanting keel, fully stayed mast, etc... In fact the keel is interesting and impressive, it actually comes through the bottom of the boat all the way up to the cabintop and is secured both at the hull and deck. It is definately a self righting boat even though your blog questions that (and certainly some Open designs of the past have had questionable righting ability, especially with the tendancy of their fancy kanting keels to fall off).

But indeed, its reliance on technology, as opossed to a cruising design that can operate by windvane, is worrisome. But so she wanted to go "fast", Mike whatshisname the 17 year old who did it in an Open 50 recently wanted to as well. He ran into similar issues as well (broken autopilots and such). As do many vendee entries run into such issues and end up abandoning with perfectly good boats with dead systems. But one has to assume she was well aware of this when deciding and aware that using such a boat reduced her chances of finishing, since the failures these boats have is all too well documented.

I do think she had a far better chance of finishing with a conservative traditional cruising design, such as her brother Zac sailed or the aussie Jessica Watson sailed. But she wanted to go fast in a high tech boat, and I say more power to her, and this particular choice of boats in that class I think was ideal for her. The guy who origonally had the boat designed and built did so with a criteria of basicly "I know I wont win the Vendee, I dont want a boat to win it, I want a boat that can finish it with me and it in one peice".

When she first lost communications I spent the night up listening to internet streams of austrailia radio to stay up to date. One station had an interview with the designer of Abbys boat that was very interesting, but the station does not have archives of old broadcast, just the live stream, so I cannot give a link to the interview.

I do not know what kind of skills Abby had with electronics and other boat systems, I should hope given the choice of boat that she was well versed in how to remove and install and do what repairs are doable at sea do her equipment. If she did lack in systems knowledge at the install/repair level, then I will agree with the many who say it was a poor choice for her and even reckless. But since the day she left I have held the assumption that she was well versed in this considering her choice in boat.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

There is some discussion about choosing a schedule that put her in the southern ocean in winter, when storms are prevalent. If I read the reports correctly, they "had" to do this because if they delayed until a more favorable season, she would not have qualified as the youngest to do a circumnavigation.

So the overriding consideration had to do with her age, and what it would be at the calculated end of the circumnavigation....Not what was the wisest and safest sailing plan for this extended voyage. Not prudent seamanship in anyone's book in my view and it begs the question;

If she had died, knowing that she was put in the southern ocean at a known bad time just to break a record that many think is wreckless to pursue in the first place.....could some legal suit (criminal or otherwise) be brought for negligence and endangerment of the life of a child. Criminally negligent homicide in my view is over the top but it is not beyond the realm of possibility.

Remember, a court in the Netherlands stopped a 14 year old from going. So there is legal precedent regarding such behavior by adults concerning minor children.
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
Dean Abramson

Still floating

Post by Dean Abramson »

I read that the boat is still afloat and adrift. Does anyone now why she did not disconnect a hose, open a seacock, and let it sink?

Great news that she got rescued.

Dean
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
Lang

What should be the permissiable age to sail solo?

Post by Lang »

What can stop a person taking their own boat out to sea? The parent? The courts?

Like I am older than 30, and I own my boat and I want to go on a weekend trip on my little Eleanor and my parents object. Should they be allowed to go to court and stop me?

If the legal driving age is 16, a parent cant stop the "junior adult" from learning to drive or driving if they pay for they own expenses, then I guess 16 is kinda the age when the parents cant stop a kid from going to sea.

I have seen some young hippie adults with far less sea going experience, bought new fancy boats and go out to sea. Why should that be legal for them?

I am happy for Abby that she tried, and even if she failed, I hope she may recover confidence in herself to try again. .. with better equipment, boat and timing.
Dick Barthel

Post by Dick Barthel »

Warren Kaplan wrote:There is some discussion about choosing a schedule that put her in the southern ocean in winter, when storms are prevalent. If I read the reports correctly, they "had" to do this because if they delayed until a more favorable season, she would not have qualified as the youngest to do a circumnavigation.

So the overriding consideration had to do with her age, and what it would be at the calculated end of the circumnavigation....Not what was the wisest and safest sailing plan for this extended voyage. Not prudent seamanship in anyone's book in my view and it begs the question;
That makes it vanity rather than sanity, especially in that type of boat. Luckily Abby's father won't have to live with the ultimate consequence. But it can't be denied that this girl is made of some fine stuff.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: What should be the permissiable age to sail solo?

