Port hole gasket problem

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

gaskets

Post by trapper »

I guess I did it the expensive way--. But, I purchased the gaskets from spartan marine. I think about $15 ea. They are already to install. You just clean out the old ones. On both my 22 and the 25D, the gaskets were very brittle and came out of the grove with very little residue left. Putting the new ones in, however, took 6 hands. I followed the directions on a thread on this board.

I cleaned out the groove and then applied the gasket glue (special glue-- get it at the auto parts store).

We (1 person outside the boat and 2 inside) started at the top and lowered the port as we installed the gasket with the bottom center --the last to be installed. Then we closed and latched the port until the glue dried. The installation process was very quick. From start to finish, probably about 1 hour or a little more for the six portlights in the 25D. The 22 was a little more difficult because there is not as much room to work and the portlights are the same size.

What a difference new gaskets make! Good luck with the project.
johnny of STORK
Taos, NM
San Carlos, Sonora, MX

Partial roll 8605K44 ?

Post by johnny of STORK »

Anyone have a partial roll (I think I need around 30' for 8 ports) of the Mcmaster # 8605K44? PM me if you have some extra you want to get rid of.

Johnny
captzigzag

Post by captzigzag »

Failed to mentioned the materials used to install gaskets.

Flexable, very thin, steel putty knife, remove gasket and pick what's left
one edge razor blade, to cut material
pliers, to pull old gasket lose
super glue, to join ends
permatex, to seat gasket
water and rag, worked best to clean track

When you really get good, it's over.