BP oil spill

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

mahalocd36

Post by mahalocd36 »

Hmmm...do you think Fox "News" is government owned?
They have a page on "Oil Disaster in the Gulf".

http://www.foxnews.com/topics/oil-spill.htm

On one hand you say Obama isn't doing enough, on the other hand you say it's no big deal. Funny.
Last edited by mahalocd36 on May 3rd, '10, 14:30, edited 2 times in total.
Melissa Abato
www.sailmahalo.com
mahalocd36

Re: BP OIL SPILL

Post by mahalocd36 »

Robert Delaney wrote:To date no oil has reached any shore and it is still several miles from shore even with 25 to 30 knot onshore winds for the past several days.
Oh, and according to Govt-owned Fox News oil began washing ashore April 29th...

http://www.foxnews.com/slideshow/world/ ... ana-coast/
Melissa Abato
www.sailmahalo.com
Robert Delaney

BP Oill Spill

Post by Robert Delaney »

Funny you should single out Fox News - Hummmmm! I only mentioned the state controlled media! I looked at all 38 pictures posted at the last web site you referenced and there is no oil washing ashore in any of the photos - only lots of folks walking along beaches and some reanchoring of oil booms which the strong onshore winds had blown ashore. All but one of the news reports on the first website you reference are posting AP news reports. I stand by my earlier comments that the current regime has done nothing except point fingers and cover their you know what. A disaster may occur but it certainly has not yet - one would not know this by listening to press accounts. I lived in Alaska for over 9 years and I can tell you that the Exxon Valdez oil spill was also greatly over hyped and was never the disaster that it was made out to be - it did make lots of people very well off however who never were before the spill.
Russell

Post by Russell »

I have stayed out of this thread because I am still up in the air opinion wise as for how BP and the government are handling it (I dont think anyone is well informed enough to judge right now). But I cant help respond to Roberts posts here. What state controlled media are you refering to? AFN? There really isnt many state controlled media outlets, even NPR and PBS are shielded from government influence by CPB. So which government controlled media are you refering to?

If it is actually a suggestion that the commercial media actually being controlled by the government, then please, such rhetoric has no place on the CD boards, take it elsewhere. I see no reason we cannot discuss the oil spill here without spiraling into the political back and fourth seen on other internet forums.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Steve Laume

Re: BP Oill Spill

Post by Steve Laume »

Robert Delaney wrote:I stand by my earlier comments that the current regime has done nothing except point fingers and cover their you know what. A disaster may occur but it certainly has not yet - one would not know this by listening to press accounts.
In what way is our government equipped to deal with deep water offshore drilling mishaps? It was the producers that assured the people they had everything under control and that it was a safe practice. We are now learning otherwise.

Rest assured a disaster has occurred it is just that it's full effects have not been felt as yet. This is kind of like waiting on a hurricane. Not much you can do to stop it at this point. So we wait to see just how bad it will be and then do our best to clean up the mess afterward.

The major difference is that this was not an act of God. It was an accident in a highly profitable industry. My Mom always told me that if I made a mistake that effected others, I should apologize first and then do my best to make it right.

It seems like the real finger pointing is being done at the government, when in fact it was a private industry that lobbied for the right to drill and then caused the problem.

In one form or another we will all pay for this, Steve.
jerryaxler

oil spill

Post by jerryaxler »

This one little area of my world where I come for the peace and quiet that the discussion of "messin around in boats" brings, so is it possible to stop this red versus blue discussion now. It has no place on this board, except to wish the best for our members who are in harm's way.
Fairwinds and following seas,
Jerry Axler
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Thanks guys and sorry for the waves in our queit anchorage that is the CD message board.

I have always been impressed, not only by the knowledge this group contains but the civility with which it is dispensed.

I will raise my glass to all of you, Steve.
Dick Barthel

Well done Jerry and JohnB! n/m

Post by Dick Barthel »

n/m
Shipscarver
"SOUL MATE"

Oil spill

Post by Shipscarver »

usual the government owned press is over hyping an issue. The current white house regime has done nothing

Pee Party type people propaganda aside, the USCG was ordered in immediately (under the specific direction of the Commandant, at the Presidents orders) and Federal emergency response personnel were attached to the project within 24 hours, in spite of the fact that BP was still claiming it could handle it. And, the day the Democrats "own" the big money newspaper publishers will be the day we have a bigger problem . . . Hell freezing over. :wink:
Shipscarver
Sailing the Florida Gulf
Troy Scott

This is not a political forum.

Post by Troy Scott »

This is a social forum.

Jerry Axler wrote
"This one little area of my world where I come for the peace and quiet that the discussion of "messin around in boats" brings, so is it possible to stop this red versus blue discussion now. It has no place on this board, except to wish the best for our members who are in harm's way."

Thanks, Jerry. I did NOT mean to start a political discussion. I meant to commiserate with friends. I started to respond to a comment that offended me...., but I decided that this is indeed NOT the place. I am sorry the discussion shifted to political.

For general understanding and information: It is not necessary for the oil to come onshore (any more than it already has) for this to be a disaster. It's already wreaked havoc in the waters of the Gulf. I know folks have already seen many dead seabirds and other animals. I know people are already having respiratory problems. Commercial fishing has necessarily stopped. And it will come onshore in more places.....

I saw the results of a very small spill about 35 years ago. The oil washed onshore at Dauphin Island and turned a lot of the sand to clumps that resembled asphalt. There were many dead fish and animals, millions of biting flies, and a terrible smell. It lasted for weeks.

No hype here, just observation.
Regards,
Troy Scott
mahalocd36

Post by mahalocd36 »

I also apologize for going down the political road; I would have more to say but I'll restrain :-)

I did see the effects of the Buzzard's Bay oil spill (which was a drop in the bucket compared to this) in 2003 when we used to keep our boat there and it was NOT pretty. The water was disgusting that whole season, dead fish + birds, see here:

http://www.buzzardsbay.org/oilspill-4-28-03.htm

Our boat was gross coming out of the water at the end of that season, with an oil-stain mustache all around.

I feel for those of you (us?) affected by this current situation.
Melissa Abato
www.sailmahalo.com
Dean Abramson

Post by Dean Abramson »

I also apologize for going down the political road; I would have more to say but I'll restrain
Okay. But I'll brace for an earful next time I see you!

:-)

Dean
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
John Vigor

Fame at last

Post by John Vigor »

Excuse me, but are you the nationally famous Dean Abramson, CD31 owner, who is quoted in the latest BoatU.S. magazine?

Yours awefully,

John V.
Dean Abramson

Guilty as charged

Post by Dean Abramson »

The writer called me about photos. That part did not work out. His own photos are very nice, by the way. While he had me on the phone, Rick asked me if I was a member of the Maine Island Trail Association...

Next thing I knew, I was a quotee.

It all happened so fast...
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Re: Guilty as charged

Post by Oswego John »

Dean Abramson wrote:
It all happened so fast...
One of the first things that I learned early on is:

NEVER WASTE A GOOD SEGUE TO A JOKE

About a week ago I heard a noisy ruckus in my back yard. It was dark so I turned on tha flood lights to see what the dogs were barking at.

What I saw was a terrible sight. It seems that a turtle was crossing my back yard when he was mugged by three slugs. I ran out to help stop the mayhem. I called the local animal control officer as well as the SPCA. The officer started to question the turtle about a description of the three slugs who got away, maybe give a description of them.

The dazed turtle just shook his swillen head and said that he wasn't able to help much with a description.

You see, "IT ALL HAPPENED SO FAST"

Enjoy, :D
O J
Think about the total scenrio.
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490