Post by Neil Gordon »

Lang wrote:What can stop a person taking their own boat out to sea? The parent? The courts?
Here are the U.S. Coast Guard's rules. They apply only to the vessel.

PROHIBITION TO SAIL -
MANIFESTLY UNSAFE VOYAGE
Under the authority of 46 United States Code 4302 and
4308, the Commandant, U. S. Coast Guard has authorized
the District Commander to prohibit the voyage of any
vessel if he determines that said craft is unsuitable for the
intended trip. His determination will be based upon the
design, condition and outfitting of the vessel in relation to
what the District Commander deems necessary for a safe
voyage. Operator competency is NOT a factor in the final
determination. If a manifestly unsafe ruling is issued, the
voyage is terminated and the vessel will be prevented from
getting underway. The person making the voyage may
appeal.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
alan cohen

Post by alan cohen »

Warren Kaplan wrote:Not what was the wisest and safest sailing plan for this extended voyage. Not prudent seamanship in anyone's book in my view and it begs the question;
There is nothing wise or safe about circumnavigating the globe solo and unassisted...period. I suppose that is why people do it. I, for one, can think of no other good reason.

To this day I cannot fathom why someone would get in a boat all by themselves for who knows how many days/weeks/months. I enjoy my own company just fine, but not that much. I would much rather make a voyage like that with some companionship.
Last edited by alan cohen on Jun 14th, '10, 05:04, edited 1 time in total.
okawbow

I hope they never stop

Post by okawbow »

Thank God for people like Abby Sunderland. The world would be a dull, and frightening place if we stopped people from living their dreams. It's worth the risk! There are 6 billion people swarming on the surface of the world. If some die in the realization of their dreams; it's their business.

I don't know about others, but I knew right from wrong and good from bad, by the time I was 13. If I had been into sailing at that age, and had the money and experience; I would have wanted to cross oceans. I hope no one ever tries to stop me from completing my dreams. Who wants to die in bed any way?
Dick Barthel

Fox News

Post by Dick Barthel »

Fox News was reporting this morning that there are indications the father rushed the voyage for commercial reasons - He is in financial difficulty supposedly and he has sponsor commitments and other commerical considerations that were driving the rush. It was even suggested that rough seas might have been desirable. Even if true it is not a reflection on Abby.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Fox News

Post by Neil Gordon »

Dick Barthel wrote:Even if true it is not a reflection on Abby.
It's never been a reflection on Abby.

The underying issue of "youngest" is not what they accomplish. It's about whether they are free of inreasonable influence and are, in fact, making their own decisions.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Dick Barthel

Re: Fox News

Post by Dick Barthel »

Neil Gordon wrote:
Dick Barthel wrote:Even if true it is not a reflection on Abby.
It's never been a reflection on Abby.

The underlying issue of "youngest" is not what they accomplish. It's about whether they are free of inreasonable influence and are, in fact, making their own decisions.
Precisely.

Again Fox reported that she may have been feeling pressure to go against her judgement. Several nights ago Heraldo flat out called her father abusive. If she had been lost no doubt there would be a full investigation but since she is safe there probably won't be. To be fair, the Fox report was by no means indepth and was mostly inadmissable hearsay.

I'm not a big fan of Fox but I watch it so I can remain fair and balanced.

Dick
rorik

Re: I hope they never stop

Post by rorik »

okawbow wrote:Thank God for people like Abby Sunderland. The world would be a dull, and frightening place if we stopped people from living their dreams. It's worth the risk! There are 6 billion people swarming on the surface of the world. If some die in the realization of their dreams; it's their business.

I don't know about others, but I knew right from wrong and good from bad, by the time I was 13. If I had been into sailing at that age, and had the money and experience; I would have wanted to cross oceans. I hope no one ever tries to stop me from completing my dreams. Who wants to die in bed any way?
Exactly.
I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request. Means no.
Tod Mills

Interesting article in Latitude 38

Post by Tod Mills »

Tod Mills
Montgomery 17 "BuscaBrisas", Sandusky, OH (with trips elsewhere)
Tartan 26 project boat
Cape Dory admirer
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Tod:

Very interesting, thoughtful and thought provoking article. I think the last paragraph sums it up very well.
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Russell

Post by Russell »

The reality TV show thing has already been debunked, it was something proposed back when Zac was doing his sail, and never turned into anything. A huge chunk the article, all hearsay from some guy they met with one time is the expert on their finances?

Rubbish.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)