What would it take to retire and sail off into the sunset...

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Chuck Conklin
Location: Cape Dory Intrepid 40 #004 = SV Mañana Currently in Venezuela

Big decision

Post by Chuck Conklin »

No, it takes more than "GUTS", it takes a dedicated decision to drop everything you have and know and move into a completely new world. This is NOT a decision to be made lightly.

We have seen many couples buy the boat and refit it, then get cold feet when it was time to leave the marina and cross to the Bahamas.

Think this through slowly!

Chuck
SV Mañana
Intrepid 40
Hull #4
mshopenn

Post by mshopenn »

I wasn't making light of the decision or saying that you shouldn't be fully prepared. But I know what it's like, from personal experience, to have sailed, prepared your boat, honed your navigation skills and still be scared to leave the dock. Especially alone. It really does come down to guts, putting aside the fears of what might go wrong and just going.
oldragbaggers

It's all relative

Post by oldragbaggers »

Kilgore wrote:But then there is this:
http://www.kiplinger.com/tools/retirement-cost/
I believe that Kiplinger's figures assume maintaining the same lifestyle post retirement that you had pre-retirement. If you really want to sail off into the sunset, assuming you're going to get rid of that big mortgage and all the operating costs of the house that secured it, if the adult children are really functioning as adults and taking care of themselves, and if you want to be (in the word of Lyn and Larry Pardey) a cruiser and not a consumer, then it should not take anywhere near the figures given by Kiplinger to sail off into the sunset (assuming of course you are not going to run into anything, see KerryDeare's post).

You're young. You'll never be any younger than you are right now. If you have the wherewithall to do it now, while you are able to enjoy it most, and especially if you are still young enough to return to the workforce when you're done if it isn't your cup of tea forever, then I would not bat an eyelash. As a matter of fact, I'd be too busy loading the boat to finish reading this thread.

Becky
Lance & Becky Williams
Happily retired and cruising aboard our dreamboat, Anteris
http://www.sailblogs.com/member/anteris/
https://www.facebook.com/oldragbaggers
John Vigor

It's a choice

Post by John Vigor »

This thread reminds me of a middle-aged Englishman I met a couple of years back on a voyage to St. Helena Island in the South Atlantic aboard a Royal Mail steamer.

He somehow found out that June and I had left behind everything we owned and loved and sailed across the oceans on a 30-footer.

"You were very lucky," he said. "I wish I could have done that."

We laughed. "Luck had nothing to do with it," I said. "It's a choice."

"I had no choice," he insisted. "It was expected of me to marry, have children, buy a house, and hold down a responsible job."

"You chose to do what other people expected of you," we pointed out. "You could have chosen instead to sail across an ocean."

He got red in the face and very cross. "You don't understand," he said, "the social pressures left me no choice."

He didn't speak to us again for the rest of the trip. I'm sure he though we were very gauche and rude. But maybe he will see the light one day if he improves his ability to think.

We made the choice and we suffered greatly financially, as we have done ever since. And we were afraid. Especially me. Very afraid. But the experience enriched our lives and gave us great confidence in our ability to survive, not only in our dealings with Nature at sea, but also in our intercourse with fellow humans on land.

We understand that some people have committments on land that they feel compelled to fulfill, and we respect their choice. But that's what is it is: a choice. Don't let's pretend it's impossible because of social pressure or money.

True, it does take guts, but the guts is used in making the choice.

Cheers,

John V.
mshopenn

Post by mshopenn »

Not surprising that it would be John Vigor to have the last and most eloquent word on the subject. Thank you. It's a great thread because I'm seriously contemplating sailing a CD 22 to Bermuda from North Carolina (Reinforced and prepared, of course). And, if all goes well on that leg, on to the Azores and Gibraltar. It's a bit scary but not as bad as the first time I left the dock alone.
evan
Hull #140

Post by evan »

Inspiring post John.

I just resigned my job, and did not renew my apartment lease. I've made the choice to go. Needless to say I'm worried and don't feel well enough prepared, but as the saying goes - you'll regret the things you didn't do more than the ones you did.

So, to the original poster, I'd say you and your wife should take the settlement and go.

Good luck!
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did do!

Mark Twain

or,

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, "It might have been!"

John Greenleaf Whittier

I firmly believe both quotes!!!!
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
Greg Kozlowski

John Vigor is absolutely right

Post by Greg Kozlowski »

It is just a choice. When my colleaques at the university where I was tenured got wind of my decision to quit and go cruising with my wife, many said to me "You are so lucky, wish I could do the same" My standard answer to each of them was: "You can." But, but, but....... came the reply. They simply could not accept that it was THEIR choice not to do likewise.

John is also spot on about how the experience enriches one's life and builds tremendous confidence. To that I would add that it also very much changes one's perspective on life and living.

Greg
bgephart

See June 2010 Cruising World

Post by bgephart »

June 2010 Cruising World has an article by Fatty Goodlander on this very topic. His points reflect much of what this board has already posted, but he makes a very good point about where to spend your money - safety not glitz.
oldragbaggers

Post by oldragbaggers »

I believe that you could give the same boat, the same money and the same onshore financial circumstances (assuming modest in all three categories) to a number of different wannabe cruising couples you would come up with wildly different opinions of the experience.

There would probably be some that would be delirously happy, relishing the freedom and the opportunity to live simply and more in touch with the true necessities of life. Some would probably even say they could go on forever, never needing anything more than a simple boat, the absence of complicated shoreside life, and the freedom to explore at will.

Then there might be some who would do it for awhile, being grateful for the opportunity to have experienced it, but ready to return to a more "normal life" ashore.

Then there would probably be others who would describe it as a torturous exercise in deprivation. They might complain how tasks ashore had become monumentally difficult afloat (washing clothes, storing groceries, taking showers) never considering the long days at the office they had to exchange for all that "convenience".

