Canvas Buckets

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

barfwinkle

Canvas Buckets

Post by barfwinkle »

Good Morning to Everyone

Can anyone recommend a source for a good canvas bucket? I have looked at dozens of sites. Any experience with a particular manufacturer? I am looking for the quality of our CD Canvas Boat Bags.

Fair Winds
Bill Member #250.
moctrams
Location: 1982 Cape Dory 30C,Gabbiano,Hull # 265,Flag Harbor,Long Beach, Md.

eBay

Post by moctrams »

Saw a bunch of canvas bucket on eBay.
Carl Thunberg

Sewing Project?

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Bill,

I don't know if you have the inclination or not, but this is a pretty good sewing project. I was admiring Bob Emmons' canvas bucket once and he told me he made it. I seem to remember someone else making one from an old mainsail, using the bolt rope to reinforce the rim. I think I'm quoting Judy Duke when I say consider a sewing machine a power tool for cloth.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Bob Ohler

Hervey Garrett Smith... Arts of the Sailor

Post by Bob Ohler »

Bill, I sewed one of Smith's ditty bags from the sketch in the book mentioned in the subject line. I sewed it by hand because I was taking a canvas class at the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum. I finished it with brass grommets from Sailrite. In addition, I took the same concept and made another one recently from leftover scrap that I had leftover from an apron project. The latest one ties with four lines of cowhide through a stopper ball.

The plan and the concept can be modified to suit your bucket needs. It may just be time for you to purchase a Sailrite machine, or find a friend who owns one (yikes!).

Bob O.
Bob Ohler
CDSOA Member #188
CD30B, Hull # 335
sv Aloha Spirit
MFC
Hull No.128

Post by MFC »

Don't know about quality, but Defender has a 1.5 gal for $9.

Greenboatstuff.com has a 3gal for $14.

Matt
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

for tools or water?

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Bill,

Do you want a canvas tool bucket or a canvas water bucket?

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

Bill,

This old Boat
by Don Casey has a great section on sewing projects. One of the simplest is the bucket. Before taking on sewing up my sails from a kit, I sewed up a round ditty bag. I eventually made weather cloths and tool wraps as well. Seems like that may be a good option if you want to spend and evening or two on the project.

PAUL
Jim Walsh

Nice canvas bucket

Post by Jim Walsh »

I bought mine from Wooden Boat's booth at the show in Mystic a couple years ago. It's very well made and it was inexpensive though I don't recall the price. I'm sure they have a link on their website.
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

Water Cathy

I have a nice tool bucket!

Fair Winds
Bill Member #250.
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

http://www.google.com/products?q=canvas ... &scoring=p

Buckingham and Klein make good canvas buckets, but you'll pay extra for them.
David L

Post by David L »

Mine is from West Marine. When trying to fill it underway, the rim collapses making it very difficult to scoop up a load.