rebedding cockpit scuppers

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

marka
CD 27
Hull 219
Oswego, NY

rebedding cockpit scuppers

Post by marka »

I replaced the scupper to thru-hull hoses a few years back with wire-reinforded hose. The S-bend in the hose placed enough stress in the verticle direction to pop the bronze scupper up out of the cockpit floor. I removed the hose and rebedded the scupper with 3M 5200 today and plan to let it cure for a week or so.

Does anyone have any experience with the ability for 5200 to adhere bronze to fiber glass? I cleaned both with acetone. I guess the other alternative is to use epoxy
Mark Abramski
Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Post by Markst95 »

5200 will adhere pretty much anything to anything. Epoxy wouldn't work very well because it has no flex, the 5200 will remain somewhat flexible. Try to keep the area clean for a few days, it does take a really long time to set up.
Ray Garcia

Post by Ray Garcia »

Don't feel bad I did the same thing. I wound up using epoxy thickened with fumed silica. Still holding strong. I imagine 5200 will work just the same. It does take about a week or more to fully cure.

After my episode I switched to non-wire exhaust hose. I found the wire reinforced just too hard to take that "s" turn.

Wasn't easy getting the hose over that scupper flange was it? I know the pain.
Duncan Maio

Post by Duncan Maio »

I used 5200 three years ago, I think - still holding strong. I, too, let it cure for a week or more.
Duncan Maio
s/v Remedy
CD27 #37
Bristol, RI