Slinger washer

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Carter Brey
City Island, New York

Slinger washer

Post by Carter Brey »

Question for the list: just how crucial is the slinger washer on the raw
water pump (I have the old Westerbeke 24143)? Mine is gone (we won't go into that just now). The seals are new and in good shape.

I've ordered a new slinger from Torresen, and I'll be able to
install the correct part in a few days, but for now I'd like to use the
boat for the weekend with a bit of engine use.

Thoughts?
Warren S

Cape Dory 270 Hull #5

Washington, NC

I'd go for the "few days" without worry

Post by Warren S »

As I recall, the slinger washer occupies the space between the seal for the water pump and that for the engine pump drive gear. I'm not sure that that piece of rubber is for, other than to sling any water away from approaching the oil seal.
"Being hove to in a long gale is the most boring way of being terrified I know." -Donald Hamilton
bill2

slingers

Post by bill2 »

I think I maybe cheating the few remaining brain cells that recall the mechanical time of my life - but with that caveat - here goes . . .

Slinger washers got their name as the first line of defense for seals - which for whatever reason ( volume/pressure/whatever ) were not deemed sufficient to withstand the full brunt of the fluids at hand. For example - consider a rainy day and a person walking down Broadway with a rain coat and umbrella. The raincoat would be comparable to the seal while the umbrella would equate with the slinger . ( we'll leave out the galoshes to keep it simple ;-)

Leastways that's the way I seem to recall it . . . maybe someone with better memory or more learning might be able to shed more light on the subject.

I think short term you could be ok though you may want to change out both if you have it apart .
Parfait's Provider
berthed Whortonsville, NC

Bearing Protection?

Post by Parfait's Provider »

Carter,

You might want to take a look at this on Torreson's site:
http://forums.torresen.com/sailing/view ... f=3&t=1701

Someone there claims that the slinger keeps the water away from the bearings which are not "waterproof," whatever that means. Maybe it keeps the bearings from rusting?
Keep on sailing,

Ken Coit, ND7N
CD/36 #84
Parfait
Raleigh, NC