In every case it would have nothing to do with the resources but with the attitudes of the cruisers.

My favorite book on the subject is "Sensible Cruising, The Thoreau Approach", by Don Casey and Lew Hackler. They deal with just what is necessary and how the rest is is a matter of attitude.

We are retiring to cruise in July 2016. We have been committed to the idea for 30 years, but over the years had made the choice to delay the date for reasons having to do with family (spell that g-r-a-n-d-c-h-i-l-d-r-e-n) that are not important to anyone but us. But we concede that this is our choice. That being said, when that date arrives, however modest the lifestyle choices we have to make, we will be willing.

Becky

Lance & Becky Williams
Happily retired and cruising aboard our dreamboat, Anteris
http://www.sailblogs.com/member/anteris/
https://www.facebook.com/oldragbaggers
BubbaThePirate

Post by BubbaThePirate »

mahalocd36 wrote:For sure, many many people have sailed off with a lot less.

So it's really between you, your wife, your financial advisor.
I'm not sure how many wives but I'm sure that no financial advisor would understand "sailing off into the sunset" as a real plan. That's why I don't have either. :o)
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Eat When You're Hungry
Work When You're Broke
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Member #1005
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mike
Location: Adagio is an Outbound 44 cruising in the Eastern Caribbean

Living the dream

Post by Mike »

This is a great thread. Mike and I have sailed off into the sunrise (Armand – very funny post! We went in the right direction): we sold everything and moved onto our boat three years ago and are now enjoying the Med. Like Chuck, we haven’t regretted a minute (except those days when everything goes wrong!). Here are a few thoughts based on our experience.
Melissa said that she’d do an extended cruise first before committing to longer. In fact, that’s what Mike and I did, and it is excellent advice. In 2004-2005 Mike was an early retiree, and I had a one-year sabbatical, so we sailed to the Eastern Caribbean for a long winter in the sun. That was the clincher. Before that winter, if anyone had suggested that we sell everything in order to make this a permanent lifestyle; I would’ve said “you’re crazyâ€
fenixrises

Post by fenixrises »

Hi all,

I agree with John Vigor whole heartedly. I discovered the "choice" factor(Sounds like a good book title) many years ago.

During my early boat building years in SoCal I had many weekend boatbuilders come through the yar where I was finishing my PS 25.

We would talk. I would listen to their dreams and aspirations. And the I would drop the bombshell. "What do you think is the hardest thing to do?" And then I would listen to the answer and I would say "No that's not it." And they would come up with another two or three difficulties and I answered the same, until they finally asked "What is the hardest thing about building or buying a boat and sailing off?"

I said "It is quite simple. Make the decision. All else is an excuse or just a step in the process."

So just make the decision!! This is true for all aspects in life by the way. Just make the decision.

Take care from hot and humid Panama,
Fred
You should always have an odd number of holes in your boat!
Como No Cruising
COMO NO

Sailing Into The Sunset

Post by Como No Cruising »

Thanks John Vigor and Adagio. You reflected the positive sides of the GO question that was posted by several others. The decision is the final thing. Before that must come the desire. Or, at least, in our case it was the desire and dream that furnished the willingness to put into motion the mechanics of preparing the vessel and ourselves to cut the dock lines and head off for distant shores. After the desire comes the commitment. Friends thought that we should likely be committed-but we forged ahead with our dream.

Como No cast off her lines in 1997 from Kemah, Texas on her great adventure. Ann & I did not have a boat load of cash, but the boat was paid for. We had no other bills. The house was leased and placed in the hands of a competent and honest manager. Gone were the vehicles that we would no longer need. Some items of sentimental value were tucked away in storage.

I did not have a retirement account, but we had some funds in the bank and the rental on the house would count for a good part of our cruising funds.

Were we scared-anxious? You bet, but nothing in life is guaranteed. I won't bore you with a lot of sea stories, but I will tell you that we survived a lightning strike that took out all our electronics and a hurricane (Mitch) in our first 12 months of cruising in the North West Caribbean. We sailed back to Texas and spent over a year refitting before heading off again in 2000. The cruising bug had bitten hard, and despite the set back we knew that we could carry on.

Since that rocky start Como No has taken us on many more adventures and around the globe. In the intervening 10 years before returning to our home port we have had a wonderful time. True, there were some rough patches, but such is life no matter what you are doing. There are no free rides. But, it beat going to work every day and fighting the Rat Race. Our jobs consisted of looking after the welfare of one another and our sailing home. I could not imagine a better life than the life we have chosen.

What did our cruising cost us over our 14 years of full time live-a-board? Less than living in a house, maintaining 2 vehicles and watching others try to keep up with the Jones.

All that said, we all know that the cruising life is not for everyone. It is different and many adjustments have to be made in order enjoy the lifestyle. The # 1 adjustment is Attitude and then commitment. If your partner isn't with you 100% you may wish to rethink your plans.

Ann & I would be happy to share our experiences and answer any questions related to our cruising. This Ole Boat has done us good.

Will & Annie La Fleur
Aboard Como NO
Kemah, Texas
RonE58

Post by RonE58 »

Great String..., a couple of tangents here or there, but the theme still stands, what would it take for someone to sail off into the sunset. Personally I am not ready. Some of us have complicated lifes while others are more simplified. And even if I was being a bit rhetorical, it hits a chord with us sailors. To be able to leave the big house/mortgage and a comfortable job, and those family responsibilities and cast off is an intoxicating thought.
At 51 I am beginning to truly think about it seriously for the first time. For now, I am contented on getting out for those late weekday sails, and dodging the 40 footers on the weekends, an occasional overniter and rare week long trip. But some day maybe in the not to distant future I will be like one of you fine folks and leave it all behind.
Ron