Bottom Paint Recommendations

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Invictus
CDSOA #1251

Bottom Paint Recommendations

Post by Invictus »

Any one have suggestions for ablative bottom paint for Narragansett Bay?

Thanks a lot!
Jeff
“…It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.â€
JWSutcliffe

Post by JWSutcliffe »

I have had great results with International Micron Extra, and Petit zinc on the prop. What little growth I got last season washed off easily. Maybe 6 barnacles total.
Skip Sutcliffe
CD31 Oryx
Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Post by Markst95 »

I used Pettit Hydrocoat last season. Worked well for barnacles, but not very well with scum at the waterline. One of the least expensive for a multi season ablative and its water based so easier cleanup and somewhat friendlier to the environment. I'm moored in the upper bay near Bullocks Point so there's more gunk in the water than down closer to Newport. Heard from the Harbormaster that last year was a bad barnacle year (the little buggers sunk my mooring bouy!)
Russell

Post by Russell »

Markst95 wrote: Heard from the Harbormaster that last year was a bad barnacle year (the little buggers sunk my mooring bouy!)
Seriously? How??

Sorry, I did laugh when I read that, I am sure it was not funny when you were dealing with it though.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Duncan Maio

Post by Duncan Maio »

I have been using the West Marine house brand (CCP Plus, I think) for three years now with very good results. Still tinkering with something to keep the prop clean, but the hull always comes out nice, with minimal buildup.

I usually do one coat, plus an extra coat at the waterline and the leading edge of the keel.

I have kept the boat in Bristol Harbor; moving to Barrington this year, and we may get more wear with the boat moored in the channel.
Duncan Maio
s/v Remedy
CD27 #37
Bristol, RI
Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Post by Markst95 »

Russell- The bouy was an air filled one and the barnacles managed to split the rubber/plastic so it sunk. The harbormaster said he had heard of quite a few floats sinking last season because of this. Time for a hard foam filled float this year.
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Re: Bottom Paint Recommendations

Post by Sea Hunt »

Invictus wrote:Any one have suggestions for ablative bottom paint for Narragansett Bay?
Jeff:

I know you asked about Narragansett Bay. But I thought I would share my last bottom cleaning experience with you.

In April 2008 I had a painter apply two coats of Sea Hawk Tropikote to S/V Tadpole's bottom. It has been in the water 24/7/365 for the past two years.

Last week I cleaned S/V Tadpole's bottom after not cleaning her for 2 1/2 months. I have tried to clean her every 30 days but travel, family matters, etc. delayed the last cleaning.

I thought when I went under her bottom that she would be covered in barnacles, grass, growths, etc. after 10 weeks of neglect. Amazingly, she had only a few barnacles and a small amount of grass. Easy job to clean off.

I know Biscayne Bay is far different than your sailing grounds but if Sea Hawk makes a product that works for tropical climates I am guessing they make a product for northern climates.

Unless someone recommends something different, my plan is to apply Sea Hawk Tropikote in November 2010 (after "H" season ends :D ).
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097