What do you do with the tiller at the end of the day???

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Dick Barthel

Post by Dick Barthel »

Ron Churgin wrote:I just let mine swing free, vertically.

Now you all have me worried. Is there a reason to lash down the tiller? I am at a dock so am not swinging around a mooring.
I do vertical just like Joe M when I'm staying on the boat for cockpit room and horizonal when I'm not. Horizontal really locks in the tiller/rudder with zero movement which I've always thought is a good thing, especially in foul weather. I've notice the rudder is moving some in the vertical so I prefer not to have that happening for longer periods when I'm not on the boat. I have a cover which does not show any extraordinary wear by making 5 or 6 turns to spread the load a bit.
Dick Barthel

Re: "Tiller" Knot?

Post by Dick Barthel »

Joe Montana wrote:At a CD rendezvous a few years ago, a member was teaching several of us a knot that can be tied around the tip of a tiller in the bight of a line. When tensioned, it gripped the tiller and the two ends could be cleated or tied off port and starboard.

When the knot was slipped off the end of the tiller, the ends of the line were pulled in opposite directions and the knot simply disappeared or "exploded" (like a slip knot).

Does anyone remember the name of this knot, or how to tie it? It's primary use was for improvising a bosun's chair using a flat a piece of wood -- but it was a great way to tie off a tiller quickly and securely with any piece of line.
Joe,

If I'm not mistaken the knot teacher first showed us at the Essex Rendevous and again in Wickford when he was crewing with Leo. Perhaps Leo can chime in with his name. It is a niffy knot for the tiller application. My problem is I forget between sailing seasons!

Dick
Last edited by Dick Barthel on Jun 11th, '10, 19:47, edited 1 time in total.
aja

Joe's knot

Post by aja »

Joe,

We just refer to it as "Joe Montana's knot", since you showed it to us.

Diana
s/v aja
1977 cd25 #530
Fairhaven, MA

NE Fleet Member since 2002
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Diana, Joe M. and Dick B.:

There is a good website for knots:

http://www.animatedknots.com/knotlist.p ... dknots.com

It has more than 100 different knots, etc.

I looked for a knot called "Joe Montana's knot" but it was not there. :D :D :D :wink:

If you scroll through the list of knots perhaps it will help to jog your memory for the name of the knot used by your instructor.
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

What Do You Do With A Tiller?

Post by Oswego John »

I lash my tiller in a horizontal position.

I used to tie it off with 1/4" cord, but ever since I won the Power Ball lottery, I ratcheted my standard of living up several notches and now tie it off with pure, virgin bungee cord.

While we are waiting for Leo and the info on the "Joe Montana Knot", I'll mention the knot I used to use to tie off my tiller. This knot is so simple to use, in spite of my memory lapses, I can remember it most of the time. It's even easier to tie than tying your shoe laces.

The knot is called the Cattle knot, or Larkshead knot. The same knot that some people use with their jib sheet.

Now, if only I can find my boat. Yeah, the one that glows in the dark. :D

Have a nice weekend.
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

It's funny how we guys care so much more about the maintenance of our tillers than our wives and girlfriends. I wish my wife cared half as much about my tiller as I do. ..... Oh wait you guys are talking about boats.....never mind... I have a wheel.

Joe
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
Joe Montana
Member 781

Try This

Post by Joe Montana »

O.K. after much trial and error, I think this is it:

1. Starting in the middle of your length of line, make three wraps over the very end of your tiller. Call the loop furthest from the end of the tiller Loop 1, the middle one Loop 2 and the third wrap Loop 3.

2. Lift Loop 1 and move it forward (over the top of Loops 2 and 3) so that it is now the loop closest to the end of the tiller.

3. Take what is now the middle loop, and lift it up and over the end of your tiller, and pull tight.

4. This should hold the tiller in place, and when you slide the loops off of the tiller, the knot should "explode" like a slip knot.
Dick Barthel

Good going Joe

Post by Dick Barthel »

Now memory can be replaced with a print out.

What I like about the knot is it accomplishes the objective with minimum effort and it has a seamanship look about it...I look for as much of that as I can find on my boat to hide the real facts from the casual observer.

Thanks Joe. I'm on board for calling it the Joe Montana Knot from here on.
jbenagh
Salem, MA

clove hitch

Post by jbenagh »

I use a clove hitch. Only two loops but I can set it up off the tiller then slip it on. It sounds very similar to Joe's knot. My scoutmaster (a Navy man) taught us making this knot off the object to be "cloved" and I never saw a reason to use it until Sprite's tiller.

To make it, tie off one end of the line to a cleat. Then make a loop, with the bitter end on top and leading away from the fastened end. Then make another loop in the bitter end, in the opposite direction, with the bitter end coming under where the first loop ended. Then slip the loops over the tiller. The line should look like an "X" with the lines entering and exiting from the middle of the "X".

Jeff
Joe Montana
Member 781

Post by Joe Montana »

I appreciate the thought, but let's leave the knot "nameless" until we can assign ownership to the proper person.
Dick Barthel

Post by Dick Barthel »

Joe Montana wrote:I appreciate the thought, but let's leave the knot "nameless" until we can assign ownership to the proper person.
you'll never get to be Vice President with that virtuous attitude!
Noel Heslop
Location: Cape Dory 25D #141, "Breezy", Lake Macquarie, East Coast of Australia

Clove Hitch - Square Rigger

Post by Noel Heslop »

I mentioned this topic to a knowledgeable sailor friend and Ross's immediate answer was "clove hitch".

Ross suggested perhaps the clove hitch was called something different in the US, but I guess knot.

Ross presented at our local Lake Macquarie Cruising (sailing) meeting last night about sailing on a square rigger "Leeuwin 11" from Darwin to Broome in 2003. Leeuwin 11 is a youth training ship built in Perth for the America's Cup in 1986. All about team building for youth.

If you are visiting Australia, and wish to become a "paying" participant:
http://www.sailleeuwin.com/
Noel Heslop CD25D #141 "Breezy"
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

John Martin?

Post by Neil Gordon »

Joe Montana wrote:I appreciate the thought, but let's leave the knot "nameless" until we can assign ownership to the proper person.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Joe Montana
Member 781

Post by Joe Montana »

Yes, Neil, I think you're right. Mystery solved! The "Martin tiller knot" it is.
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

John Martin's knot

Post by Joe Myerson »

Well, since I introduced this element into the thread, I'll impart a secret that John Martin himself told me while we were imbibing Ruth MacDonald's deeelicious Dark & Stormies in Wickford, RI last year:

The knot is listed in knot books as a "scaffold hitch" or "scaffold lash."

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627